Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    ... they don't "spout off" because they aren't idiots ...
    I apologize to any media employees I may have offended by an overly broad generalization implying that they are idiots who may be prone to childish behaviour, like throwing temper tantrums with juvenile ad hominem insults, inexplicable and ridiculous psychopathic raging against a particular network, etc.
    I'm not sure how that image could have been placed in my mind.

Interesting read :

Diversity uncut as Rogers dismantles multilingual TV: Goar
    http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comme...l-tv-goar.html

====

My take on this : Rogers makes millions of profits from Sportsnet. They look down at Omni and figure out their audienceship resets itself everytime the next show switches language, and they're not making money producing local news in different languages. Cut cut cut.

What Rogers should do : sell off Omni.1 or .2 to a group of Toronto-based passionate producers who will operate the station as a cooperative.

Canwest Global failed miserably operating CJNT-TV Montreal from 2001 to 2009, it was sold to Channel Zero for 7$. Just like Omni is right now, worthless. Rogers, get out of the ethnic TV business. Telelatino does better, with local productions and acquisitions.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    I apologize to any media employees I may have offended by an overly broad generalization implying that they are idiots who may be prone to childish behaviour, like throwing temper tantrums with juvenile ad hominem insults, inexplicable and ridiculous psychopathic raging against a particular network, etc.
    I'm not sure how that image could have been placed in my mind.

I just don't get it. It's not that you made the insulting comment, it's that you think others are going to be offended because of what you said. I'm not sure if you were actually concerned that you offended someone but you really need to learn that it's not possible for someone like you to offend someone. I just don't get it. People like you send in insulting comments to stations all the time, it's about time you guys realize that they don't make an impact. I understand that someone like you would have the views you have, but I don't get how people like you are delusional enough to think sending in your opinion is actually going to make a difference. Are you guys not aware of how little everyone you are insulting thinks of you? Why waste your time throwing around silly ad hominem insults (my favorite word you have used so far is weasel, which unfortunately was never directed at me) for anyone you dislike (me, politicians, executives. and that's just who you attacked on this forum) when they will A). never read it, or B). not care about what you think? This is why stations need to start sending the hate right back towards people like you, if you guys just knew how little everyone thinks of you so much time could be saved from reading the letters people like you send in.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-19-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Rogers sure got skewered earlier this week

http://www.cpac.ca/en/digital-archives/?search=rogers&orderby=relevance

Keith Pelley was asked why OMNI is eliminating news while others like Fairchild are not. His response?

"OMNI has advertising revenue and that is all it has. So the specialty networks all have two forms of revenue [advertising+subscription fees]. Its hence the reason that conventional broadcasting, not just OMNI, is in trouble, and if, if changes don't happen, then you're going to see the likes of CTV, you're going to see the likes of City, you're going to see the likes of Global, and you're going to see all the over the air networks change dramatically [referring to cuts to news] in the coming years"

Of course, he ignores that Rogers is in favor of what he admits is why OMNI and City are in financial trouble. He also said how audiences for newscasts were declining (while ignoring that Rogers also made massive budget cuts to OMNI's newscasts that had dramatic impacts on the quality, in addition to time slot changes and constant pre-emptions of these newscasts) and how the U.S. strip programming that has always supported OMNI was not as profitable as before (while ignoring that the most popular strip programming has been moved to City and now takes up 50% of City's weeknight schedule from 7:00PM to 11:00PM, and the fact that Rogers continues to buy additional strip programming for City)

He also ignored that everyone is losing money on news but Rogers is the only one just refusing to produce news.

One valid point Rogers did have (that they repeated in pretty much every response) is that they are still meeting their condition of licence even though they are no longer producing newscasts (or in some cases local programming). Yes, some had issues that Rogers didn't inform the CRTC of plans to eliminate the production of newscasts at OMNI's licence renewal, but the reality is the CRTC renewed OMNI's licence with no requirement to produce local newscasts, and they did so despite warnings from unions representing Rogers employees and statements from Rogers Media employees informing them just how uniquely horrible Rogers commitment to news is. The CRTC knew that Rogers had already eliminated OMNI newscasts in Calgary and Edmonton, they were informed by employees of how much Rogers had gutted OMNI News in Vancouver and CityNews in Vancouver, yet OMNI's licence was still renewed with no condition to maintain local newscasts or maintain the current funding of local newscasts. So while Rogers certainly deserved everything that was said to them, Rogers isn't the only one slapping these communities in the face. The CRTC is just as much to blame as they have forced conventional stations under a dire financial situation with no requirements or even incentives to not make cuts to news. Many felt very strongly that Rogers shouldn't be allowed to get away with not producing local newscasts at these OMNI stations so in my opinion it is unfair to just grill Rogers for why these newscasts have been cancelled without grilling the CRTC for why they allowed Rogers to cancel these newscasts in the first place.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-19-2015 at 01:48 PM.

I think the feds have made a huge mistake and they know it why did they not call Cbc/Ctv etc to the carpet when they made cuts to the news but when Omni does they do this very well could back fire on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I think the feds have made a huge mistake and they know it why did they not call Cbc/Ctv etc to the carpet when they made cuts to the news but when Omni does they do this very well could back fire on them.
    Well, CBC and CTV (and Global) have only made cuts to news while Rogers has totally eliminated the production of newscasts at OMNI. In addition, for some of these languages OMNI was the only source for local news. Fairchild offers Cantonese news in Toronto and Vancouver and SMC/globalnews.ca offers Global National Mandarin in Vancouver but OMNI was the only one doing news in languages like Punjabi and Italian. They are going after Rogers because it's an election year and they have a bunch of citizens telling them how furious they are at Rogers for eliminating the only Canadian newscast in their language, so they look good to the public attacking Rogers for cancelling these newscasts. However, as I said above it's wrong for them to only attack Rogers when they are still meeting their CRTC condition of licence. They need to focus on why Rogers is allowed to eliminate the production of newscasts instead of just attacking Rogers for their decision to do so. They need to acknowledge that the CRTC is just as responsible as Rogers for the elimination of these newscasts.

Even though they look good doing it, telling Rogers how horrible they are and telling them how viewers of these newscasts are going to boycott Rogers services is not going to get Rogers to bring these newscasts back. Rogers knew that people would be upset when they made the decision to cancel these newscasts, so telling Rogers how upset and angry people are at Rogers isn't really going to do anything. They need to focus on the CRTC and the regulation that is allowing Rogers to cancel these newscasts and forcing conventional television under an unsustainable business model if they really want to see these newscasts return
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Sure there are issue but even take pick and pay there are many that don't think multi culture channels should be subject to the pick and pay rules as it would hurt those areas if were really going to say its a free for all to cut Canadian content and channels but multi culture news and channels can't be touched I think were going to see huge issues ahead.

Well, CBC and CTV (and Global) have only made cuts to news while Rogers has totally eliminated the production of newscasts at OMNI. In addition, for some of these languages OMNI was the only source for local news. Fairchild offers Cantonese news in Toronto and Vancouver and SMC/globalnews.ca offers Global National Mandarin in Vancouver but OMNI was the only one doing news in languages like Punjabi and Italian. They are going after Rogers because it's an election year and they have a bunch of citizens telling them how furious they are at Rogers for eliminating the only Canadian newscast in their language, so they look good to the public attacking Rogers for cancelling these newscasts. However, as I said above it's wrong for them to only attack Rogers when they are still meeting their CRTC condition of licence. They need to focus on why Rogers is allowed to eliminate the production of newscasts instead of just attacking Rogers for their decision to do so. They need to acknowledge that the CRTC is just as responsible as Rogers for the elimination of these newscasts.

This is something that we've all know for awhile now. The CRTC is pretty much allows the broadcasters dictate the license requirements, and they throw in some "minimal" requirements to make it look like they do something.

Even though they look good doing it, telling Rogers how horrible they are and telling them how viewers of these newscasts are going to boycott Rogers services is not going to get Rogers to bring these newscasts back. Rogers knew that people would be upset when they made the decision to cancel these newscasts, so telling Rogers how upset and angry people are at Rogers isn't really going to do anything. They need to focus on the CRTC and the regulation that is allowing Rogers to cancel these newscasts and forcing conventional television under an unsustainable business model if they really want to see these newscasts return
    There is no doubt the model is broken. The question is how do you fix it without giving too much power again to the big three? If it VFS? How much do you charger? Should CTV get more money per station than Global? What stops them from using VFS outside local programming? You can regulate it, but what stops Bell, Rogers or Shaw that might just shutdown the conventional network and move to an specialty channel only system if they can't get their way?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Who says that people want to watch Canadian news in their own language? Aren't they watching sports and soaps and news from back home? People have more choices now (cable channels, internet streaming) to watch channels from "back home" which was not possible when CFMT launched in the early 80s, so I'll bet you many of them no longer need CFMT to watch TV in their language. I think that was one of the arguments as to why they shut down Italian Edition, that it wasn't making as much money anymore.

So these channels can't make money anymore, or not enough for Rogers shareholders. Okay fine.

Then why have ethnic channels around? Because you make good citizens, I believe, if an immigrant can watch news in their language, that is about local politicians and issues, so that they can participate more in life in Canada. Some new Canadians focus more on what is going on back home; others get involved in what happens in Canada.

So if it is essentially a public service, no longer a moneymaking venture, then I think the CBC needs to step up and take over ethnic news broadcasting in Canada.

Back in the days before there was a lot of Canadian media, the CBC was started to counter all the American programming from across the border. I think we are out of danger of that now, we have CanCon which built the Canadian music industry, and we have a good Canadian film and TV industry now (Quebec cinema maybe putting out better stuff IMO ;) ). The CBC in fact duplicates a lot of what is done on private Canadian TV networks. So maybe now the time is right for them to take over the ethnic language Canadian news business.

Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    So if it is essentially a public service, no longer a moneymaking venture, then I think the CBC needs to step up and take over ethnic news broadcasting in Canada.
    (...)
    The CBC in fact duplicates a lot of what is done on private Canadian TV networks. So maybe now the time is right for them to take over the ethnic language Canadian news business.
    With Lacroix managing the CBC/SRC, everything is going down the drain. Hard decisions had to be made, like shutting down the shortwave radio signal targetted at west-african and west-european countries (there's the internet for that), adding advertising on the commercial-free radio stations while cutting off many local shows, being replaced with network shows.
    But shutting down 620 analog transmitters at the same time was stupid, leaving many mid-sized markets without a CBC or SRC OTA signal. Lacroix also think all canadians should subscribe to cable TV and pay subsscription fees to get CBC and SRC on basic, on top of the 1.1 billion that the government give them to operate.

I skipped many examples, but Lacroix wants to run the CBC like a private network, make millions of money in salaries for him and his friends (that is where the 1.1 billion is going to).

That being said, ethnic languages are not part of CBC's mandate. They target english, french and aboriginal languages (up north). The immigrants will keep tabs on whatever is happening in their originating countries, while for children born from immigrants, their life is here, they went to our schools with your kids. Not only the internet makes it easier to get international news in any languages, but most immigrants are also able to watch local news in english and/or french. Rogers terminating OMNI local news in any language is easily justified.

At this point, you only need one ethnic-community channel where local shops will shoot and put advertisements to air, targetting local communities. The problem for Rogers is they're not making enough money. They could use the Montreal example and sell one Omni station to a cooperative. What to do with the other Omni ? Hmmm.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

[QUOTE=timecode;69264]

Who says that people want to watch Canadian news in their own language? Aren't they watching sports and soaps and news from back home? People have more choices now (cable channels, internet streaming) to watch channels from "back home" which was not possible when CFMT launched in the early 80s, so I'll bet you many of them no longer need CFMT to watch TV in their language. I think that was one of the arguments as to why they shut down Italian Edition, that it wasn't making as much money anymore.
    There are people who speak these languages who have made it clear that they are interested in watching Canadian newscasts in their own language. Rogers has competitors voluntarily producing newscasts in languages like Mandarin and Cantonese, OMNI News did have an audience, just not as big as before, but there are lots of programming that falls under this, it's not realistic for Rogers to expect newscasts to be the only programming they have to not experience any ratings decline. The argument that programming is available on more channels and platforms can be used for anything OMNI, City, and FX broadcast, and if anything local ethnic newscasts are the one thing that should be somewhat immune to the availability of foreign channels on cable and online. Ratings for CTV and Global's news programming are high despite all the new competition from online & other channels because they are offering unique quality news coverage online competitors & non-Canadian competitors can't match. When it comes to the ratings for OMNI newscasts, the concern shouldn't be that these foreign newscasts are available, the concern should be that Rogers has gutted OMNI News to the point where some viewers choose newscasts from another country that ignores all the local stories and issues they care about.

The problem isn't that there is no interest for ethnic news, the problem is Rogers isn't interested in producing news period, regardless of language, and the reason Rogers isn't interested is because the OTA business model for conventional television is broken and not financially sustainable. OMNI is facing the exact same financial challenges as small market English conventional stations, the advertising only business model is broken and news is unprofitable at small market stations across the country, it's just so far Rogers has been the only one to just stop producing news at its local stations. It's not really surprising to see Rogers eliminate the production of ethnic newscasts when they just eliminated their news operations in Edmonton and Winnipeg and yet again slashed the budget of already significantly understaffed news operations in Vancouver and Calgary. CityNews doesn't even have the resources to pull of a English language evening newscast in Vancouver which is the 2nd largest English market in the country.

Rogers is trying to make ethnic news look like the problem, but Rogers admits that ethnic news was never profitable, it has always been subsidized by U.S. programming, which is the case for pretty much ALL Canadian programming at ALL broadcasters. It's possible to turn a profit on news if the station is #1 in a large market but the vast majority of news programming and virtually all Canadian programming is unprofitable with advertising alone and is subsidized with profits from U.S. programming or in the case of specialty channels subscription fees. Rogers has moved all the popular U.S. programming from OMNI to City and has done everything they can to ensure that local stations like OMNI can not access subscription fees.

So these channels can't make money anymore, or not enough for Rogers shareholders. Okay fine.

Then why have ethnic channels around? Because you make good citizens, I believe, if an immigrant can watch news in their language, that is about local politicians and issues, so that they can participate more in life in Canada. Some new Canadians focus more on what is going on back home; others get involved in what happens in Canada.
    Exactly. English news is a public service as well, it's a good thing not all broadcasters operate like Rogers because if they did local news wouldn't exist outside of large markets.

Back in the days before there was a lot of Canadian media, the CBC was started to counter all the American programming from across the border. I think we are out of danger of that now, we have CanCon which built the Canadian music industry, and we have a good Canadian film and TV industry now (Quebec cinema maybe putting out better stuff IMO ;) ). The CBC in fact duplicates a lot of what is done on private Canadian TV networks. So maybe now the time is right for them to take over the ethnic language Canadian news business.
    I agree this is definitely something CBC should be involved in. There are so many people in some markets who don't have a local newscast in their language while CBC is producing extremely low rated English newscasts that are getting crushed by English newscasts from CTV and Global and even lower rated French newscasts in markets where not even remotely close to enough people speak French for a local French newscast to be justifiable. In Vancouver the near non-existent number people who claim to only speak French get their own local newscast in addition to several Canadian French language newscasts from Quebec while there is no Canadian newscast, let alone a local Vancouver newscast for languages spoken by significantly more people. Even when you look at the language spoken most often at home, I don't see how CBC can justify producing a French language newscast in Vancouver when more people speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Panjabi, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc.. There is no way CBC can claim newscasts in these languages are not viable when they are producing one in French not registering in the ratings, the advertising revenue alone would be significantly higher. I'm not saying CBC News should go entirely ethnic, I don't think they should give up on English and French news entirely, but in my opinion CBC would be providing more of a public service producing newscasts in the languages Rogers has abandoned in markets like Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton where CTV and Global share a monopoly on the English news audience and almost nobody speaks French. Toronto is another market to look at as well.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-11-2015 at 06:58 PM.

There are people who speak these languages who have made it clear that they are interested in watching Canadian newscasts in their own language. Rogers has competitors voluntarily producing newscasts in languages like Mandarin and Cantonese, OMNI News did have an audience, just not as big as before, but there are lots of programming that falls under this, it's not realistic for Rogers to expect newscasts to be the only programming they have to not experience any ratings decline. The argument that programming is available on more channels and platforms can be used for anything OMNI, City, and FX broadcast, and if anything local ethnic newscasts are the one thing that should be somewhat immune to the availability of foreign channels on cable and online. Ratings for CTV and Global's news programming are high despite all the new competition from online & other channels because they are offering unique quality news coverage online competitors & non-Canadian competitors can't match. When it comes to the ratings for OMNI newscasts, the concern shouldn't be that these foreign newscasts are available, the concern should be that Rogers has gutted OMNI News to the point where some viewers choose newscasts from another country that ignores all the local stories and issues they care about.

The problem isn't that there is no interest for ethnic news, the problem is Rogers isn't interested in producing news period, regardless of language, and the reason Rogers isn't interested is because the OTA business model for conventional television is broken and not financially sustainable. OMNI is facing the exact same financial challenges as small market English conventional stations, the advertising only business model is broken and news is unprofitable at small market stations across the country, it's just so far Rogers has been the only one to just stop producing news at its local stations. It's not really surprising to see Rogers eliminate the production of ethnic newscasts when they just eliminated their news operations in Edmonton and Winnipeg and yet again slashed the budget of already significantly understaffed news operations in Vancouver and Calgary. CityNews doesn't even have the resources to pull of a English language evening newscast in Vancouver which is the 2nd largest English market in the country.

Rogers is trying to make ethnic news look like the problem, but Rogers admits that ethnic news was never profitable, it has always been subsidized by U.S. programming, which is the case for pretty much ALL Canadian programming at ALL broadcasters. It's possible to turn a profit on news if the station is #1 in a large market but the vast majority of news programming and virtually all Canadian programming is unprofitable with advertising alone and is subsidized with profits from U.S. programming or in the case of specialty channels subscription fees. Rogers has moved all the popular U.S. programming from OMNI to City and has done everything they can to ensure that local stations like OMNI can not access subscription fees.
    First, CityNews outside of Toronto was canceled under CHUM with it plan sale to Bell. Second, anything that Rogers touches turns to S#!@, and VFS wouldn't fix the problems that they've created at City or OMNI, they're even losing viewers and money from the former CBC cash cow know as HNIC and the NHL Playoffs. The problem is they need to rebuild OMNI and City profile and coverage from the ground up, but lack the talent, knowledge or willpower to make it happen. The smartest thing they can do is to put up the "For Sale" sign, it would be better in the long run for City/OMNI, Rogers and the employees who remain at these stations.

Exactly. English news is a public service as well, it's a good thing not all broadcasters operate like Rogers because if they did local news wouldn't exist outside of large markets.
    I could point out that Shaw's recent centralizing its news in Toronto is a sign that they're cutting news outside larger markets. But let's focus back on the your point of a public service, that sounds all well and good, but it's just empty words these days. Rogers is only obligated to it's shareholders and making a profit to it's shareholders, and if it means dumping English and foreign language news to make a profit, they will, plain and simple.

I agree this is definitely something CBC should be involved in. There are so many people in some markets who don't have a local newscast in their language while CBC is producing extremely low rated English newscasts that are getting crushed by English newscasts from CTV and Global and even lower rated French newscasts in markets where not even remotely close to enough people speak French for a local French newscast to be justifiable. In Vancouver the near non-existent number people who claim to only speak French get their own local newscast in addition to several Canadian French language newscasts from Quebec while there is no Canadian newscast, let alone a local Vancouver newscast for languages spoken by significantly more people. Even when you look at the language spoken most often at home, I don't see how CBC can justify producing a French language newscast in Vancouver when more people speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Panjabi, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc.. There is no way CBC can claim newscasts in these languages are not viable when they are producing one in French not registering in the ratings, the advertising revenue alone would be significantly higher. I'm not saying CBC News should go entirely ethnic, I don't think they should give up on English and French news entirely, but in my opinion CBC would be providing more of a public service producing newscasts in the languages Rogers has abandoned in markets like Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton where CTV and Global share a monopoly on the English news audience and almost nobody speaks French. Toronto is another market to look at as well.

They could, but unlike other broadcasters, they have to have French language across Canada under law, which would require a change through parliament. A law that hasn't been changed since 1991, and adding other language broadcasts would take a huge amount of investments, something that the CBC keeps losing every year just to launch another language broadcast in under serve markets where Rogers has abandon
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Here we go again...

Rogers Media to cut 200 jobs, 4% of total
    TORONTO — Rogers Media has told employees that the company's workforce will be reduced by four per cent, affecting 200 jobs in television, radio, publishing and administration.

The Toronto-based company says the cuts are part of efficiency efforts at Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B), one of Canada's largest telecom companies.

A memo to Rogers Media staff says the job cuts will begin in February and will conclude as soon as possible.

It didn't immediately identify which indivdual people, programs, publications or locations will be affected.

By The Canadian Press

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016...dmin-jobs.html
    http://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-story/...bs-4-of-total/

“Today's announcement impacts all areas within Rogers Media, except the Toronto Blue Jays,” said Andrea Goldstein, the company's senior director of communications, in an email.
    The layoffs were necessary in order to keep the Toronto Blue Jays afloat. So it's actually good news, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat-smash.gif 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	138
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

A memo to Rogers Media staff says the job cuts will begin in February and will conclude as soon as possible.
    I misread that at first "will continue as long as possible"