Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

100 Conventional TV Employees Laid Off at Rogers Media, ALL OMNI NEWSCASTS CANCELLED

This is just devastating. Rogers Media has laid off about 100 local conventional television employees, while ALL OMNI newscasts in ALL markets have been cancelled.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    This is just devastating. Rogers Media has laid off about 100 local conventional television employees, while ALL OMNI newscasts in ALL markets have been cancelled.
    Sad indeed. Who will now move into their Yonge/Dundas space as they clearly don't need any desks. Would make sense if they moved 680 there, all the news under one umbrella.

City stations are also facing layoffs, hearing Breakfast Television Edmonton has also been cancelled

Should have seen it coming a long way...

The problem with Omni, they're trying to fit multiple languages into the same channel without giving back to the community (in other words, THIS is your local station that speaks your language, make it count). With hundreds of ethnic channels available on cable and satellite and the lack of commitment from Rogers, the ship has failed.

Sad for the jobs.
    Ethnicity groups in the Toronto CMA : 833k South Asian, 532k Chinese, 397k Black, 230k Filipino, 117k Latin American...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    Sad indeed. Who will now move into their Yonge/Dundas space as they clearly don't need any desks. Would make sense if they moved 680 there, all the news under one umbrella.
    They had recently gotten rid of a bunch of the desks left vacant after the departure of the Fox Soccer show staff. So if they are okay with sitting at lounge tables that would work.

City stations are also facing layoffs, hearing Breakfast Television Edmonton has also been cancelled
    They have added a Dinner Television show though.

Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    They have added a Dinner Television show though.
    Yes, Rogers plans for Citytv Edmonton are similar to what they have done at Citytv Winnipeg, Breakfast Television has been cancelled and replaced with a show even cheaper to produce with even less staff and no news gathering, the difference being Dinner Television will air in the evening from 5:00PM to 7:00PM and wont be a radio show simulcast. BT will remain in the other markets (for now) although other BT's have also faced layoffs.

Here's the Dinner Television Press Release:

Get Ready to Have Breakfast For Dinner! City Edmonton Launches Dinner Television, Premiering May 19

– Hosted by NHL alum Jason Strudwick, with Breakfast Television faves Bridget Ryan, Courtney Theriult, and newcomer Claire Hanna –
    – Dinner Television to repeat each morning with updated local news, traffic, and weather –

EDMONTON (May 7, 2015) City welcomes Edmonton to its dinner party with the launch of Dinner Television, a new, local, entertaining, and interactive prime-time series. Catered exclusively to Edmonton and focusing on community issues from St. Albert to Mill Woods and everywhere in between,Dinner Television launches Tuesday, May 19, and will air on City Edmonton every day from 5 to 7 p.m. MT.

“The dinner timeslot was previously under-served by local programming. By tapping into this unchartered territory, we are able to better serve audiences by delivering fresh, interactive programming that showcases local news, festivals, and relevant events as they happen within the community,” said Jordan Schwartz, Vice President, In-House Productions, Rogers.

Dinner Television will air in an encore presentation each weekday morning from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. MT, with updated local news, traffic, and weather in an L-screen format, offering Edmontonians everything they need to start their day off right.
    Added Schwartz: “We have made exciting changes to our local production to stay relevant in the community. We are confident these programming changes will better engage our audiences in Edmonton.”

Dinner Television will be hosted by NHL veteran Jason Strudwick, who is no stranger to Edmonton having been raised in the city and who finished his NHL career as a defenceman with the Edmonton Oilers. Joining Jason on the show are beloved morning TV personalities Bridget Ryan and Courtney Theriult (both of Breakfast Television Edmonton) and former volleyball player-turned-sports anchor, Claire Hanna.

The new series brings local programming to prime time, providing Edmontonians with the opportunity to participate in local panel discussions that cover a wide range of topics, including parenting, politics, entertainment, and Edmonton sports.

Meanwhile, Rogers is replacing the OMNI newscasts with current affairs / talk shows that wont feature newsgathering. This is similar to how CJNT did local programming when it was operated under Canwest (although CJNT covered more than 3 languages)

From the Rogers PR

OMNI Television announced today a refreshed programming slate, delivering viewers all-new, authentic, and interactive current affairs content that is truly reflective of their communities.

These new half-hour current affairs programs, which replace the newscasts in B.C. and Ontario, will air weekdays in multiple languages and will engage audiences on a more local and topical level while providing a forum for community discussion. The programs premiere May 11.

“Our revitalized programming slate reflects the changing needs of our viewers and reinforces our commitment to delivering the unique and engaging content our audiences want,” said Colette Watson, Vice President, Television & Operations, Rogers. “People are not turning to linear TV anymore for news in ethnic languages. We are investing in programming that has relevance to our audience and the changing demographic of Canada. We are going where our audiences are.”

The new current affairs series will be hosted by veteran OMNI Television on-air personalities and will focus on local issues from the unique perspective of their respective communities. The series will also feature special guests in-studio to tackle the hot topics, such as provincial and municipal news, healthcare, business and the environment. OMNI Television viewers are invited to join the conversation by sharing their opinions, thoughts, and ideas with the hosts via social media.
    In addition, OMNI Television viewers in Edmonton and Calgary will receive award-winning OMNI Television documentaries while viewers in Ontario will be able to watch popular novellas in Italian.OMNI Television continues to broadcast in more than 40 languages as part of its refreshed programming slate, and is the leading multilingual broadcaster in North America.Broadcast details in each market are as follows:

OMNI Television Ontario
    The below series will replace previously scheduled programming in the indicated timeslot. All times ET.

South Asian Today
    will air on OMNI.2, weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 8 to 8:30 p.m. The series will be hosted by Yudhvir Jaswal.
    OMNI: Cantonese will air on OMNI.2, weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 9 to 9:30 p.m. The series will be hosted by Kenneth Li and Candy Chan.
    OMNI: Mandarin
    will air on OMNI.2, weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 9:30 to10 p.m. The series will be hosted by Wei Lee and Jie Yang.

OMNI Television B.C.
    The below series will replace previously scheduled programming in the indicated timeslot. All times PT.

OMNI: Punjabi
    will air weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 8 to 8:30 p.m. The series will be hosted by Jasdip Wahla, Dilbar Kang, and Tarannum Thind.

OMNI: Cantonese
    will air weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 9 to 9:30 p.m. The series will be hosted by Karen So‎ and Otto Tang.

OMNI: Mandarin
    will air weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 9:30 to 10 p.m. The series will be hosted by Bowen Zhang and Tina Song

While the new OMNI programs don't sound bad, it's ridiculous for Rogers to claim that they are eliminating newscasts to serve the needs of their viewers. They are launching the new talk shows because they are far cheaper to produce than a newscast, needs/wants of their viewers have absolutely nothing to do with it. It's absurd to claim that everyone who speaks Mandarin or Cantonese is only interested in watching a newscast from China. Global BC produces Global National Mandarin with no requirement to do so because they know there are a huge number of people who speak Mandarin in Vancouver interested in a newscast that covers what's happening in China AND their city AND their country. A newscast from China does not have a reporter in Vancouver covering stories that impact the local Chinese community.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-08-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Yes, Rogers plans for Citytv Edmonton are similar to what they have done at Citytv Winnipeg, Breakfast Television has been cancelled and replaced with a show even cheaper to produce with even less staff and no news gathering, the difference being Dinner Television will air in the evening from 5:00PM to 7:00PM and wont be a radio show simulcast. BT will remain in the other markets (for now) although other BT's have also faced layoffs.

Here's the Dinner Television Press Release:

Meanwhile, Rogers is replacing the OMNI newscasts with current affairs / talk shows that wont feature newsgathering. This is similar to how CJNT did local programming when it was operated under Canwest (although CJNT covered more than 3 languages)

From the Rogers PR

Right after they celebrate the 25th BT anniversary, they kill off one edition. Sure, we all know it was really 25 years for BT Toronto, but it's still disappointing. Rogers is back where they were when Viner was in charge, they don't care. They had some momentum when Pelley first joined but that has now died off.

The problem with Rogers is that they don't have patience with anything. They expect a quick profit and if it doesn't deliver, it gets killed (I.e. CityNews Channel). I suspect there will be more layoffs to come as it's clear the Nhl deal isn't bringing in as much of the dough and it certainly won't now seeing as there aren't many Canadian teams in the playoffs.

Why doesn't Rogers just shut down Omni BC and Omni Alberta entirely? Heck even in Toronto, they might as well shut down Omni.2 and just keep Omni.1.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Why doesn't Rogers just shut down Omni BC and Omni Alberta entirely? Heck even in Toronto, they might as well shut down Omni.2 and just keep Omni.1.
    I wonder if they want to make one of the Omnis into a "Citytv 2" - they already air enough of City's overflow programming on one of the Omnis. But I'm sure that was nixed by the CRTC.

[QUOTE=j_levent;68703]

Right after they celebrate the 25th BT anniversary, they kill off one edition. Sure, we all know it was really 25 years for BT Toronto, but it's still disappointing. Rogers is back where they were when Viner was in charge, they don't care. They had some momentum when Pelley first joined but that has now died off.

They don't care at all. They are launching a brand new extremely cheap local program in the same time slots as Edmonton's most watched local programs, which are also among the most watched television shows in Edmonton. Doing less news is exactly what viewers in these markets don't want. Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton are markets where newscasts rank in the top 5 and top 10, even more newscasts in the top 20, and even more in the top 30. Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton are the only 3 markets in the country where CTV News ranks #2 yet they produce more local news in these 3 markets than they do in any other market. These are markets that can't get enough news and Rogers has now eliminated news gathering in Edmonton and slashed newsgathering yet again in Calgary and Vancouver. I don't expect them to produce as much news or spend as much on news as Global or CTV in these markets but to eliminate news entirely? Rogers is now producing the local programming typically done by a cable community channel with less resources and staff than the community channel in these markets.

The problem with Rogers is that they don't have patience with anything. They expect a quick profit and if it doesn't deliver, it gets killed (I.e. CityNews Channel). I suspect there will be more layoffs to come as it's clear the Nhl deal isn't bringing in as much of the dough and it certainly won't now seeing as there aren't many Canadian teams in the playoffs.

My problem is their solution to the broken model for conventional television is to just not produce local news. They are fine spending money on massive advertising campaigns and court appeals to ensure local television stations are forced under a money losing model, and then respond by cutting or eliminating local news at their own stations across the country. City and OMNI are losing lots of money, the losses at these networks are unsustainable but Rogers has done everything it could possibly do to ensure City and OMNI are forced to operate under an unsustainable business model.

That being said, this all goes back to the CRTC. The CRTC needs to remove their unnecessary and ridiculous regulations that are forcing local television into this dire financial situation. If conventional networks were actually given a viable business model then the CRTC could impose more strict local news requirements and Rogers (along with all broadcasters) would actually have a reason to fullfill them. The CRTC can't do this under the advertising only business model because the result will likely be Rogers simply shutting down the City and OMNI networks. If the CRTC is going to force Rogers to commit more to local news there needs to be an upside to operating a conventional network. Unfortunately, all the CRTC is doing is forcing local TV under an unsustainable business model and then encouraging broadcasters to make cuts to their news operations with things like eliminating Canadian content requirements in daytime. When the CRTC announced this job cutting decision I had a bad feeling that if Rogers could find a way to produce a show even cheaper with even less staff than BT that can be aired in the evening then BT would be cancelled outside of Toronto, and that's exactly what happened in Edmonton. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton is just a test market (it's hard to use Winnipeg as a test market since it's not a PPM market). The bar isn't set very high, all Dinner Television needs to do is perform better than the Murdoch Mysteries repeats and we could see Dinner Television replace BT in all markets outside of Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    I wonder if they want to make one of the Omnis into a "Citytv 2" - they already air enough of City's overflow programming on one of the Omnis. But I'm sure that was nixed by the CRTC.

The English programming on OMNI is almost non-existent compared to just a few years ago despite the fact that the CRTC allowed Rogers to air more non-ethnic programming in primetime. OMNI used to rely on syndicated shows but now all the most popular syndicated shows Rogers buys are scheduled on City instead. Rogers did get their hands on the FOX serialized drama Empire which is one of the biggest hits in the last decade in the U.S. (and crushing the ABC comedies City was airing in Canada) but here in Canada was scheduled on OMNI with very little promotion and OMNI News Punjabi Edition as a lead-in. I'm all for OMNI getting a hit U.S. show but they need to do a better job than just throwing a brand new show with no promotion in the primetime slot following OMNI News Punjabi Edition and expecting success with U.S. shows. They would have been better off moving the ABC comedies that already have an existing audience to OMNI and putting Empire on City after it debuted so huge in the U.S.

It was baffling to watch what happened over the past few years...

1 night/week: delay/cancel Omni News broadcast, to air overflow TV shows from City
    Cancel Omni News broadcast because no one watches.
    Repeat.

CityNews Channel was not advertised or anything.

Makes you scratch your head.

[QUOTE=timecode;68722]

It was baffling to watch what happened over the past few years...
    It's really sad. When Rogers bought Channel M (which is now OMNI Vancouver), the station had over 100 employees producing high quality news and a news sharing agreement with CTV Vancouver.
    1 night/week: delay/cancel Omni News broadcast, to air overflow TV shows from City
    Cancel Omni News broadcast because no one watches.
    Repeat.

CityNews Channel was not advertised or anything.

Makes you scratch your head.
    This fall Rogers also moved OMNI Vancouver's Mandarin and Cantonese newscasts from their longtime 8:00PM & 8:30PM time slots to 6:00PM and 6:30PM. While this did give these newscasts a head start over the 7:00PM broadcasts of Global National Mandarin on Shaw Multicultural Channel and Cantonese news on Fairchild, it also meant these newscasts aired directly against Global's News Hour and CTV Vancouver's 6:00PM newscast. In addition, these newscasts were also pre-empted every Thursday so OMNI could simulcast Thursday Night Football with CBS and SportsNet. So, not only did they continue to make massive amounts of cuts to OMNI News, but they also forced OMNI News viewers to seek out their competitors.

BT will remain in the other markets (for now) although other BT's have also faced layoffs.

Speaking of other stations, among those let go is high profile CityNews Toronto anchor Tom Hayes

Speaking of other stations, among those let go is high profile CityNews Toronto anchor Tom Hayes
    Not surprised. I don't know what possessed him to make the move to City from CTV in the first place. It seems they tried to fit him in, but they couldn't. I always thought he would end up being Gord's replacement or the 11pm anchor with Roger taking the 6pm spot if/when Gord retires. Maybe he'll end up being the 6pm anchor for global

BT Edmonton personality Michele McDougall had to find out about the sad news at the start of her holidays. she shared this public facebook post with her twitter followers

THE DAY WE LOST BT EDMONTON:

I was on days off - the day I got laid off. I was just about to board a plane for a family weekend in Brandon when the email came. The boss wanted to see everyone in the studio after the show.

I sent messages to my work mates, reminding them to let me know 'the instant' the meeting was over. Perhaps it's an announcement of our new host, maybe we'll learn about summer remote shows ..or so I thought. The farthest thing from my mind was the gutting of more than half the current staff, including me.

The last message from one of my colleagues before wheels up said: "Something's going on, HR is here." "Oh oh" I wrote back, and then powered down. Oddly enough, that's exactly what happened to BT Edmonton - they powered it down.

When I turned my phone back on, there were dozens of shouting emails: "BT's cancelled", "We're all laid off", "No joke - we're done!" Among those messages were a few from the boss - voice mails too.

When I called him back: "Today was the last day of BT, the company has impacted jobs, and we're offering you a package." My jaw dropped, my stomach flipped, and I made a throat-cutting action to my brother and sister who were as stunned as I was.

full blog post: https://m.facebook.com/michele.mcdou...55651063075144

It's sad Rogers doesn't allow farewell broadcasts for all the local newscasts they cancel leaving facebook posts as the only way for the personalities to say goodbye to their viewers.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-14-2015 at 03:46 PM.

BT Vancouver's traffic anchor Michel McDermott has been among those let go. BT Calgary already has traffic delivered by the Rogers radio station, BT Vancouver's weather is also delivered by a Rogers radio station meteorologist
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.

...It's sad Rogers doesn't allow farewell broadcasts for all the local newscasts they cancel leaving facebook posts as the only way for the personalities to say goodbye to their viewers.
    Where have you ever heard of a radio or TV station firing a bunch of people and then letting them back on the air on LIVE programming to spout off? As far as I know from hearing stories about this happening at radio stations that suddenly change format, the usual procedure is to invite them back one a time, now often spread out over the course of a day or two, and briefly allow them back inside escorted by security to clean out their desks.
    https://jabartlett.wordpress.com/200...ites-the-dust/
    ... the way format changes affect people behind the scenes. The usual drill is to fire the whole on-air staff, and this is almost always done without warning. You show up for work, you’re ushered into the general manager’s office, and 10 minutes later, you’re cleaning out your desk. Nowadays, there’s sometimes the added wrinkle of a security guard to escort you from the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Where have you ever heard of a radio or TV station firing a bunch of people and then letting them back on the air on LIVE programming to spout off?

Seriously? It actually happens all the time at Canadian TV stations across the country. And for the record, they don't "spout off" because they aren't idiots, they know that doing that will ruin any chance of employment in the future. There are MANY examples of other Canadian stations allowing cancelled local shows to produce farewell shows with laid off staff. There are even many examples of Canadian stations allowing laid off employees of local newscasts that have not been cancelled to remain on-air after they have been notified of the layoff.