Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    More about how Channel Zero was at running CHCH from the very beginning.

I've worked in front of a camera or microphone for most of my adult life. I started at CHCH in Hamilton in February of 2003. Prior to that I had worked for 3 other television stations and 6 different radio stations. I worked for really good managers at excellent stations and I worked for bumbling incompetents at stations that lost money. When Channel Zero bought CHCH from debt-riddled CanWest in 2009, it "saved" local TV news and allowed all of us to keep our jobs. For that, Channel Zero got a pass. A honeymoon. A get-out-of-jail-free card. Literally. After all, had they not bought us, we would've lost our jobs, so we should be grateful. It was this attitude that continued, unchecked, for years at CHCH. Even though I loved my job, co-hosting with Liz West on "Square Off" and with Bubba O'Neil on "Sportsline", the mood in the building was always pretty bleak. Not a lot of the enthusiasm you'd expect from people who gather and write and produce and deliver the news. Management didn't offer a lot of encouragement or support. Decision were made that baffled even the most seasoned broadcasters. Too many people put in too many hours for too little pay. People were put in positions they had no business being in. Creativity was stifled, and the newsroom and studio were a sausage-making operation, grinding out an incredible 16 hours of local programming a day from Monday to Friday.

Find out exactly what happened the day employees were laid off with the Rest of the MUST READ article here

http://markhebscher.com/the-untimely...-my-t-v-career

Just to add, Mark was not the only one who felt this way. I hinted at this about year ago on this very forum, working at CHCH under Channel Zero was far from ideal. Programming wise, CHCH viewers got a good deal, but there were downsides for employees, downsides not experienced at conglomerate stations.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 12-16-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    More about how Channel Zero was at running CHCH from the very beginning.

Find out exactly what happened the day employees were laid off with the Rest of the MUST READ article here

http://markhebscher.com/the-untimely...-my-t-v-career

Just to add, Mark was not the only one who felt this way. I hinted at this about year ago on this very forum, working at CHCH under Channel Zero was far from ideal. Programming wise, CHCH viewers got a good deal, but there were downsides for employees, downsides not experienced at conglomerate stations.
    Who was the employee that was about to retire in 2 weeks?

I grew up listening to Hebsher on the radio and TV, so it was difficult for me to read his comments and block out the pain in his words. However, when I listened to him tell the story on the Humble & Fred podcast, it was a lot less depressing ... it was good to hear him laugh, while still taking shots at Channel Zero. Would I want to pay the LPIF and other fees to keep CHCH alive? Nope, but others would.

http://www.humbleandfredradio.com/sh...cember-15.html
    [Hebsher appears at the 58:06 mark]

Channel Zero ... From Hero to Zero ... Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

He does seem like someone who would be suited to be a sports and/or talk radio guy. I would think he should probably be able to find something, although radio isn't exactly thriving either, but still has enough people listening in cars.
    Two guys (Cauz and Wheeler) who were on the SunTV Grill Room sports talk show went to TSN Radio after Quebecor dumped the TV station and wasn't able to give away the CKXT OTA licence.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 12-17-2015 at 09:46 PM.

think we can all agree, Channel Zero sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCalgary View Post
    It does seem like the whole shell company thing within CHCH was deliberately, and not very honestly, set up from the beginning to do what just happened.
    The next time I walk past the Channel Zero building in The Junction, I'm going to keep my hands on my wallet and mobile device. Would you sell them programming on credit, or be confident you'd get paid if you had a chance to work for them?

Getting back to the Hebscher interview, his brief impression of Jim 'Shaky' Hunt made me laugh, and the story about initially being sent to the wrong room (the one with the people being retained instead of the other room where they were being fired) was hilarious.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...dbye-1.3367689

He's also completely right about the sports radio stations needing some more irreverence. Most of the guys (not all, there are some exceptions like the previously mentioned Cauz) they have on-air take the sports world way too seriously, when it's just full of subjects begging to be mocked.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 12-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCalgary View Post
    More like, you'd expect the big vertically integrated companies to screw up big time with unions (it happened at Wal-Mart, Quebecor's Journal de Montréal), using tricks to size down and hiring scabs by exploiting loopholes...

When an independent company screws up similarly, you just can't help but rationalize their current financial situation gave them no other choice, they did something great 6 years ago, etc., but what they just did is still wrong and deserve some sort of punishment. In my books, Bell and Shaw are much worse companies since they're privileged and financially advantaged.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Let me start by saying, I don't really watch other local news at 6, but I'm a little annoyed at the topics CHCH has assigned reporters to cover. I don't know what stories other stations are assigning to reporters.

Tonight's 6pm news, more "News" stories were quick voiceovers by anchor Taz Boga. Actual packages by reporters were:
    - Winter storm coming: talked to city and Horizon reps
    - Winter storm coming: Went to Canadian Tire, what are you buying to prepare
    - Boxing week: At malls, asking what are you buying.
    - Stressed adult: pick up a colouring book. Spoke to someone who creates the colouring books.
    Are you kidding me? No bigger news that actually needed a reporter present?
    Last edited by Brad; 12-28-2015 at 05:26 PM.

CHCH will be re-instating the 6:00am hour of Morning Live beginning next week. So CHCH Morning Live will now be live from 6-9am. Not sure if they will continue with the 9-10 repeat of the 8am hour.

I didn't realise this but apparently The Pinkertons which gets aired nearly everyday on CHCH is a program that was produced by Channel Zero. I was wondering why they were airing this show so often. I guess it fills their Cancon quota.

CHCH owner under labour code investigation following bankruptcy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29192992/
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Apparently the CHCH building is up for sale.

This is being reported by sonews.ca, which is a local news website being run by some of the CHCH staff that were terminated last December. When is the CHCH license up for renewal? Because it doesn't feel like there is any intent to extend the license.

There is no information on how much the building is going for, and anyone who is interested will have to sign confidentiality agreements to find out.

Original story: http://www.sonews.ca/#!CHCH-building...f2d5f002c0a752

The listing: http://tours.obeo.com/?tourid=110044...&refUrl=direct

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    When is the CHCH license up for renewal? Because it doesn't feel like there is any intent to extend the license.
    The station's current license expires on August 31. If CHCH does not hold its annual upfronts or acquire any programming for the fall, then it means they have no intention of remaining on the air beyond that date.

In terms of their primetime lineup, there's not many shows being lost. Nashville has been cancelled. Only Rosewood and Last Man Standing are their returning shows, along with 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, 20/20 and Dateline Saturday Mysteries but they're not general huge ratings draws unless they interview a high-profile figure who's been in the news. Plus, they also dropped their rights for some of The CW shows like The Originals and Supernatural by mid season.

The same fate could be in store for Bell Media's CTV Two stations around the same time next year when their licenses are up for renewal.
    Last edited by lostjon; 05-15-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Having the building up for sale is not the end for CHCH, according to an e-mail sent to CHCH staff Monday from Channel Zero. The Hamilton Spectator was forwarded a copy of the e-mail, which states the listing has caused unfounded speculation about the station's future.

Channel Zero President Cal Millar, says in the e-mail, that it is part of a long-term plan to move the operation to a more modern, size appropriate location. But he also says it will be years before the station relocates.

From The Hamilton Spectator: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/65...sted-for-sale/

Not that you can blame them, but the exodus has started for CHCH.

Reporter Sean Leathong recently left for a reporter position at CTV Toronto. And today, CHCH's Assignment Editor and a Primary Anchor handed in their resignations. 6pm Anchor and Producer Nick Dixon has accepted an anchor/reporter role with CP24, and Carly Conway is heading to CTV Toronto.

I don't know how safe anyone feels running over to CTV (Bell Media). Many of the terminated former CHCH staffers are also working freelance roles at CTV Toronto, and CTV News Channel. I mean, Bell Media does cut jobs every year like clockwork.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/66...o-competition/

I noticed that CHCH added FABlife to their weekday line-up. It's a syndicated lifestyle series. Not sure why they would add this considering that it was cancelled back in January. I believe it will continue in syndication until September 2016.

Weird programming choice, but how long will CHCH carry FABLife, anyway? Zap2It has it listed only for a short time (up to June 3rd), so I assume they need to update the listings, or CHCH intends to just run it later on, perhaps even including the reruns.

CHCH is giving their channel away for free online (when the stream is working). Any other Canadian channel doing that as often as CHCH for non-news programming? Tiny Talent Time is on right now. CHCH is a sinking ship.

It looks to me like that there was almost nothing left for CHCH to pick up among the new fall offerings at the L.A. Screenings - based on the details revealed thus far.

Both CTV and Global appear to have acquired a bulk of the new shows (especially with the latter picking up plenty of CBS shows and from its production studio as part of its output deal). City made some key acquisitions among the new FOX dramas and also snatched the second season of Supergirl for the fall season. I suspect that City wound up with the remaining comedies from FOX and its production studio to round out its fall lineup. Netflix was also in competition, though they settled for a couple of CW shows. Not to mention, some titles will be exclusive to other streaming services like CraveTV and shomi.

Heading into this fall, CHCH lost Nashville while gaining only Rosewood and Last Man Standing (the latter of which has been removed from the list of shows on its website). I see no reason for them to pick up any new or returning CW shows, considering how at midseason they dropped both The Originals and Supernatural (for a second time in as many years and it was already been airing on Bell Media's Space channel).

If previous seasons are any indication, they pick up at least one new fall show to go with a returning show dropped from another Canadian network. Back in 2014, they added the Friday ABC sitcoms Last Man Standing, which had been airing on City, and Cristela (both from 20th Century Fox).

They'll probably hang on to the major newsmagazine shows for which they already carry the rights including 20/20, 48 Hours and 60 Minutes, plus look to a mixture of reality shows, syndicated shows (for their daytime lineup) and perhaps some selections of mini-series from overseas.

CHCH is scheduled to hold its upfront in Toronto on Thursday, June 16.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-01-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    CHCH is giving their channel away for free online (when the stream is working). Any other Canadian channel doing that as often as CHCH for non-news programming? Tiny Talent Time is on right now. CHCH is a sinking ship.
    How is CHCH giving away their channel for free?

Basically, if the live stream is online long enough, you don't need to pay for it, even if you can't pick it up with an antenna. It's not a bad thing, just an odd thing that might lead to a fire sale.

Tonight's movie isn't streaming (obviously intentional), but most people don't need to watch old movies that can be had many other ways.

I just think of CHCH as on OTA online channel ... but only while its live stream is working.