Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014-15 Renewed/cancelled shows for Citytv and OMNI

As the American networks are announcing their pilot pickups to series for the 2015-16 season, they've also made formal announcements for shows that have been renewed and cancelled.

This thread will be updated in the upcoming days as more announcements are made.

Renewals and cancellations issued so far (Updated May 11)
    New shows from 2014-15 season in BOLD

Renewed:
    The Bachelor (ABC)
    2 Broke Girls (CBS)
    Black-ish (ABC)
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)
    Empire (FOX)
    The Middle (ABC)
    The Mindy Project (moving from FOX to Hulu)
    Mike & Molly (CBS)
    Modern Family (ABC)
    Mom (CBS)
    New Girl (FOX)
    Scandal (ABC)
    Scorpion (CBS)

Cancelled:
    Backstrom (FOX)

Cougar Town (TBS) (ended run)
    Glee (FOX) (ended run)
    Parks & Recreation (NBC) (ended run)
    Revenge (ABC)
    Weird Loners (FOX)

Information obtained and confirmed from various sources including Deadline, The Futon Critic and TVLine
    Last edited by lostjon; 05-25-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Moved The Mindy Project to list of renewed shows

It will be interesting to see what Rogers does do they keep the plan they had last year and pick up the same amount of American shows or do they pick up more and have less repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Rogers does do they keep the plan they had last year and pick up the same amount of American shows or do they pick up more and have less repeats.
    As I had suggested on another thread, my ideal scenario would be for Rogers to move the Sunday evening Hometown Hockey games to Sportsnet, so City can go back to having a regular lineup of American shows in competition with CTV and Global.

Meanwhile, Hockey Night in Canada would continue airing Saturday evenings on City under the same current format, with coverage of games being split across various channels including CBC and the Sportsnet channels. Overall, HNIC generates a larger audience as more viewers would typically tune in on Saturday nights as they have for many years, not to mention the doubleheaders airing on CBC, than they would on Sunday.

As we saw this season, the Sunday evening hockey games on City struggled even when competing with the likes of the NFL Sunday doubleheaders that aired on CTV.

Last edited by lostjon; 05-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Does Rogers repeat their American shows more than the other guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    As I had suggested on another thread, my ideal scenario would be for Rogers to move the Sunday evening Hometown Hockey games to Sportsnet, so City can go back to having a regular lineup of American shows in competition with CTV and Global.
    Hometown Hockey drew about 20% more viewers than what CITY was showing last season. Why do you want them to go back to that?

Hmmmm, yes and no.

Hometown Hockey was basically a show around a live hockey game. I never watched it, but there was that production bus that I guess had pre-recorded bits months ago whose sole purpose was to promote hockey on one of the many Rogers channels... Was there live sections as well in the host cities (meaning they had to go back) ? Anyways, the "promo" bus made served its purpose. With recent budget cuts at Omni, I don't think Rogers will be "game" to cross-country again with the bus this year.

As we stated at this exact same time last year, hockey on City served to increase their cancon quotas. Since the playoffs (only on conventional CBC), City is back to its old habits, with Murdoch Mysteries and OLN fillers. 3 hours of Murdoch every Saturday night, how cruel !!!
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Yes, most of Hometown Hockey (other than the NHL game) was live from the host cities.

The Mindy Project will be staying on City, even though it's moving to Hulu.

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/te...dropped-by-fox
    [Mindy returns to City]

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ed-by-fox.html
    [Mindy Project staying on City despite being dropped by Fox]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-25-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added Nat Post link
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Are there many other U.S. non-broadcast-network series that get shown on a Canadian broadcast network?
    I guess simsubbing is unavoidably becoming somewhat less important than it had been.
    Maybe they'll realize the difference between San Francisco cable cars and Toronto streetcars.
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...od-Piece-Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Are there many other U.S. non-broadcast-network series that get shown on a Canadian broadcast network?
    I guess simsubbing is unavoidably becoming somewhat less important than it had been.
    There are few that come to mind.

More recently, City continued airing the last few seasons of Cougar Town when it moved from ABC to TBS. The series just ended this year.

CTV has been showing first-run episodes of Hot in Cleveland (TV Land), and they previously did the same for Anger Management (FX), although delayed by a number of months.

Until last summer, Global sporadically aired the USA network series Psych during the summer months. They could have continued to air American Dad following its move to TBS, but chose to drop it.

Not surprising to see that City will continue airing The Mindy Project even though it will no longer be on FOX, meaning no simsubs.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    The Mindy Project will be staying on City, even though it's moving to Hulu.

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/te...dropped-by-fox
    [Mindy returns to City]

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ed-by-fox.html
    [Mindy Project staying on City despite being dropped by Fox]
    From one of the links above, it included a post on City PR's Twitter account showing that The Mindy Project will air Thursdays at 9:30pm this fall. If that's the case, then Scandal is changing its timeslot, and City looks to be building a two-hour comedy block on Thursdays. They also have Mom at 9:00pm in simulcast with CBS (although not until November once Thursday Night Football ends).

We'll know more when their fall lineup is announced sometime next week - if past years are any indication, that would be Tuesday. Rogers is the first among the three to present their upfronts during the first week of June.

I assume that Hulu Plus (followed eventually by Hulu) will still air the new Mindy Project episodes long before City airs them all. If not, that would be quite an amazing feat. Otherwise, it's business as usual in the US vs Canada content wars.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-25-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Confirmed.
    Rogers has renewed the franchise for a second season of 24 Sundays, with host Ron MacLean back at the helm. The program will move to Sportsnet from the City network.
    Source : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24702297/
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Interesting move. Something tells me the City/conventional TV business at Rogers is on its way out. Layoffs, cancelling shows, shifting programs to their specialty channels, no upfront this year.

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    Interesting move. Something tells me the City/conventional TV business at Rogers is on its way out. Layoffs, cancelling shows, shifting programs to their specialty channels, no upfront this year.
    I don't think its on the way out at all I fully expect City to pick up more shows then they did last year as for a upfronts I don't think any netwoprk Canadian or American will have then 5 years from now just issue a press release now with all that said I think moving Hometown Hockey had more to do with complaints more then anything.

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    That could be a possibility. Both Rogers and Shaw will still hold their upfronts in some form, but they will be scaled back considerably. Only Bell Media will be sticking with the status quo, with their presentation s
    cheduled for Thursday, June 4.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/marketing/shaw-rogers-scale-back-upfront-offerings/article24681574/

I don't think its on the way out at all I fully expect City to pick up more shows then they did last year as for a upfronts I don't think any netwoprk Canadian or American will have then 5 years from now just issue a press release now with all that said I think moving Hometown Hockey had more to do with complaints more then anything.
    City will continue to air Hockey Night in Canada along with the Sportsnet channels and CBC over the next few years, as part of Rogers' NHL deal.

As for show pickups, most likely a little more than last year but still less than what they picked up two years ago. At the very least, this should give them room to air Brooklyn Nine-Nine in simulcast with FOX on Sunday evenings. This was one of the few shows they had to shelve until this spring after the NHL regular season concluded, with episodes airing on occasion when a hockey game was not scheduled or presented at a different time.

Press releases and media kits will increasingly become the standard down the road, especially with overall cost cutting measures in the industry.
    Last edited by lostjon; 05-30-2015 at 05:55 PM.

It's a good thing that Hometown Hockey is moving off City. It's not a good thing for City if they are paying for an expensive hockey broadcast that is ensuring they are not a competitor Sunday nights. It doesn't matter that ratings increased over the year before, it's very easy to increase ratings by spending more, the reality is the ratings for Hometown Hockey didn't meet the ratings projections. Even when there was the possibility of it doing well I was arguing that it made more sense to air on SportsNet, the fact that it bombed on City makes the move to SportsNet even more logical. The best move would probably have been to simply cancel the program and focus on the other nights but I can see why they wanted to try and save face and give it another chance on SportsNet.

It's also bad for City to limit themselves to only weekday programming. Hometown Hockey pretty much meant any Sunday night show they picked up would not be able to air in simulcast. What if one of their hit shows was moved to Sunday night? What if the rights to a hit Sunday night show became available? What if a new mid-season show they pick up gets scheduled on Sundays? Last Spring FOX launched a new comedy that could have easily aired on City had they not already been committed to hockey.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

The Mindy Project will be staying on City, even though it's moving to Hulu...
    ... will air Thursdays at 9:30pm this fall...
    I assume that Hulu Plus (followed eventually by Hulu) will still air the new Mindy Project episodes long before City airs them all. If not, that would be quite an amazing feat. Otherwise, it's business as usual in the US vs Canada content wars.
    I saw her mention on a talk show that the new season had started becoming available, and I see the first two episodes are now on the Citytv website described as "sneak peek" and listed as 'aired Sep. 15' and 22nd. Were they actually shown on the TV channel, or is that just the date they were first made available on the website? One is longer than the other and I would assume does not conform to usual TV time slot constraints.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 09-23-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Were they actually shown on the TV channel, or is that just the date they were first made available on the website? One is longer than the other and I would assume does not conform to usual TV time slot constraints.
    Here we go !
    Viewers Get an Exclusive Online Sneak Peek at All-New Episodes of The Mindy Project, Beginning Sept. 16 on Citytv.com

Can’t wait for the premiere? Now you don’t have to. Fans of The Mindy Project will get a sneak peek at the first seven episodes of Season 4, exclusively on Citytv.com. Each episode will be available onCitytv.com at 12 noon on Wednesdays, beginning Sept. 16.

But wait – there’s even more Mindy on the way! All 26 episodes of Season 4 kick off with the Canadian broadcast premiere, Thursday, Nov. 5 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on City.

If you’ve got Mindy fever like the rest of us, feel free to use the attached .gif to share the exciting news, or retweet it from @City_tv!
    http://www.rogersmediatv.ca/pr_detail.php?id=1253

Renewals and cancellations issued so far (Updated May 11)

Renewed:
    Scandal (ABC)
    I just checked, last night's Scandal season 5 premiere is available on Netflix Canada.

As for Shondaland's HTGAWM, previous season is available on Netflix, but not the new season.
    http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/...0918netflix01/
    Same for Grey's Anatomy.