Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The live stream isn't 24 hours. Before the cutbacks, only the local newscasts from 4am to 7pm were streamed. Primetime programming wasn't and still isn't. However, programs done specifically for CHCH have started streaming, such as The Pinkertons, The Watchlist, Tiny Talent Time. So basically local programming is still the only type of programming available online. Movies have never been streamed on the website.
    I don't really watch Bloomberg programming, but I'm not sure if those programs are online during the day, since Channel Zero runs Bloomberg Canada.

CHCH live streams pretty much anything produced by CHCH, Bloomberg or Channel Zero. Any of the US programming, syndicated programming and movies is typically not available of streaming.

Bloomberg North can also be streamed on demand via the Bloomberg Canada website.

I assume Wynonna Earp is still streamed on Fridays to match SYFY's broadcast.

Since CHCH doesn't offer VOD on its website, the live streaming is a great way to sample their original programming. The American stuff can be found elsewhere, so it's not needed from a CHCH live stream with commercials.

Right now, they are streaming the B+W 1941 movie, Cheers For Miss Bishop. I assume it's a public domain movie so no need to block it. It's also available on YouTube without commercials.

Anyway, if most or all of CHCH's original programming can be streamed live online (no subscription required), it's still something that the other Canadian channels don't seem to be doing. Having free online VOD would be more convenient, but the free temp stream is good enough.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Live streaming : I don't see the problem here. YesTV, Rogers' Shopping Channel does it also. French-language broadcaster Vtélé is also offering live streaming on their website for their original shows and a few others (UK series Atlantis tonight at 7pm for example).

Quebecor's TVA, Bell's CTV and Shaw's Global are all hiding their live feed behind a participating BDU user/pass, which is stupid for OTA stations.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Would have never thought that YesTV would stream live, but you're right, they do. Mind blown.

A shopping channel streaming live makes sense, and obviously there are people sharing their BDU user passes with others.

Free feels good.

The official CHCH live stream isn't a very good HD stream, if you can even call it HD. It has some macro-blocking and the colours looks washed-out. Oddly enough, the pirate CHCH stream is the exact same feed, except it's 24 hours (all US programming and movies, and even the infomercials), thus it's obviously taken from the BDU online authenticated stream.

I don't know if there's an official free Canadian Weather Channel stream, but the free pirate one (24 hours) is in beautiful HD, so it's probably taken from the authenticated BDU stream. Not that I need the weather channel, but I found it odd that it's available.

Filmon.com or .tv (and other websites) has some free CTV streams, but they look like they are only in 360p (unless you pay for the HD version).

Kodi fans talk of other Canadian channels being available, but I don't do any kodi streaming, or even have kodi loaded.

New Canadian, free streaming feeds go up, and then often come down (or look lousy), but I'm surprised that there are any at all. The US dominates the free streaming market (pirate and official).

Looking for free streams is the only fishing I do. The Internet is the giant net that catches the fish, and then I look them over to see which ones are good enough to consume.

I find it interesting that those pirate HD streams of CHCH and The Weather Channel now seem to be geo-blocked to Canada, but not to the rest of the world.

I've seen Canadian geo-blocking of pirate sites occur before, but it was only for a few hours or days at a time and then the geo-blocks would be completely lifted (usually never to appear again - unless there are some I'm not aware of). I assumed they might have been just an ISP specific geo-block that was caused by some kind of error or technical glitch, otherwise the geo-blocking would have stayed intact.

The timing of this current geo-block is a bit odd (it could be a coincidence I suppose), but since Canada isn't known as a very aggressive geo-blocker, perhaps it's the HD streams that get Canada to pay attention. However, if the geo-block is eventually lifted, I'm going to assume it's yet another glitch.

EDIT: There's no geo-block on my other computer, so there's obviously something different going on with just one of my computers that blocks the live streams from just one site (unless I use DNS trickery). I don't see anything that would cause the one computer to behave differently for just one site all of a sudden, so for now, I guess it's a good thing that there's no universal geo-blocking going on (even though I can't figure out why one computer is having problems).

EDIT 2: It was admuncher that caused the problem with many websites, so once I deleted it or just shut it down whenever it was getting in the way, the problems were gone. Even turning off the filtering for each website failed to fix the problems ... although now that I know the cause of the problems, I might be able to tweak it to get it to be less of a problem, especially since it helps with some extra annoying ad intrusions.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 06-26-2016 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added edit 2

So Thursday was supposed to be the CHCH upfront. Can't find anything but a short article on the CHCH website about it.

The story mainly talks about IndieNET, and what they are trying to do to lure advertisers, but doesn't reveal shows or a schedule. There is a clip from the Programming VP about a show called Right This Minute, a half-hour show where people watch viral videos. Personally, I feel that's a dumb idea.

At least there was some event on Thursday, so I guess the station isn't going off the air at the end of August.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    So Thursday was supposed to be the CHCH upfront. Can't find anything but a short article on the CHCH website about it.

The story mainly talks about IndieNET, and what they are trying to do to lure advertisers, but doesn't reveal shows or a schedule. There is a clip from the Programming VP about a show called Right This Minute, a half-hour show where people watch viral videos. Personally, I feel that's a dumb idea.

At least there was some event on Thursday, so I guess the station isn't going off the air at the end of August.
    I was looking to post a thread regarding the fall schedule for CHCH but there was insufficient information in terms of new shows or even a partial schedule. They used the upfront to introduce the schedules not only for CHCH, but also for yesTV (one station in Ontario and two for Alberta), CHEK, Joytv and NTV. From the clips shown in the video, there was a variety of shows featured including Rosewood, 60 Minutes, King of the Hill, Judge Judy, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy! So based on that, I assume that most of the shows that CHCH already has in their lineup will be returning this fall.

My guess is that CHCH acquired only one new show which is for syndication, instead of primetime. Right This Minute has been on the air since fall 2011. Interesting to note here is that next season marks a change in the show's distribution rights, and it could very well be tied in with their package deal. CHCH recently added FABlife to the daytime lineup several months after the show's cancellation was announced. ABC Home Entertainment and Television Distribution has been the distributor for FABlife and will be taking over the rights for Right This Minute starting this fall.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_This_Minute

Given everything that has happened to CHCH this past season, they have caught a lucky break with the CRTC's announcement to help out independent stations, but that won't take effect until September 1, 2017. As for indieNET, I can see what the initiatives are and it is an interesting concept, but will this work in the long run? This probably would not have been introduced if some of these stations including CHCH and CHEK were not facing any financial troubles as they are at the moment. Their focus seems to be more national now than local, although it's going to be an uphill battle competing with the big three conglomerates.

When I watched the original report on CHCH's Evening News at 6 on Thursday, the co-anchors were talking about Nashville. CHCH had the broadcast rights to the show in its fourth season, the final one to air on ABC. It got cancelled for a short time but has since been renewed by CMT in the U.S. for a fifth season to air sometime next year. While CHCH is hoping for the possibility to retain Canadian broadcast rights to the show, I sense some competition from other parties including Netflix and Corus, with the latter having a good chance to grab them. Corus owns the Canadian CMT channel, and it would fit appropriately in their lineup, along with Telelatino, which also aired the third season. To date, Netflix also has the rights to all past seasons here in Canada.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-18-2016 at 08:54 AM.