Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Family Channel Fall Lineup

Life With Derek (Season 4)
    Premieres Sunday, October 5 at 7:48 p.m. ET/PT (18 x 30 min; comedy)

Award-winning series Life With Derek is back for its fourth and final season. When Nora McDonald marries George Venturi, she and her daughters, Casey and Lizzie, move into the home George shares with his three children, Derek, Edwin and Marti. The struggle for power is immediately underway as the sweet but indomitable Casey (Ashley Leggat) and her new stepbrother Derek (Michael Seater) clash both at home and at school. This season the blended family deals with prom, first dates, a birthday party and some BIG family news.

Available online at Family.ca and on Family OnDemand.

The Latest Buzz (Season 2)
    Premieres Friday, October 3 at 6:30 p.m. ET/PT (26 x 30min; comedy)

In this ensemble comedy, five 14-year-old writers learn about the fast-paced world of publishing, all while living the faster-paced life of a teen. Struggling youth-oriented magazine Teen BUZZ decides to replace its staff with actual teens. Instead of being in class, they will take their last period of the day at the posh offices of Teen BUZZ. Vanessa Morgan, Munro Chambers, Justin Kelly, Zoë Belkin, and Demetrius Joyette star.

Zoey 101 (Season 4)
    Premieres Friday, October 3 at 6 p.m. ET/PT

Zoey (Jamie Lynn Spears) and her equally charming and stylish friends are back for another year at the cool co-ed beachside boarding school, Pacific Coast Academy. A new year means new classes, new adventures, new friends and even a new roommate. Grab your books and head back to school with Zoey, Chase, Michael, Logan, Lola, Quinn, Dustin and the rest of the PCA student body.

The Suite Life on Deck
    Premieres October 2008 (26 x 30 min; comedy)

It’s the Suite Life on the high seas when twins Zack and Cody enroll in a semester-at-sea program aboard the SS Tipton, a luxury cruise liner that docks at ports around the world. Also on board on this offshoot of the hit series The Suite Life of Zack & Cody are London, whose father knows it’s the one school she can’t ditch, and hotel manager Mr. Moseby, who has been reassigned to the SS Tipton. While they're out to sea, Zack and Cody still have their compass pointed towards mischief.

The Wizards of Waverly Place (Season 2)Disney Channel Premieres October 2008 (26 x 30min; comedy)

Alex Russo (Selena Gomez) and her two brothers, Justin (David Henrie) and Max (Jake T. Austin), engage in typical family squabbles with one significant difference – they are all wizards-in-training. While their parents run the family business, Waverly Sub Station, the three siblings get into and out of comedic situations as they grapple with both their budding wizardly powers and typical teen challenges spanning school, friends and family.

Hannah Montana (Season 3)
    Premieres November 2008 (24 x 30 min; comedy)

Miley Stewart (Miley Cyrus) has lots of friends, lots of teenage problems, and oh yeah, lots and lots of fans. In the third season of the hit show, the teenage pop idol continues to lead her double life, as an international singing sensation by night and ordinary teenager by day. Now in their sophomore year of high school, Miley and the gang embark on a whole new set of adventures.

Cory in the House (Season 2)
    Premieres November 2008 (13 x 30 min; comedy)

Cory Baxter is in the house — the White House, that is — where his father is chef to the U.S. President. Cory’s settling into his new surroundings – getting used to living with his father in the staff quarters of the White House and attending an exclusive private school with the kids of Washington’s power elite. This season, the always-scheming Cory gets himself into new adventures with the president’s precocious daughter Sophie, and friends Meena, an ambassador’s daughter, and Newt, heir to a political dynasty. The White house will never be the same.

J.O.N.A.S.
    Premieres March 2009 (26 x 30 min; comedy)

This new series stars teen sensations the Jonas brothers (Kevin, Joe and Nick) as young operatives for the government, a.k.a. Junior Operatives Networking as Spies (J.O.N.A.S.), who thwart evil while working undercover as a superstar teen rock band. The series also stars Chelsea Staub (Minutemen).

Overruled!
    Premieres March 2009 (13 x 30 min; comedy)

Overruled! follows the trials of Jared ”Coop” Cooper (Jacob Kraemer), a 15-year-old whose cool, fun and articulate traits lead him to become a lawyer in Banting High School’s Teen Court. Joining Coop in the school’s legal proceedings are by-the-book lawyer Kaleigh Stewart (Sally Taylor-Isherwood), Judge Tara Bohun (Jasmine Richards) and court clerk Rusty Dougal (Nick Spencer). Coop’s cases include litigation against school uniforms, allegations of science fair sabotage and a trial representing opposing sides of a breakup.

Will Family Channel Canada ever plan to re-brand as Disney Channel Canada?

The majority of their programming comes from either Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. These channels are quiyr popular in the US and are big money makers.

It's only a matter of time. But since some programming is spread over to YTV and Family Channel together. I can't see this happening. Also because Family Channel Canada operates commercial free. These programs can't cost a whole lot to acquire from the US I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBCTV View Post
    It's only a matter of time. But since some programming is spread over to YTV and Family Channel together. I can't see this happening.
    Even though Disney Channel programming may be across more then one channel, it could very well happen that Family could swoop in and mark some sort of exclusive rights deal with Disney Channel for all their prgramming in Canada; just look at what happened with HBO Canada.

Will Family do that, or even change its name to Disney Channel? I wouldn't doubt an exclusive rights deal for programming, but a rebrand? I would say not as likely because Family is a strong brand but it could very well happen I guess, Astral has been on a rebranding spree lately with rebranding some of their properties to match a foreign brand, ie, HBO Canada, Virgin Radio stations and NRJ radio. But personally I'd rather them keep the Family name; why abandon the Family brand just for an American one, meh, keep the Family name.

Will Family Channel Canada ever plan to re-brand as Disney Channel Canada?
    Anything is possible but I think if they wanted to change the name to Disney Channel Canada they would have already done so. It would give them instant brand recognition but I think one reason they don't want to change it is because they air content from other networks so you can't call it Disney Channel if you are also airing shows from Nickelodeon or TeenNick?!

However I do think they should change the name of the channel to something else as the current name has no correlation to the programming they air. When I see the word 'family', I think of good wholesome programming that the entire family can sit down and watch. This is not a family channel, it airs most programming from Disney Channel (as was mentioned) which is aimed at a younger audience, teenagers. Is Hanna Montana or Jonas Bros. something that the whole family would sit and watch- I seriously doubt it! This channel is way overdue for a makeover including new name- at least IMO.

Treehouse on the other hand is a very strong brand and I wouldn't touch that name at all.
    Last edited by TVJunkie5; 09-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJunkie5 View Post
    Anything is possible but I think if they wanted to change the name to Disney Channel Canada they would have already done so. It would give them instant brand recognition but I think one reason they don't want to change it is because they air content from other networks so you can't call it Disney Channel if you are also airing shows from Nickelodeon or TeenNick?!

However I do think they should change the name of the channel to something else as the current name has no correlation to the programming they air. When I see the word 'family', I think of good wholesome programming that the entire family can sit down and watch. This is not a family channel, it airs most programming from Disney Channel (as was mentioned) which is aimed at a younger audience, teenagers. Is Hanna Montana or Jonas Bros. something that the whole family would sit and watch- I seriously doubt it! This channel is way overdue for a makeover including new name- at least IMO.

Treehouse on the other hand is a very strong brand and I wouldn't touch that name at all.
    I agree, if they wanted to re-brand they already would have.

As for them not re-branding to Disney Channel because they want to air other programming, usually it doesn't matter, but in this case I have a feeling Disney would have a problem with it, If you notice most of the other Disney international channels are run and owned by Disney, since this one would be run by Astral, I don't think Disney likes the idea that Astral could air other programming (Nickeloden,ect..) on Canada's Disney Channel.

I really don't see the Family channel re-branding anytime soon, it's a pretty strong brand for it's target demo.

With Astral launching Disney XD in June and already have launched Playhouse Disney(Soon to be Disney Jr.) I think they need to re-brand Family to reflect a more Disney name. It would be nice to have a Disney Channel Canada but if they don't go that route why not re-brand it as Disney Net?
    Last edited by jfoley85; 03-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.