Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Icon6 June, July and August 2015 - American Cable/Satellite and Online Streaming content

So many things to see ... how many will be free?

Some of the content has already aired in other countries, but now the Americans get a taste.

Canada will surely get a large chunk of this content, some simultaneously, some later on.

The link below doesn't include the conventional TV network content, but since that stuff is more widely publicized and easier to obtain, it's less likely to slip through the cracks.

Some of the upcoming content not included in the link below, hasn't been scheduled yet, so there's still more on the way.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-ra...s/201505290129
    [Summer 2015 American content]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-29-2015 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added: last sentence, before the link
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I saw the pilot episode of Clipped --> (10 p.m. June 16, TBS): Ashley Tisdale and George Wendt star in a comedy from the creators of “Will & Grace” set in a barbershop. GRADE: D+ (5.5/10)

I've seen worse, but the bothersome laugh track, boring storyline, and mostly bland and/or annoying cast had me going to the FF-skip button quite often. Nothing really wrong with Ashley Tisdale, and I noticed the female prison guard from Orange is the New Black is in it, but other than those cast members, and a perhaps promising last 10 seconds (I just liked the hit song that was playing), I can't recall anything else worth mentioning. I'll be getting my haircuts elsewhere, but I'll probably give this series just a few quick looks to be certain it's as bad as I think it will be.

EDIT: Clipped premiered on Canada's Comedy Network in Feb of 2016.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 03-03-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: see edit

Proof: (10 p.m. June 16, TNT): Jennifer Beals stars as a doctor who investigates cases of possible reincarnation and near-death experiences.

GRADE: C+ (6.5/10) ... Beals has still got it ... shame about the rest of it.

EDIT: Didn't care for the 2nd episode, but the third episode was much improved (still some skip-jumping required) ... GRADE (for ep#3): 6.8/10 (C+)

http://www.bravo.ca/Shows/proof
    [Proof on Bravo Canada, June 24th]

I watched the pilot and was not impressed (perhaps because I was expecting to be engrossed by the subject matter). It's filmed in BC (perhaps elsewhere too), and boy does this look like a cheap Canadian attempt, even though it's American ... really? Well, you fooled me. Sure, I like the outdoor scenery (BC looks great), but it's mostly drab look reminded me of Remedy, Saving Hope, and many TNT productions that go on for far too long.

It's got Jennifer Beals. That's basically it. The rest is all melodrama, base content that is so flat, it's dead on arrival (flatline). I've seen this series a million times. It should last 2 or 3 seasons, because I suppose that's what the audience might be comfortable with. Not me.

This is one series that I hope gets cancelled, so that Beals can be free to do something better (even though she is still fun to watch in this role, as she carries virtually the entire pilot, save for her sidekick (a Sudanese intern). The brief conversations between the two of them are the best things about the pilot.

Proof could have easily been a CraveTV exclusive, but the ratings should be high enough to justify a Bravo run, rather than to put it were it actually belongs (the garbage ... no, it's not that bad).

You can watch the pilot on the TNT website (disable adblock to view):

http://www.tntdrama.com/videos/proof...e-1/pilot.html
    [Proof Pilot episode on TNT]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 07-01-2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: see EDIT ... added Grade for third episode

Another Period [June 23 - Comedy Central (US) and Much (Canada)]: centers on the Bellacourt sisters, Lillian (Natasha Leggero) and Beatrice (Riki Lindhome), who only care about being rich and becoming super famous (which is a lot harder in 1902). Lauren Ash, Michael Ian Black, Paget Brewster, Beth Dover, Brett Gelman, Christina Hendricks, Brian Huskey, David Koechner, Jason Ritter, David Wain and Armen Weitzman will appear alongside Leggero and Lindhome.

This wasn't on the list of upcoming Cable shows (from the article link in post #1), but as I watched the pilot episode, I did chuckle a few times at the random silliness of it all, even though I had to FF jump-skip through most of it. The cast is good, but since it doesn't appear to be my cup of tea, I can't give it a grade. I'll certainly watch parts of every episode, but I don't expect to be able to sit through each episode without skipping through several scenes to save some time. Perhaps it will grow on me (like tasty fungus).

Highlights: Natasha Leggero's little dog (what it's wearing) + the scenes for next week's episode (I laughed out loud).

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/tcbp...eason-1-ep-101
    [Another Period pilot via Comedy Central - Streaming piracy required for all but the Americans]

http://www.much.com/shows/another-period/
    [Another Period on Much - June 23]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 06-17-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: fixed links

Rizzoli & Isles (Season 6 - TNT June 16 / Super Channel - July perhaps?): I forgot when I stopped watching this series, but I used to look forward to it each week.

I just skip-jumped my way through the Season 6 first episode, and it was too bland to even grade. It just exists. I was hoping for a little spice, but this paint-by-numbers episode was another successful attempt at mediocrity.

Tyrant (Season 2)(FX and FX Canada - June 16): I forgot when I lost interest in this series, but I was curious to see if the first episode of the new season would make me want to go back and watch the episodes that I skipped. Nope. The second season's first episode basically resolved what I was curious about (required some skip-jumping), and now I'm ready to skip-jump my way into the next new episodes, until I get bored again.

Once again I can't grade something that I don't find worthy of my time, but at least Tyrant has some solid situations that might turn out to be interesting enough (like the initial episodes of the first season), at least for a few more episodes. Fingers crossed.