Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I still don't know how the likes of Book/Bio/G4 have lasted this long.
    We talked about this earlier in this thread : They're Cat A specialties, every BDU in the country *must* distribute them. With guaranteed subscriber revenues and minimal expenses in programming production and acquisition, they're easy millions of dollars money-making machines.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    bpm:tv posted on their website their planned shutdown for June 1st.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,942
    GolTV Canada will be shutting down on August 31, as per a revocation of license notice posted on the CRTC website.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    GolTV Canada will be shutting down on August 31, as per a revocation of license notice posted on the CRTC website.
    This channel's deal to carry soccer from Germany has ended, a couple of years after they also ceased carrying games from Spain. There wasn't much left other than Toronto FC game reruns (after they had been shown live on TSN or Sportsnet) and pre and post game shows -- the type of stuff that can go on their website without the need for a 24-hour TV channel.

    As I described earlier in this thread, I think we'll see a whole lot of TV channels, probably more than most people seem to expect, disappearing in the next year or two. I know the conglomerates will continue to own almost all of the content that will be capable of attracting large numbers of viewers and they'll find other ways to make us pay, but with pick-and-pay and streaming (btw, CraveTV will become available to non-TV subscribers), I don't see how most of the existing TV channels can attract enough paying subscribers to continue in their present form. It may be easier to list the ones that will survive, most likely the general entertainment and sports channels.
    Will there be many non-senior citizens left in Canada paying for (non-internet) cable or satellite TV service a few years from now?
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 07-13-2015 at 08:19 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    This channel's deal to carry soccer from Germany has ended, a couple of years after they also ceased carrying games from Spain. There wasn't much left other than Toronto FC game reruns (after they had been shown live on TSN or Sportsnet) and pre and post game shows -- the type of stuff that can go on their website without the need for a 24-hour TV channel.

    As I described earlier in this thread, I think we'll see a whole lot of TV channels, probably more than most people seem to expect, disappearing in the next year or two. I know the conglomerates will continue to own almost all of the content that will be capable of attracting large numbers of viewers and they'll find other ways to make us pay, but with pick-and-pay and streaming (btw, CraveTV will become available to non-TV subscribers), I don't see how most of the existing TV channels can attract enough paying subscribers to continue in their present form. It may be easier to list the ones that will survive, most likely the general entertainment and sports channels.
    Will there be many non-senior citizens left in Canada paying for (non-internet) cable or satellite TV service a few years from now?
    I don't think we will see a lot of channels go off the air at the most 20% what we might see is a fair amount of rebrands.
    Last edited by ottawasnowdog; 07-14-2015 at 09:08 AM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    I don't see how most of the existing TV channels can attract enough paying subscribers to continue in their present form. It may be easier to list the ones that will survive, most likely the general entertainment and sports channels.
    I half-disagree. GolTV became a joint venture of Rogers, Bell and Kilmer. With TSN splitted into 5 channels, Sportsnet into 7 channels (plus seasonal SN World PPV channels), and the ethnic channels airing those same games, GolTV turned into another Fox Sports World Canada, the plug is just being pulled before its "zombie" state.

    Regardless of à la carte and the poor daytime programming quality of existing FX Canada, Rogers thought they needed to launch FXX, just so they could air the few original comedies from the american FXX at the same time, and force a subscription, first by bundling the two channels. Bell could as well repurpose Book, Fashion by rebranding them as USA Network and TNT, while Bravo becomes dedicated to the american Bravo! (rebranding Space as Syfy will be tricky, unless Shaw stops co-producing and buying shows from them) The one-specialty-channel-fits-it-all system that CHUM launched is over. Rebranding is survival mode for broadcasters, eventho the whole channel's lineup will suck except the primetime programming, the only reason to subscribe.

    Point is, when a scripted series premieres, some people want to watch it right away, so they'll subscribe to the specialty channel. Then, they'll PVR the other episodes, read online what other people think of the series, then they'll start binge-watching just before the season finale, which is where services like CraveTV and Shomi becomes helpful if no PVR or the channel doesn't offer a marathon, but ideally commercial-free.

    Edit : For reality TV, it depends. You can keep up with the Kardashians, or with Paris, but (TVViewer will disagree), there's no point of wanting to catch up on reality shows like 'Til Debt Do Us Part, Property Virgins, Princess, or other Slice filler originals on platforms like Shomi.

    Conclusion, more rebranding before shutting down channels.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 07-16-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    As I described earlier in this thread, I think we'll see a whole lot of TV channels, probably more than most people seem to expect, disappearing in the next year or two. I know the conglomerates will continue to own almost all of the content that will be capable of attracting large numbers of viewers and they'll find other ways to make us pay, but with pick-and-pay and streaming (btw, CraveTV will become available to non-TV subscribers), I don't see how most of the existing TV channels can attract enough paying subscribers to continue in their present form. It may be easier to list the ones that will survive, most likely the general entertainment and sports channels.
    Will there be many non-senior citizens left in Canada paying for (non-internet) cable or satellite TV service a few years from now?

    I was reading somewhere that Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Telus to extended would be raising their Internet package prices and whole sale rates as BDU revenues fell to counter their comfortable revenue stream they've had with BDU packages.

    I don't see the death of traditional television as a result of OTT services become the norm, but I see the fall of the thousandth channel universe falling back down to a hand full of channels as OTT services and the Internet replaces the need for a dedicated news channel, or a dedicated history channel or a dedicated music channel, something that only specialty channels provided back in the 80's and 90's when there wasn't any other outlet for such a format to exist. And if you look at Netflix original programming, none of those programs would be able to air on CTV, Global or City because of the harsh programming restrictions and commercial breaks that would prevent or ruin those programs, it's more of a threat to HBO/TMN/Movie Central than it is to CTV, Global or City.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I don't see the death of traditional television as a result of OTT services become the norm, but I see the fall of the thousandth channel universe falling back down to a hand full of channels
    Not necessarily. Canada is importing more than a hundred international channels in different languages if their programming is not competing against existing canadian specialties. But I don't see Pelmorex shuting down TWN to get it replaced with the american Weather Channel. I don't see Shaw shutting down Lifetime and get it replaced with the american Lifetime channel. But on the other hand, Shaw is going a bad job with BBC Canada (take Food and HGTV with a brit accent, put them on BBC, add a few general low-cost shows voilà), so the BBC should either move operations over to Bell, or request a shutdown with an application to import the BBC America signal over, which becomes a little problematic with Orphan Black.

    Netflix original films and TV series will someday somehow make it on conventional TV. Netflix is still expanding, but with thime, syndication is a good possibility.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Not necessarily. Canada is importing more than a hundred international channels in different languages if their programming is not competing against existing canadian specialties. But I don't see Pelmorex shuting down TWN to get it replaced with the american Weather Channel. I don't see Shaw shutting down Lifetime and get it replaced with the american Lifetime channel. But on the other hand, Shaw is going a bad job with BBC Canada (take Food and HGTV with a brit accent, put them on BBC, add a few general low-cost shows voilà), so the BBC should either move operations over to Bell, or request a shutdown with an application to import the BBC America signal over, which becomes a little problematic with Orphan Black.
    I think you misunderstood. I said there would be a handful of specially channels left, like TWN or BBC Canada, but don't think that they simply replace it with the American version; Rogers can't replace OLN or G4 with the American counterparts since they no longer exist.

    Which brings us to another problem, Canadian broadcasters like to spew the lie that Netflix entry into Canada is hurting them by not contributing the broadcast system, but is in fact backwards. Think about it this way; Netflix doesn't have to be in Canada to hurt the Canadian broadcast system, their existence in the US alone along with Hula, and other OTT services are eating away at the specially channels that are left, slowly but surely one day it very well shutdown the Food Network, HGTV, Lifetime, Discovery, Syfy, Bravo, AMC, etc draining the only resource Canadian broadcasters used to stay alive. Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Corus relies on American specially channels to operate, to fill their schedules. Netflix or not, if thoes channels fail, so too with the Canadian equivalent.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    ... OTT services are eating away at the specially channels that are left, slowly but surely one day it very well shutdown the Food Network, HGTV, Lifetime, Discovery, Syfy, Bravo, AMC
    But, but... Netflix helped AMC in a very good and unusual way to boost ratings for low-rated series Breaking Bad in its final season.
    For now, almost all specialties are expecting a similar miracle, while at the same time hoping the first season to be an instant success, otherwise it gets cancelled.

    Rogers considers Netflix as a commercial enemy in canadian territory, but found a good financial business partner while developping Between.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    But, but... Netflix helped AMC in a very good and unusual way to boost ratings for low-rated series Breaking Bad in its final season.
    For now, almost all specialties are expecting a similar miracle, while at the same time hoping the first season to be an instant success, otherwise it gets cancelled.
    True, but it doesn't mean people would be turning into AMC to watch Breaking Bad as it aired. They'll just wait until it went up on Netflix or Hula.

    Even HBO is going after Netflix in the U.S. with the option of a OTT subscription only. Sooner or later they'll all move to some form of OTT service.

    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Rogers considers Netflix as a commercial enemy in canadian territory, but found a good financial business partner while developing between.
    As they should have. I get they are protecting their cable BDU business, but Bell is eating away at that with IPTV, their specialty channel ownership is a joke; OLN and G4 are truly pointless to keep on the air since their U.S. counterparts shutdown, and The Shopping Channel is something that should have shutdown ten years ago with the growth of online shopping.

    ---

    Again, my point isn't that I don't see traditional television shutting down in the future, but the narrowing of specialty channels that will be available on BDU providers. The 1000 channel universe is over, plain and simple.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    173
    Do any confirmations said both Teletoon Retro will may be shutdown or rebrand by Disney Channel this fall? I think the French-Canadian version will be rebrand sooner or later by them but i have none ideas for the English's version fate. Tough their schedule's a bit much better and on shape than on their early days, their repetitive programming and low efforts to newer shows confirm me they will be reband by Disney Channel starting September 1th. But regardless, i don't see that as a good thing since Disney Channel have shown barely quality programs since 2001 outside of their newer cartoons series, which now, they move out on Disney XD in the US, by put the actual Disney Channel existence as useless.
    Last edited by Hedgie-Rover; 07-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    316
    been checking but so far nothing said about Teletoon retro. I hope not. It would though make more sense if they took teletoon itself and rebranded as The Disney Channel as they already have The Cartoon network Canada anyways. If they had any sense they would rebrand Teletoon retro as Boomerang Canada or better yet launch Boomerang Canada but don't see that happening. Guess whatever Corus entertainment tends to do is what they tend to do. We'll just have to wait and see. I see the Cult movie Channel not carried by too many providers just got an approval from the CRTC to revoke their service so that I guess is going on the list of Specialty Channel shutdown

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    I see the Cult movie Channel not carried by too many providers just got an approval from the CRTC to revoke their service so that I guess is going on the list of Specialty Channel shutdown
    Cult Move Channel is not shutting down, they are swapping their license for category B exempt license.

  15. #35


    Bell wastes little time seeking to adapt specialty channels to new TV policy



    OTTAWA - Now that the CRTC has made the big decisions as part of its Let’s Talk TV process, it’s up to the major broadcasters to decide how they want to game the system to their advantage. And Bell Media has already taken the first steps.

    On Monday, the CRTC posted applications from Bell to convert Bravo!,The Comedy Network, Discovery Channel, E!, MTV (Canada), M3, Much and Space from Category A services to Category B. Before the Let’s Talk TV process, this would have been a dramatic and unlikely change. But now it’s just accelerating a process that the Commission would have done anyway when Bell’s licences come up for renewal on August 31, 2017.

    “The over two years until licence renewal represents a lengthy period of time given there is such rapid change occurring in how audiences consume content, and competition for programming content from domestic and international sources has also grown significantly in recent years,” writes Bell in its application. “The inability of certain discretionary services to manage the transition to a more competitive licensing and carriage environment could set them back significantly and the damage could be permanent.”

    The change in category comes with advantages and disadvantages. The main benefit is a reduction in Canadian content exhibition quotas. The services are currently required to devote between 50 and 68 per cent of their broadcast day, and between 40 and 71 per cent of their evenings, to Canadian programs (the amounts vary depending on the service.) As Category B services, both would drop to 35 per cent.

    The main disadvantage is that the services would lose genre protection and access rights, meaning they would no longer be protected from direct competition, (something that, in most cases, has lost all meaning), and TV service providers would no longer be obligated to distribute them. Both of these advantages are being eliminated by the Commission, which effectively removes any distinction between the categories.

    The services will remain part of Bell Media’s designated group, and their Canadian programming expenditure requirements won’t change, meaning Canadian programming will still get the same amount of funding overall. But it will probably mean fewer repeats of Just for Laughs archives, How It’s Made and other Canadian programs that can fill time on the cheap.

    Bell notes that even with these changes, it will comply with broadcasting distribution rules requiring Bell TV to carry three unrelated Category B services for every Bell-owned service it has.

    Meanwhile, Bell has filed 33 applications for licence amendments to its specialty channels to eliminate various conditions of licence related to their natures of service. The conditions of licence generally impose limits on how much drama, music and animated programming they can air to avoid competing directly with Category A services. Bell’s proposals leave only a 10 per cent limit on live sports broadcasts, since mainstream sports services are still being treated differently under the new policy. (The CRTC has asked for measures to prevent RDS Info and ESPN Classic from becoming de facto sports services since their applications don’t propose such a limit.)

    Comments on Bell’s category conversion applications are being accepted until August 19, 2015.



    https://cartt.ca/article/bell-wastes...-new-tv-policy

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754
    Interesting.
    - Genre protection. Any competitor had to submit a nature of service with a variation. Once on air, they could air whatever they wanted since business is defined by acquisitions and production money. In other words, Showcase was able to produce and air sci-fi themed shows (Lost Girl, Continuum) eventho Space had that genre exclusivity, while at the same time airing non-sci-fi related shows like Castle... Bravo is airing anything else but shows about arts.

    - Must-carry status. The CRTC already ruled that any carriage dispute must go to CRTC arbitrage, so no more surprise "signal pull". Bell is already playing the hard card with independent service providers, forcing them to distribute all selected Cat-A channels on basic for a good price, otherwise they'll pay double or triple if placed in a tier, themed or à la carte package. CRTC already sided with the CRTC in recent arbitrage. Losing that advantage doesn't affect them.

    With both advantages gone, they only need to get rid of high cancon quotas, which is what all those 33 applications are for.

    Shaw and Rogers will probably wait for their respective licences to expire, as Bell will always play hard ball with them.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I still don't know how the likes of Book/Bio/G4 have lasted this long.
    Channels like BookTV are money mills, as this HuffPost story shows (at the bottom of page) BookTV rakes in $4.5 million a year in subscriber fees, $30,000 a year in advertiser fees, and after licensing fees and no staff they take away 66% of pure profit.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    been checking but so far nothing said about Teletoon retro. I hope not. It would though make more sense if they took teletoon itself and rebranded as The Disney Channel as they already have The Cartoon network Canada anyways. If they had any sense they would rebrand Teletoon retro as Boomerang Canada or better yet launch Boomerang Canada but don't see that happening. Guess whatever Corus entertainment tends to do is what they tend to do. We'll just have to wait and see. I see the Cult movie Channel not carried by too many providers just got an approval from the CRTC to revoke their service so that I guess is going on the list of Specialty Channel shutdown
    How would that make sense?

    How many Canadians have even heard of Boomerang?

    Teletoon Retro has mainstream name recognition under the nearly-twenty-year-old Teletoon brand.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,338
    I haven't heard of Boomerang much and I only remembered it because it was mentioned here.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    316
    Boomerang is the Classic Cartoon Network in the U.S and it still exists. It is the sister station of The Cartoon network in the U.S.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •