Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    With the broadcasting license renewals scheduled later towards the end of the year, Bell Media has requested its intention not to renew the licenses for the following three music specialty channels:

Juicebox

MuchLoud
    MuchVibe

Source: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/20...-225.htm#item9

CTV and CTV Two previously ran a two-hour block of videos from Juicebox in the early morning hours each weekend. This stopped back sometime in April.

This leaves Much, M3, MTV, MTV2 and MuchRetro as the only music channels that Bell Media intends to keep on the air. Except for Much or MTV, I would not be surprised if some of these channels is subject to rebrand at some point. If not only for its Category A status, I would include MTV2 as a channel to have shut down - like FashionTelevision and BookTelevision in recent years, nothing new or original to offer.

Also, M3 has come up empty in terms of any first run or original programming lately with nothing more than repurposing of shows previously or currently running across other Bell Media specialty channels. For instance, they had the first-run Canadian rights to Pretty Little Liars but lost out to Bravo for the upcoming season.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-16-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Bell requested to not renew those licences because they have less than 200,000 subscribers, and therefore, will be exempted from licensing. They can continue operating, takes one person to program a playlist once a month on all four commercial-free music stations, so virtually costs nothing to operate, and receive subscription revenues (spare change for Bell). When pick-and-pay will be adopted by canadians and revenues will be cut in half, then maybe it'll be time to shut them down.

Also part of the submission, Bell wants to merge the TMN Encore licence with TMN.

What that means : TMN Encore has a "Pay TV" licence, just like DHX's "Family", but it's low-cost so they can be part of pick-and-pay packages (Vidéotron does that). If the CRTC approves, the TMN Encore license won't be renewed, and the two TMN-E channels will join the six TMN/HBO channels. During the Let's Talk campaign, people complained they want HBO standalone (GoT), but they can't. So, goodbye TMN-E, if you want it, pay for the big 18-20$/month TMN package.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 06-17-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    With the broadcasting license renewals scheduled later towards the end of the year, Bell Media has requested its intention not to renew the licenses for the following three music specialty channels:

Juicebox

MuchLoud
    MuchVibe

Source: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/20...-225.htm#item9

CTV and CTV Two previously ran a two-hour block of videos from Juicebox in the early morning hours each weekend. This stopped back sometime in April.

This leaves Much, M3, MTV, MTV2 and MuchRetro as the only music channels that Bell Media intends to keep on the air. Except for Much or MTV, I would not be surprised if some of these channels is subject to rebrand at some point. If not only for its Category A status, I would include MTV2 as a channel to have shut down - like FashionTelevision and BookTelevision in recent years, nothing new or original to offer.

Also, M3 has come up empty in terms of any first run or original programming lately with nothing more than repurposing of shows previously or currently running across other Bell Media specialty channels. For instance, they had the first-run Canadian rights to Pretty Little Liars but lost out to Bravo for the upcoming season.
    If bell Media had any sense they'd re-tool MuchRetro into VH-1 Classics canada and M3 into VH-1 or anything into VH-1 Canada. But that probably will never happen

Isn't VH-1 a junkyard whereby Canadian channels can pick and choose a few things for each of their channels, rather than try to build one channel around mostly garbage.

Super Channel gets Hit the Floor late, but other than that one, most of the other VH-1 stuff will probably end up as filler on our other Canadian channels.

If we did get a VH-1 Canada, it might end up being one of the worst Canadian channels ever.

M3 was a ridiculous rebrand, I know it's MMM, but still, it seems like a ridiculous way to go. I wouldn't even know what to expect to appear there, which obviously makes it easier to program that way. Good for the broadcasters (spread similar content all over the place to keep each channel alive, and all mostly the same strength), but even more confusing for the viewers I would imagine.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Isn't VH-1 a junkyard whereby Canadian channels can pick and choose a few things for each of their channels, rather than try to build one channel around mostly garbage.

Super Channel gets Hit the Floor late, but other than that one, most of the other VH-1 stuff will probably end up as filler on our other Canadian channels.

If we did get a VH-1 Canada, it might end up being one of the worst Canadian channels ever.

M3 was a ridiculous rebrand, I know it's MMM, but still, it seems like a ridiculous way to go. I wouldn't even know what to expect to appear there, which obviously makes it easier to program that way. Good for the broadcasters (spread similar content all over the place to keep each channel alive, and all mostly the same strength), but even more confusing for the viewers I would imagine.
    I was open to the idea of rebranding M3 to VH1 Canada a while back, especially with the number of VH1 shows they actually acquired. I certainly don't feel the same way now. It seems that since the channel went from being MuchMore to M3, it truly lost its identity and become a shadow of what a great channel it once was. There was a time where I found it be better than MuchMusic (its sister station) when it actually operated under the orignal terms and conditions of its license (though the same can be said for many others). Even when it changed over to MuchMore, it still managed to stay fresh with some original and acquired programming.

With the switch to M3, it has been slowly shedding away anything that is worth watching on that channel. They still have their music video blocks in the daytime, but they dropped their weekly countdown show and changed it to Retro 30 before ending its run late last summer. Since then, it's nothing but mostly strip programming of shows that are being repurposed and originally aired on other Bell Media specialty channels. And based on last week's press release for next season's plans, M3 was not mentioned so does this mean they acquired nothing to air on this channel? Last summer, they ran the first season of the now cancelled Australian series Wonderland. Looks like they have no plans to show the rest of the series. They previously had first rights to several shows including Younger (TV Land) and Reign (which aired a night before The CW and CTV Two). Those rights have since moved on to E! Pretty Little Liars went from airing on Much then M3 and now Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    M3 was a ridiculous rebrand, I know it's MMM, but still, it seems like a ridiculous way to go.
    It was suggested on the forum that M3 stands for CTV Three.

Back in the fall 2013, Bell had to deal with NBC's The Voice, ABC's Dancing with the Stars and Fox's American Idol / X-Factor that had many 2-hours shows, while scripted shows were filling up the main CTV network, they needed a cable channel targeting younger demos. Bell launched an HD version of M3, moved Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries and Arrow from Much to M3, added Reign and Ravenswood, added reruns of True Blood, Mentalist, Supernatural and Mike and Molly. Then they let subscribers call their BDU « I want M3 HD so I can watch PLL in HD ».

Ultimately, American Idol was dumped to YesTV, X-Factor was cancelled, CTV lost interest in DWTS, many broadcast shows could move back to CTV Two, the remaining first-run cable shows on M3 moved to Bravo! or E!. On sept 1st, either Book or Fashion will become Gusto, and M3 becomes a useless reruns junk channel.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 06-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell Media acquires the rights to the TBS and TNT brand next year once all the category A content rules expire. I'm guessing Bravo will simply become TNT and either Much or M3 will become TBS. TVLand will likely be another brand that Bell Media will probably try to acquire. I can't see them bothering with VH-1. VH-1 and MTV haven't had any mega hits in years.

Just a note, M3 actually showed all 3 seasons of Wonderland in a row, a pretty good show in my opinion, except for the last part of season 3 (or I missed it somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Just a note, M3 actually showed all 3 seasons of Wonderland in a row, a pretty good show in my opinion, except for the last part of season 3 (or I missed it somewhere).
    Did they really show the entire series? It consisted of 44 episodes over three series (what Australia would refer to as seasons over there). I recall that M3 started running it last summer sometime in late June on Tuesday nights following Pretty Little Liars. On some weeks, M3 would air back-to-back episodes of Wonderland during weeks when Pretty Little Liars was not on and once the latter finished out its run for the season. They would also repeat the show on Saturday afternoons.

From June to September, M3 aired 22 episodes of Wonderland (13 from series 1 and the first 9 from series 2). The last episode to air was "Milestones" . After the first 22 episodes aired, they were repeated again but moved to air only on Sunday mornings and it stayed that way until the holidays.

I do not recall M3 having aired the remaining half of the series, unless there was an error in the listings that whole time. I am pretty sure that once it moved to Sundays, I remember catching an episode that was an encore of what already aired earlier in the summer.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rland_episodes

Bell obviously sees M3 as CTV3, and we see all the Bell channels play hide and seek or bait and switch with so many shows.

TNT and TBS should be here already, but unfortunately we will most likely get Canadian versions soon enough.

Action is basically truTV with a bunch of movies thrown in to the mix ... except Corus owns Action and not Bell.

If Bell can wrestle away the truTV content from Corus, that would make it a nice TNT, TBS and truTV Turner triple play.

truTV is the more low-brow, often silly cousin of TNT and TBS, but I still watch many of the truTV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post

Did they really show the entire series? It consisted of 44 episodes over three series (what Australia would refer to as seasons over there). I recall that M3 started running it last summer sometime in late June on Tuesday nights following Pretty Little Liars. On some weeks, M3 would air back-to-back episodes of Wonderland during weeks when Pretty Little Liars was not on and once the latter finished out its run for the season. They would also repeat the show on Saturday afternoons.

From June to September, M3 aired 22 episodes of Wonderland (13 from series 1 and the first 9 from series 2). The last episode to air was "Milestones" . After the first 22 episodes aired, they were repeated again but moved to air only on Sunday mornings and it stayed that way until the holidays.

I do not recall M3 having aired the remaining half of the series, unless there was an error in the listings that whole time. I am pretty sure that once it moved to Sundays, I remember catching an episode that was an encore of what already aired earlier in the summer.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rland_episodes

You're right I was sure they went midway through season 3 at least, but it was midway through season 2. I was able to get them online but it was not easy as
    Australian shows tend to be harder to find. Here anyway.

They still have it on their website, but that hasn't been updated in a while. They had also a few other shows I forgot, like a Firefighter show from Europe I think. It looks like maybe people were not tuning in so they abandoned the channel and moved all it's shows to their other properties.

Wasn't Comedy Cold once called TVLandd?

If Bell Media wants to rebrand their channels into US brands but as Canadian versions I would do it like this

Much More Retro-VH1
    Bravo-TNT
    Book TV or Fashion TV-TBS

TNT,USA Network,WTBS?(although its approved by the CRTC as a Super Station) and contless others WILL NEVER be allowed in Canada unless thev CRTC changes its way of think.

I've got dish and I can tell you there are tons of US channels with programming that's not available here in Canada? Now whether that programming-shows or series are any good, that all on how on views its?

So with rules changing on what specialty channels can show, the Canadian Broadcasters can't tell me they don't got "new" programming o show because there isif you just buy programs from the non known US Channels, but they won't because there to cheap to.

And if viewers are thinking there seeing the exact same programming as there US counter part OWN US vs OWN Canada etc there kidding themselves because its not. True some shows are the same, but not shown at the exact same time due Can Con content.Even TCM isn't 100% the same TCM US vs TCM Canada is 99% the same in a given monthere there maybe a movie or two not shown in Canada but shown on the US TCM. Also at one time TCM had an issue with HD versions not sure if that's still the case or not. But anyone who thinks there watch the exact same channel IE FX FXX TCM AMC OWN etc as there US counterpart programs as the US version at the exact same time and 100% of so said channel is kidding themselves, because its not.

I don't know what the future of Sppecialty channels will bew in the next few years with Pick & Pay and other changes in the future, and with streaming service and other stuff like that, but it'll be interesting?
    It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.You should try it sometime. What?Don't frown.It just went down.Its fun being weird.You should try it sometime. The Detour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT-QOJG9qQ

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_T View Post
    Wasn't Comedy Cold once called TVLandd?

If Bell Media wants to rebrand their channels into US brands but as Canadian versions I would do it like this

Much More Retro-VH1
    Bravo-TNT
    Book TV or Fashion TV-TBS

TNT,USA Network,WTBS?(although its approved by the CRTC as a Super Station) and contless others WILL NEVER be allowed in Canada unless thev CRTC changes its way of think.

I've got dish and I can tell you there are tons of US channels with programming that's not available here in Canada? Now whether that programming-shows or series are any good, that all on how on views its?

So with rules changing on what specialty channels can show, the Canadian Broadcasters can't tell me they don't got "new" programming o show because there isif you just buy programs from the non known US Channels, but they won't because there to cheap to.

And if viewers are thinking there seeing the exact same programming as there US counter part OWN US vs OWN Canada etc there kidding themselves because its not. True some shows are the same, but not shown at the exact same time due Can Con content.Even TCM isn't 100% the same TCM US vs TCM Canada is 99% the same in a given monthere there maybe a movie or two not shown in Canada but shown on the US TCM. Also at one time TCM had an issue with HD versions not sure if that's still the case or not. But anyone who thinks there watch the exact same channel IE FX FXX TCM AMC OWN etc as there US counterpart programs as the US version at the exact same time and 100% of so said channel is kidding themselves, because its not.

I don't know what the future of Sppecialty channels will bew in the next few years with Pick & Pay and other changes in the future, and with streaming service and other stuff like that, but it'll be interesting?
    Yes as a matter of fact TV Land Canada was re-vamped to Comedy Gold. It would be a surprise if Corus Media changed Deja View into TV Land canada however that may never happen but then again we'll never know what these companies have in store for the future of television.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Yes as a matter of fact TV Land Canada was re-vamped to Comedy Gold. It would be a surprise if Corus Media changed Deja View into TV Land canada however that may never happen but then again we'll never know what these companies have in store for the future of television.
    If any company gets TVLand, it will be Bell Media. I'm pretty sure they have carried most of TVLand's original series including Younger and Hot in Cleveland. Bell Media dropped TVLand brand when TVLand started steering away from just old series which is what Comedy Gold's license is for.

Global had some TVLand content (Happily Divorced, etc. - not sure if that's considered an original TVLand series), but most likely Bell would be the favourite for a Canadian version.

Vidéotron is removing MuchLoud, MuchRetro, Juicebox and Book TV from it's lineup on July 20th (but keeping MuchVibe for some reason). Even if BookTV is a category A channel, they don't have to carry it as it is only mandatory for English market providers.

That probably means that FashionTV will be the one changing to Gusto (hopefully that is the reason they are keeping that one). Probably means also that sooner than later, those other music channel will be shutting down. Funny that they are gone from Bell for a while now and that other providers are still carrying them. Maybe contract not expired with those still carrying them? They are still gettin money for them so until no one significant carries them anymore, they will stay on though. Basically when Rogers and maybe Cogeco stops, they will close them down.