Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Icon14 CBC.ca has VOD content ready to watch BEFORE it airs on its traditional TV stations

I don't know how long this has been going on, but each time I go to the CBC website, I've noticed that complete episodes of CBC programs like Dragons' Den, The Romeo Section, Marketplace, The Fifth Estate, etc. are all available for streaming BEFORE they finish airing on traditional TV stations [even the early-bird airings that air an hour earlier on CBNT (St. John's Newfoundland) and CBHT (Halifax, Nova Scotia)].

Since I also skip the commercials, I can finish all the brand new, unaired CBC content well before it finishes airing on the CBC's traditional TV stations. I'm not sure how early the episodes appear online, but today's Dragons' Den was up by at least 7:55pm ET (although I assume it was ready even earlier). The Romeo Section was available online by at least 8:15pm (though it was probably ready even earlier).

That's a good way to drive eyeballs to the CBC website and bypass traditional TV. No need to even wait until a show finishes airing on traditional TV before you can access the VOD option.

I'm not aware of any other channel that does this, but it is rather handy to be able to watch something online BEFORE it finishes airing on traditional TV. And it's all legal. God bless the CBC.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 11-27-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added CBHT (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Today's Marketplace episode was made available as a VOD stream at about 7:13pm ET (or a bit earlier perhaps) on the CBC website. It only started airing on traditional TV at 7pm ET on CBC's Halifax, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland TV stations. Not bad at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod.../retail-tricks
    Last edited by PokerFace; 11-27-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added Halifax, Nova Scotia

It took longer than usual, but today's new Fifth Estate episode is now available on the CBC website. Perhaps the CBC likes to now wait until there are 15 minutes left in a currently airing show before uploading it to its website. It's still before I can watch it on the Toronto CBC channel (via OTA), so it's still a handy option to have.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2679603914

It appears that CBC places the fresh, new TV episode uploads within its Featured TV section for the CBC player a few minutes before they appear anywhere else on its website.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/tv
    [Freshest TV episodes usually appear here first ... about 15 minutes before the end of the early-bird (an hour earlier) Nova Scotia and Newfoundland broadcasts]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 11-27-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo

When I miss an episode of a CBC show, I hate watching it on CBC Player because it keeps buffering. I have to wait about a week before the problem is resolved. For example, I missed an episode of Heartland and I became so frustrated with it that I make sure I tape the program, if I am not going to be home.

If you have consistent buffering, you can always reduce the quality of the HD a bit and see if that reduces or eliminates the buffering you experience.

With full HD, I will often get some drop in quality for brief moments when I jump ahead or have too many tabs open. By reducing the HD quality to half of the vertical HD bar, I can have more tabs open and a better overall viewing experience. If you have a slow Internet speed like I do, or there is congestion on your network, buffering can sometimes pose a problem, but that can happen on other sites too.

The content that I watch with the CBC player doesn't really require full-HD quality to enjoy it, but even when I have many tabs open, I can still get full HD if that's something I'm in the mood for.

I'm not sure if the CBC player improved its running of the commercials since I last watched the commercials a year ago (some of the commercial breaks would ruin my jumping-ahead attempts with an occasional black screen and audio only -- until I refreshed the page and started again), but without commercials (thank you, adblock technology), I now enjoy the CBC player enough to use it more often than when I had to suffer through the commercials (especially the very loud Telus ones).

Comes in handy for those in Eastern Ontario where I am since CKWS in Kingston and CHEX in Peterborough went CTV and they haven't had an over the air CBC Station available in that area since.