Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

City Toronto Saturday 10pm Newscast

Since when has City Toronto aired 10pm newscasts on Saturdays? On Saturdays there's news from 10pm-midnight. Its the only day of the week that has news on the station from 10pm-midnight. Does this mean the 11pm hour is a repeat of the 10pm news?

Anyone know they decided to do this?

I never watched City on Saturdays after the hockey game ended, but the 10pm-12am Saturday newscast has been listed in my TV guide for many months. I've never noticed any other days that City had the news from 10pm-12am, so I assume Saturday is the only "special" day.

Is the 11pm hour live? I assumed it was live since City also streams it, and I think the weather girl just mentioned the current time. The live banner is displayed at the top of the screen, so if it's not live, I might have to sue them. ;)
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I've noticed the 10pm newscast for a while too, although I don't really watch CityNews.

What's interesting is this may be a way CHCH will be heading. CHCH has their Ch-ching loyalty program, of which I am a member. About a month ago, they sent a survey to complete, in order to get some extra points. The survey asked opinions about the Ch-ching program, as well as on-air segments and newscasts.

One of the survey questions was "would you watch a 10pm newscast?"

And since CHCH really has no new programming, or many simulcast shows, they could probably pull off a 10pm newscast every night.

They started doing it late last fall following Hockey Night in Canada (I made a post when it first started). Better than using that HNIC lead-in on cancon repeats.

I'm not aware if the broadcast is live or not, but if it's not then CityNews is hardly alone here. CTV National News is produced at 10:00PM ET / 9:00PM CT / 8:00PM MT / 7:00PM PT and it airs at 11:00PM ET/CT/MT/PT while CBC's The National is produced at 9:00PM ET / 8:00PM CT / 7:00PM MT / 6:00PM PT and is broadcast at 10:00PM ET/CT/MT/PT, some of the small market Global stations also wont have live late night or weekend newscasts once production is moved to Toronto (time zones allow for the local segments to be produced throughout the night, although still not possible to be live for all markets)

Ironically, weekend news is much lower rated than weekday news in Toronto than it is in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton yet Citytv Toronto has more Saturday news than any other Toronto station, so they certainly deserve credit for that.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I've noticed the 10pm newscast for a while too, although I don't really watch CityNews.

What's interesting is this may be a way CHCH will be heading. CHCH has their Ch-ching loyalty program, of which I am a member. About a month ago, they sent a survey to complete, in order to get some extra points. The survey asked opinions about the Ch-ching program, as well as on-air segments and newscasts.

One of the survey questions was "would you watch a 10pm newscast?"

And since CHCH really has no new programming, or many simulcast shows, they could probably pull off a 10pm newscast every night.
    The only shows that they have for simulcast at 10:00pm is 20/20 (ABC) on Fridays and 48 Hours (CBS) on Saturdays. I suppose their plan to put a 10pm newscast could work if both of these shows get moved to yesTV. That being said, any idea on what date when the CHCH upfronts will be next month? They did not have one last year due to the provincial elections, and typically, they are held one week after the major Canadian networks.
    Last edited by lostjon; 05-17-2015 at 05:28 PM.

If you're hungry for local news at 10pm, your only option is CP24. I just find it to be an interesting strategy to air 2 solid hours of news on Saturdays.

I don't know about anybody else but I love the news but I don't want to stay up until 11pm to watch it especially when I have to wake up or 5 or 6am. If I were City I'd do a 10pm newscast airing on OMNI and then still do the 11pm newscast. CHCH could always do a 10pm newscast until 10:30 and then air Square Off or even a full-hour newscast. There's got to be a market for it. Unlike City, I just didn't think that market was Saturday nights.

After being removed from the schedule for most of the summer and September, City will once again go back to 10:00PM Saturday newscasts starting this Saturday following the premiere of Hockey Night in Canada. On all other nights, City will continue to air sitcom repeats at 10:00PM leading into CityNews at 11:00PM (except on Thursdays where CityNews starts at 11:30PM with Thursday Night Football airing from 8:00PM to 11:30PM)

So while there are still many serious problems with Citytv Toronto's commitment to news (like how they have a full night of regular programming scheduled on election night instead of election coverage, once again sending CityNews Toronto viewers to their competitors when the polls close), it is nice to see them choose an additional newscast as their lead-out for Hockey.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.