Register

City TV Fall 2015 Schedule

City TV Fall 2015 Schedule

Official Rogers Media press release:
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...etime-Schedule

Source: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/city-fall-preview/

MONDAY
    8:00pm The Muppets (pre-ABC)
    8:30pm Life in Pieces (s-CBS) / The Middle (pre-ABC) (November)
    9:00pm Scorpion (s-CBS)

TUESDAY
    8:00pm Grandfathered (s-FOX)
    8:30pm The Grinder (s-FOX)
    9:00pm Scream Queens (s-FOX)

WEDNESDAY
    8:00pm Empire (pre-FOX)
    9:00pm Modern Family (s-ABC)
    9:30pm Black-ish (s-ABC)

THURSDAY
    8:00pm Thursday Night Football (s-CBS)

THURSDAY (November)
    8:00pm Mr. D
    8:30pm Life in Pieces (s-CBS)
    9:00pm Mom (s-CBS)
    9:30pm The Mindy Project

FRIDAY
    8:00pm Undateable (s-NBC)
    8:30pm The Middle (post-ABC)
    9:00pm World's Funniest (s-FOX)

SATURDAY
    7:00pm Hockey Night in Canada

SUNDAY
    7:30pm Bob's Burgers (s-FOX)
    8:00pm Sunnyside
    8:30pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine (s-FOX)
    9:00pm Family Guy (s-FOX)
    9:30pm The Last Man on Earth (s-FOX)

WEEKNIGHTS (SUNDAY to FRIDAY)
    10:00pm 2 Broke Girls
    10:30pm Two and a Half Men

MIDSEASON
    New shows: Rush Hour (CBS), The Guide to Surviving Life (FOX), Little BIg Shots (NBC), Bordertown (FOX)
    Returning shows: 2 Broke Girls (CBS), Mike & Molly (CBS), New Girl (FOX)
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-06-2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Updated links for schedule

- Surprising : City picks up all of Fox's sunday animations except The Simpsons.
    - It was time they came to their senses : Empire on City.
    - Two seasons later : They picked up Undateable... but it's gonna be live. Will they have the different west-coast version as well ? It looks like NBC's People Are Talking has been picked up by Global...
    Last edited by InMontreal; 06-02-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Lesson learned. Read threads first, post message later.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    - Surprising : City picks up all of Fox's sunday animations except The Simpsons
    - It was time they came to their senses : Empire on City.
    - Two seasons later : They picked up Undateable... but it's gonna be live. Will they have the different west-coast version as well ? It looks like NBC's People Are Talking has been either picked up by Global or ignored...
    Global picked up two sitcoms: People Are Talking (NBC) and Angel from Hell (CBS).

City had the incentive to pick up FOX's Sunday lineup once they decided to give up Hometown Hockey to Sportsnet. That and Global had no room left for most of its animated lineup with two of the CBS Sunday dramas already in simulcast.

Sunday nights are a real bright spot on the schedule. Family Guy isn't a low rated show, it was just made very clear this season that it's a show that needs to air in simulcast. The key audience didn't switch to Hometown Hockey, they kept watching the show in its regular time slot on FOX. While Global was able to find huge success simulcasting hit drama, the gain of CBS drama viewers came at the expense of losing viewers to FOX, but this is great news for City. Global has done very well counter-programming hit drama with Family Guy and I expect City will have similar success. They aren't going to be winning any time slots but they are going to reach a strong audience not interested in drama. If CTV's new untested dramas bomb then City could even outperform CTV in the 9:00PM half hour on Sundays which would be huge for City. Even Bob's Burgers which wasn't very high rated is going to be a major improvement to what City has traditionally performed on Sunday nights. I think City should have also gone after American Dad which has been a solid performer. They could have used the fact that Global will be airing The Simpsons at 7:30PM and scheduled American Dad Sundays at 8:00PM in-between Bob's Burgers and B99.

Counter-programming is clearly their strategy on weeknights as well. They once again went after the leftovers that CTV or Global wouldn't be able to air as opposed to going after shows where they could actually be competitive with CTV or Global in the time slot (for example they didn't pick up any new dramas and now only have 2 dramas on their schedule) I don't think they will have as much success with counter-programming on weeknights though as they are doing so with mostly new untested comedies where the Sunday night comedies are already hits with an established audience. I see them struggling the most in time slots like Mondays at 8:00PM where they don't have the simulcast as they haven't had as much luck with programming out of simulcast as their competitors have. I do think they will see improvements in some slots over last year. I predict Tuesdays will likely see an audience increase as will Thursdays at 9:00PM along with certain time slots on Sundays.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I mentioned when Global basically removed the comedy fro their dramas that Rogers would probably pick them up. Tvviewer then said it would never happen...looks like I was right.

People Are Talking looks like the worst of all the new comedies and launching on Friday pretty much dooms it from the beginning anyway.

So Scandal is completely gone. Again, I would be shocked if nobody picked it up (i.e. CTV for CTV or maybe for Crave or something)

So, Scandal is no longer part of City's schedule, maybe too violent (the reason provided when Person of Interest moved to CTV, but they still kept Hannibal) ? CTV released their fall schedule, so it's clear it hasn't moved there, which gives a few options :
    - dumped to Omni (with fewer ethnic shows, but they should have mentioned it!)
    - dumped to Shomi as exclusive (a clearance move for sept-oct football simsub but Omni is better suited, but idiotic move starting november)
    - picked up by CHCH or YesTV (why would Shonda agree to target the Toronto-only market?)
    - picked up by one of Corus specialties (à la Nashville)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

So, Scandal is no longer part of City's schedule, maybe too violent (the reason provided when Person of Interest moved to CTV, but they still kept Hannibal) ? CTV released their fall schedule, so it's clear it hasn't moved there, which gives a few options :
    - dumped to Omni (with fewer ethnic shows, but they should have mentioned it!)
    - dumped to Shomi as exclusive (a clearance move for sept-oct football simsub but Omni is better suited, but idiotic move starting november)
    - picked up by CHCH or YesTV (why would Shonda agree to target the Toronto-only market?)
    - picked up by one of Corus specialties (à la Nashville)
    Someone also mentioned the possibility that Scandal could have been picked up by Bell for its specialty channels like Bravo.

Exclusive rights to Shomi could be viable in the same case like several of the current shows from The CW (Jane the Virgin, iZombie and recently cancelled The Messengers). Not to mention, Shomi currently has the rights to the first three seasons of the show.

As for OMNI, well, aside from hourly syndicated reruns of Two and a Half Men and barring any major programming conflicts with City, I think the instances for any network primetime programs in simulcast will be rare. They managed to move both Empire and Thursday Night Football to City over from OMNI2, plus less scheduling conflicts and more flexibility this time around. Plus, following the end of the Late Show with David Letterman, it seems they had simply given up the rights to a late night talk show they could have aired in simulcast.

I do not think that yesTV would pick it up. It would not be limited to just the Toronto market as based on last season, they also had an agreement with CHEK Victoria (for Vancouver) along with their stations in Alberta, but their acquisitions have been limited to unscripted shows such as The Biggest Loser, The X Factor UK, American Idol, and America's Funniest Home Videos.

CHCH would be a remote possiblity. Again, not just limited to Toronto, they recently had an agreement with the Joytv affiliate in Vancouver (owned by ZoomerMedia) to carry some shows that are simulcast (The Originals, Last Man Standing) Unlike CHCH, Joytv exclusively aired some CW shows this past season like Supernatural and Hart of Dixie (both shows were dropped from the CHCH lineup, but one of them ended up going specialty on M3). However, it would conflict with The Originals which moves to Thursdays 9:00pm assuming that they have retained the rights to that show.

If the above parties decide to pass, then Corus could very well pick it up down the road. It would actually be suitable for the W Network or Telelatino.

Last edited by lostjon; 06-04-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added notes for OMNI and Corus

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    I mentioned when Global basically removed the comedy fro their dramas that Rogers would probably pick them up. Tvviewer then said it would never happen...looks like I was right.
    I don't remember saying that, I remember stating that Global had not dropped the rights when you asked if they did several months ago, ( http://discuss.channelcanada.com/showthread.php?20447-Winter-Schedule )but I don't remember saying they would never ever drop the rights (and they have still kept the rights to The Simpsons)

That being said, had you asked me last June if I thought Global would drop the rights to some of the FOX comedies I would have said no way. I think it's very short sighted to give up the rights to a hit show without first trying it in POST-Release. Even now I personally would have considered keeping it for the 7:00PM slot in PRE-Release on Sundays, although simulcasting repeats of The Simpsons they would have to air anyway makes sense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post

Someone also mentioned the possibility that Scandal could have been picked up by Bell for its specialty channels like Bravo.

I don't even think that is likely unless ABC pretty much gives it away. The ratings were horrible in simulcast, and specialty channels can't simulcast.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Seeing that City has most of the Fox Sunday night lineup (minus The Simpsons) from Global isn't much of an surprise, we've seen Shaw and Rogers swap programming before. It would also explain how Global ended up with the CBS The Late Show program from Rogers.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    That being said, had you asked me last June if I thought Global would drop the rights to some of the FOX comedies I would have said no way. I think it's very short sighted to give up the rights to a hit show without first trying it in POST-Release. Even now I personally would have considered keeping it for the 7:00PM slot in PRE-Release on Sundays, although simulcasting repeats of The Simpsons they would have to air anyway makes sense as well.
    So are you saying Global will likely ONLY air the new season episodes of The Simpsons in simulcast repeats when Fox airs them from 7-8pm since the 8-10pm block is taken up by Madam Secretary and The Good Wife?

Or are we looking at a post release at 10pm Sunday or the following Friday from 8pm like often this past year?

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    So are you saying Global will likely ONLY air the new season episodes of The Simpsons in simulcast repeats when Fox airs them from 7-8pm since the 8-10pm block is taken up by Madam Secretary and The Good Wife?

Or are we looking at a post release at 10pm Sunday or the following Friday from 8pm like often this past year?
    I don't think that is necessarily the case. Global is finally aware of the shortcomings after moving both The Simpsons and Family Guy in post-release this past season. More people opted to tune in to FOX rather than wait until the 10:00pm hour for both shows to air on Global.

Looking to next season, Global kept The Simpsons, while Family Guy is moving over to City. In this case, a compromise had to be made for both of the animated comedies, but most likely one that would generate the least timeslot conflicts and benefit both Global and City.

Global is looking to make up for all this past season's shortcomings, using 7:00pm primarily for reruns of episodes that they have not already aired (and to which they have the rights) as well as those that can be simulcast on FOX (during weeks it is not pre-empted by NFL). Global will use the 7:30pm timeslot to air new episodes of The Simpsons in pre-release, in the hopes of drawing in viewers who will not have to wait a half-hour later to watch them on FOX, as well as those who choose to tune in to the CBS dramas that follow afterwards. For the most part, new episodes will be airing outside of simulcast but this time, it will be ahead of FOX.

On weeks that FOX is not carrying late NFL games, they could air at most two episodes of The Simpsons (at 7 and 8). Bob's Burgers is on at 7:30pm (and simulcast over on City). So the 7:00pm episode on FOX is a rerun that could potentially air in simulcast on Global while the 8:00pm episode runs a half-hour earlier. On weeks that FOX is carrying late NFL coverage or another show in that slot, then Global has more flexibility at 7:00pm with reruns of The Simpsons that have been on the shelf previously aired on FOX but not on Global.

Barring any developments later midseason, such as using the 7:00pm hour for installments of Big Brother Canada, they won't have to worry about changing timeslots for the most part - we'll see if that's the case next year.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-16-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Two seasons later : They picked up Undateable... but it's gonna be live. Will they have the different west-coast version as well ?
    I caught the one-hour season premiere of Undateable - it was LIVE on both the East Coast and West Coast, so while the cast is working with the same script, expect some differences between both versions. And this will be the case for 13 episodes.

While I do like the concept, I'm not sure if it will catch on - the show took a hit in the ratings opposite Last Man Standing/Dr. Ken (ABC) and The Amazing Race (CBS) pending final adjustments due to be released early next week. Also, there was an MLB playoff game going on during both live versions - one of the cast members made reference to what the score was at some point during the episode.

This does not bode well for the new NBC sitcom Truth Be Told (formerly People Are Talking) set to premiere this coming Friday. As already mentioned, Global has picked up the series for Canadian broadcast.

Now that CBS will have 2 Broke Girls on Thursdays at 9:30pm (Nov 12), CITY will probably air it in simulcast and then not sure what will happen to Mindy. Either Mondays at 8:30pm instead of The Middle, leaving it on Friday or maybe Thursday at 8:00pm?

To be confirmed soon I guess...

Another oddity...

The Middle **Moves to its regular timeslot in post-release Mondays at 8:30 p.m. starting Nov. 2**

October 25 edit : Turns out City scheduled the Halloween episode for monday oct 26th in pre-release. What was previously written doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Mentionned in another thread, Scandal has been picked up by Netflix, available the next day of airing.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 10-25-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Now that CBS will have 2 Broke Girls on Thursdays at 9:30pm (Nov 12), CITY will probably air it in simulcast and then not sure what will happen to Mindy. Either Mondays at 8:30pm instead of The Middle, leaving it on Friday or maybe Thursday at 8:00pm?

To be confirmed soon I guess...
    On their Facebook page it says returning on November 15th. With Sunnyside ending on the 8th, it will be Sunday at 8:00pm I presume. I good match with Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

CBS just announced its winter schedule :
    http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/...20151130cbs03/

Starting Jan 6th, 2 Broke Girls moves from thursdays to wednesdays at 8pm (followed by Mike & Molly at 8:30pm) during Survivor's winter break (6 weeks) which comes back Feb 17th, while Angel From Hell (Global-owned) takes over the thursday 9:30pm slot. Fox's Empire, normally in pre-release at 8pm, is on winter break until March 30th, leaving the slot open for CBS simulcast, with The Middle filling in the Feb 17 to Mar 23 with something else. No date for Rush Hour. When Life in Pieces ends in april, Odd Couple (CTV-owned) takes over, leaving only Mom to simulcast.

Fox moved Brooklyn 9-9 and bring back New Girl to tuesdays, benched Last Man on Earth and added sitcom Guide to Surviving Life and animation Bordertown to sundays. All falls in line for City.
    http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/...20151110fox02/