Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Bell kills independent broadcasters, thanks to the CRTC

If there's a canadian company twisting everything for their own personal gain, it's Bell.

Who can forget when the CRTC increased the LPIF (Local Program Improvement Fund) rate, Bell passed it on entirely to the customer, making 1% more revenues on TV packages into their own pockets.

This year, the CRTC decided to force the introduction of pick-and-pay to BDUs, and Bell did exactly this :
    - Move OutTV ouf of Lifestyle 2 and Best packages
    - Move Stornoway's iChannel out of News and Learning and Best packages
    - Move Corus' OWN from the News and Learning package to Lifestyle 2
    - Move Bell’s FashionTelevision to pick and pay.
    - Drop French crime service Avis de Recherche (loses mandatory status), NHL Network (Rogers is best suited by contract) and Gol TV Canada (MLSE shutting it down).

More details at Greg O'Brien's article on "this article expires after a few days" Cartt service :
    https://cartt.ca/article/bell-channe...D-independents

That's Bell deciding the fate of many independent broadcasters. Bell had already dropped Stornoway's bpm:tv before its shutdown last june.
    Bell shutting down its own Much* Cat B channels, moving its own inferior channels like BookTV out of the "Best" package along with a few Shaw/Corus specialties (companies that can financially handle the downgrade), I have no problem with that. Specifically downgrading independent broadcasters, that's predatory at best.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I'm not surprised, but some channels like OWN make sense as part of a Lifestye package. I'm surprised that iChannel has even lasted this long.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

I had to re-read your post InMontreal, I did not realize that these changes apply to the newer packages, I thought they were only for the older legacy packages?! In light of that, it does seem as though they are targeting indie channels although it appears as though they might be trying to sabotage the ones that don't have a high number of viewers (subscribers don't count as these channels were sold in a package)?! Remember that the CRTC is still mandating that BDU's have to offer a certain percentage of indie owned specialty channels so Bell can't get rid of all of them, even if them wanted to.

I don't see a problem with the OWN change, this is a lifestyle channel and has no business being in a news theme pack. The question to ask is why is this change happening now- this channel was re-branded as OWN over 4 years ago!?

In light of the recent rulings by the CRTC, these changes might not really mean much once Bell is forced to offer smaller theme packs and pick n' pay. Of course knowing Bell they will keep things as is until the last possible moment, meaning December 2016. Depending on how well pick n' pay is received by subscribers, some of these channels mentioned above might not survive- how many will select Fashion Television, i channel or Book Television as part of their pick n' pay channels or in their customizable packages (which thankfully the CRTC has mandated BDU's have to offer instead of just preset packages)?!

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I don't see a problem with the OWN change, this is a lifestyle channel and has no business being in a news theme pack. The question to ask is why is this change happening now- this channel was re-branded as OWN over 4 years ago!?
    The package is named "News AND LEARNING". OWN's licence was and still is for educational content (CLT (Canadian LEARNING Television), Viva).

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Depending on how well pick n' pay is received by subscribers, some of these channels mentioned above might not survive- how many will select Fashion Television, i channel or Book Television as part of their pick n' pay channels or in their customizable packages (which thankfully the CRTC has mandated BDU's have to offer instead of just preset packages)?!
    Well, Bell offers Pick n Pay for Quebec province, but not for Ontario. The independent english-language channels are being kicked out of normal packages way too early, and on Bell's current website, Ontario, I do not see where I can add channels à la carte. So they're basically killing them now.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."