Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

CBC newscasts gone from CHEK

I just noticed that CBC News Now (which airs at noon on CBUT and had most recently aired in simulcast on CHEK as well) and the 11 PM edition of CBC Vancouver News have both vanished from the CHEK schedule. Does this mean in all likelihood that CHEK's news-sharing agreement with CBC has come to an end?

How much longer can they keep the lights on?

Victoria’s employee-owned CHEK-TV is hurting. An internal memo to staff has announced the elimination of sports on its 10 pm newscast, and is requesting staff to consider volunteering to go to part-time status.
    hxxp://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2016/02/25/chek-belt-tightening-underway/

It's very possible that Victoria/Vancouver Island will lose both of it's private TV stations in the next year. I'm guessing since the CRTC is not likely going to change the funding model for OTA stations, Bell Media will likely abandon CTV Two stations at the end of their license while CHEK will likely go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    It's very possible that Victoria/Vancouver Island will lose both of it's private TV stations in the next year. I'm guessing since the CRTC is not likely going to change the funding model for OTA stations, Bell Media will likely abandon CTV Two stations at the end of their license while CHEK will likely go bankrupt.

I sure hope that won't be the case with CHEK at least. Perhaps CHEK could arrange a program supply agreement with Bell (as is currently the case with Corus' non-Global Ontario stations for their CTV shows) to carry a number of the CTV Two shows currently on CIVI, should worse come to worse and Bell drops CTV Two (but retains the rights to those shows that currently air on CTV Two but not on the main net). As far as its finances go (just a bit of speculating on my part), perhaps Jim Pattison ought to look into buying into CHEK, to add to his TV station portfolio.
    Last edited by GoLocal; 04-25-2016 at 08:12 AM.

I agree...without CHEK where will people be able to watch 16 hours a day of infomercials?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonRedondo View Post
    I agree...without CHEK where will people be able to watch 16 hours a day of infomercials?

Riiiight, not likely. CHEK doesn't air that many infomercials in a day.