Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shaw Media Sold to Corus

Breaking News

Shaw Media has sold Global/Hgtv/Food to Corus for 2.6 billion.

"Corus To Buy Shaw Media In $2.6B mega merger"
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2450790/co...b-mega-merger/

But will they continue the decades-long Global tradition of screwing up attempts to simulcast U.S. broadcast network shows (cutting away to commercial breaks when Colbert is in the middle of a sentence, etc.) ?
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-13-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Wow didn't see this coming (*sarcasm)

Well before Shaw bought Wind I would have expected Shaw to buy Corus. This makes sense as Corus buys Shaw media and Shaw now has liquidity to expand Wind. I wonder if down the road the Corus name is dropped and it reverts to a Shaw named company.
    LOSat

Bye-bye the « You're watching Global, part of Shaw ».

Bye-bye the annoying « You're moving ? We'll do the work for you » ad for Shaw satellite services at every commercial break, and as a snipe at the bottom of the screen during some shows and movies. NO I DON'T WANT IT. GO AWAYYYYYY. Stop pestering me about it every f***ing day for the last two years !!!

Also noteworthy :
    « Shaw did note that it will retain its interest in Shomi, the streaming video service it owns as a joint venture with Rogers Communications Inc. »

Come to think about it, those big transactions takes at least a month of preparation, which just happens around Shaw Media's PR person TVViewer's departure from the forum... Huh. Couldn't have been more convenient.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 01-13-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Further proof that Katherine Heigl content is worth paying for. You go, girl!
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

Come to think about it, those big transactions takes at least a month of preparation, which just happens around Shaw Media's PR person TVViewer's departure from the forum... Huh. Couldn't have been more convenient.
    Was going to say the same thing. He got the news of a likely merger, knew he wasn't going to make the cut due to the "synergies" from the purchaser party and now found no more use to bombard the forum with spam from his soon to be ex employer. Good riddance! He was making Shaw look bad anyways. Should have happened years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Good riddance! He was making Shaw look bad anyways. Should have happened years ago.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

But back on topic, with Corus buying Shaw Media (pending CRTC and shareholder approval), that got me thinking about Global. Might Corus decide to scrap the Global brand altogether and market its newly-obtained OTA stations as independents with individual branding (like, for example, bringing back the BCTV brand for CHAN over in Vancouver)? And how about the three former CBC affiliates in southern Ontario it owns (CKWS/CHEX/CHEX-2) that switched to CTV last year?
    Last edited by GoLocal; 01-14-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Info added

Just think Corus Owns W Network, W Movies, OWN and Shaw owns Lifetime, all of whom are dedicated to Women. Wonder if Corus's Deal proceeds It would mean possible rebranding of some of Shaw Channels or better yet one of their own like W Movies becoming Lifetime Movies Network. Guess only time would tell. Good question about the 3 Eastern Ontario One's CKWS Kingston, CHEX Peterborough and CHEX2 Oshawa Go Local that went from CBC to CTV. I'd like to see SHAW owned Deja View get a makeover more. But then again theres 2 Independent Film Channels IFC owned by SHAW and Sundance TV owned by Corus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GoLocal View Post
    Might Corus decide to scrap the Global brand altogether and market its newly-obtained OTA stations as independents with individual branding
    Not gonna happen, and for one reason : National advertisements.

Rogers had a Citytv station in each province except Quebec, so they brought low-power ethnic station CJNT-DT from Channel Zero so they could get national advertisements from some companies that prefers dealing at one place for multiple stations at a good price.

As for Corus OTA stations, it will depend on either the affiliation contract duration or if Bell give them the boot.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Well before Shaw bought Wind I would have expected Shaw to buy Corus.
    I was thinking the same thing, which is why when I heard the news on the radio yesterday morning it stunned me a bit. Looks like the last nail in the coffin for the old Alliance Atlantis specialties which were the best of the bunch back in the day IMO. This is not a good day if you are a fan of any of Shaw Media's channels, expect to see changes to these channels that will make them much worse than they are now. Corus' channels are crap IMO, they air twice as many ads as other channels (or at least it seems that way to me) and they tend to re-focus channels so they cater to their 2 main demos- women and children. They acquired Scream, a fairly good horror channel and then ran it into the ground by turning it into a horror-light channel to appeal to a female audience. Same with Teletoon Retro, they did nothing with it and eventually just shut it down. I expect Dejaview to be shut down as well as a few others such as IFC & MovieTime as these channels probably skew towards a male audience.

I wonder if the CRTC will force them to sell off some channels, doubtful but you never know?! They should sell off BBC Canada to knowledge who own BBC Kids (not sure if they would be interested in buying it however), they would do a much better job programming the channel then Shaw has done. If I were in charge, I would tweak this channel and turn it into a 'Best of Britain' channel, airing the best content from the UK and not just from the BBC. I wonder what will happen to Global BC1 and the other rumored news channel Global was looking at launching?! Corus only produces the bare minimum as far as local news content on their TV stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do the same with Global to "lower costs".

Just think Corus Owns W Network, W Movies, OWN and Shaw owns Lifetime, all of whom are dedicated to Women.
    Food Network, HGTV and Slice also could be considered 'women's channels' as they more than likely have more female viewers than male.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    They acquired Scream, a fairly good horror channel and then ran it into the ground by turning it into a horror-light channel to appeal to a female audience.
    Actually, Scream was a joint venture of Corus 51% with Alliance-Atlantis 49%. Canwest brought AA in 2008, Shaw bought Canwest in 2010. At that point, the landscape was already "blah", Drive-In Classics turned to dull when Bell bought CHUM in 2006. Specialty channels wanted to attract more viewers so they could get more advertisement revenues, so they programmed mostly mainstream or known movies, which explains the "Dusk" transformation.

Same with Teletoon Retro, they did nothing with it and eventually just shut it down.
    Well, they did something with it : For english Canada, it became Cartoon Network, and for french Canada, it became Disney Channel, both as sub-channels of Teletoon. Operators need to reduce the number of specialties they have, and carriage negociation with the BDUs was something to do all over again. "Disney Channel" as a name itself was easier leverage as negociation point for carriage than Cartoon Network.

They should sell off BBC Canada to knowledge who own BBC Kids (not sure if they would be interested in buying it however), they would do a much better job programming the channel then Shaw has done. If I were in charge, I would tweak this channel and turn it into a 'Best of Britain' channel, airing the best content from the UK and not just from the BBC.
    By the way, Allarco's Super Channel has a program supply deal with UK's Channel 4.
    But it would be easier to shut down BBC Canada and import BBC America. Just blackout/simulcast Space's Orphan Black and it'll be fine. I don't see the point in importing UK shows just to insert commercial breaks every 5 minutes and cut off scenes to fit a 55-minutes show into a 60 minutes slot, and add any "Holmes"-flavor shows for cancon.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    Well before Shaw bought Wind I would have expected Shaw to buy Corus. This makes sense as Corus buys Shaw media and Shaw now has liquidity to expand Wind. I wonder if down the road the Corus name is dropped and it reverts to a Shaw named company.
    Corus and Shaw are still owned by the Shaw family, so really this is more of a shuffle of licenses with the same owner at the end of the day. The only difference I see is they can say their no longer "vertically integrated" as a result.

Or this could be moving towards that long running rumor that Shaw and Rogers would merge or buy each other at some point. Unloading Shaw Media into a complete separate company would allow them to buy Rogers without conflict of ownership. Just a thought...

But back on topic, with Corus buying Shaw Media (pending CRTC and shareholder approval), that got me thinking about Global. Might Corus decide to scrap the Global brand altogether and market its newly-obtained OTA stations as independents with individual branding (like, for example, bringing back the BCTV brand for CHAN over in Vancouver)?
    I doubt they'll be spending the money to bring back BCTV after they slowly ween viewers off it for the Global brand years ago. Plus it cheaper in the long run to pay for one set of graphics and add "B.C., Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc" at the bottom of the Global logo for each station.

And how about the three former CBC affiliates in southern Ontario it owns (CKWS/CHEX/CHEX-2) that switched to CTV last year?
    As for CKWS/CHEX/CHEX-2, they're not officially affiliated with CTV, they just buy their domestic programming rights from them, so I presume they can leave at anytime they want, but if there is a contract to stay, then I would give the educated guess it would expiry somewhere between 2017-2020.

However they may keep them as a unofficial CTV affiliate to appease CRTC, since CHEX-2 is and isn't part of the same market as Global Toronto.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Corus and Shaw are still owned by the Shaw family, so really this is more of a shuffle of licenses with the same owner at the end of the day. The only difference I see is they can say they're no longer "vertically integrated" as a result....
    ...Also noteworthy :
    « Shaw did note that it will retain its interest in Shomi, the streaming video service it owns as a joint venture with Rogers Communications Inc. »
    It's a corporate shell game. Remember the CHCH Hamilton story of just a few weeks back? It wasn't Channel Zero or even CHCH that failed, it was "Channel 11 L.P.", that 'separate' company that ran the news operation that went bankrupt, leaving CHCH and Channel Zero alone to continue.

It's going to be a whole lot of those now separate Corus assets (TV channels) that are going to be running into trouble over the next couple of years while the Shaw ones continue in better condition, although of course they all really have the same owners.
    And you just know the financial well-being of "Corus" will eventually be claimed to have been harmed by their spending of $2.65 billion to buy the TV channels from "Shaw", when it was really just the same owners moving their own money from one pocket to another.
    If I worked for the TV channels, I don't think I would have much confidence in how much longer my job would last. It's being set-up to fail with all the soon-to-be-failing assets, while the ones that will retain some value will stay protected under the Shaw umbrella.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-16-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    It's a corporate shell game. Remember the CHCH Hamilton story of just a few weeks back? It wasn't Channel Zero or even CHCH that failed, it was "Channel 11 L.P.", that 'separate' company that ran the news operation that went bankrupt, leaving CHCH and Channel Zero alone to continue.
    This isn't new, and isn't unique to broadcasters. Shell companies are primarily used for tax reasons, finance and selling assets between companies. Channel 11 L.P. and its parent number company didn't even list the CHCH studio as part of its assets.

Bye-bye the annoying « You're moving ? We'll do the work for you » ad for Shaw satellite services at every commercial break, and as a snipe at the bottom of the screen during some shows and movies. NO I DON'T WANT IT. GO AWAYYYYYY. Stop pestering me about it every f***ing day for the last two years !!!
    Since the day I wrote this, Shaw Media is hammering the hell out of those Shaw Direct commercials on Global Montreal, it's INSANE !!!

MAKE IT STOP !!!

I think CHBC should switch it's Global affiliation to either City, Yes TV, A CHCH-like Independent station or CTV Two, Corus shouldn't own CHBC, Jim Patinson or Blue Ant Media should

Quote Originally Posted by ParamountChris View Post
    I think CHBC should switch it's Global affiliation to either City, Yes TV, A CHCH-like Independent station or CTV Two, Corus shouldn't own CHBC, Jim Patinson or Blue Ant Media should
    I would say its unlikely, but looking into the fact that they still have Global BC repeaters still active in the area, along with CHBC makes me wounder if they could sell it off down the road. Maybe they tried after Canwest collapse and no offers appeared?

Since the day I wrote this, Shaw Media is hammering the hell out of those Shaw Direct commercials on Global Montreal, it's INSANE !!!

MAKE IT STOP !!!

They'll only stop once they can figure out how to advertise in your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I would say its unlikely, but looking into the fact that they still have Global BC repeaters still active in the area, along with CHBC makes me wounder if they could sell it off down the road. Maybe they tried after Canwest collapse and no offers appeared?
    I think it's a bad idea to have Global BC & CHBC running the same stuff, it's getting bad and weird