Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

TNT Canada coming this fall??

Superchannel just confirmed on their facebook page they lost rights to Rizzoli & isles and Major Crimes.

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we no longer have broadcast rights to Major Crimes and Rizzoli & Isles. We sincerely apologize for the disappointment."

Since Bell has a strong relation with Warner owner of both show and both TNT series, it would logical for them to at least pick up the 2 shows. THey lost the rights either they didn't pay because of their money problem, but I think it is more likely due to Bell taking them over to launch TNT Canada. Rizzoli was scheduled up to earlier this week on Superchannel's website to start on June 8th. Bell probably gave them money to get the rights, since thy need it.

Those 2 shows are central to the TNT brand so it would make sense that they would not launch a TNT channel without them. Maybe a rebrand of Bravo or a rebrand of BookTV.

We will know next week I guess.

Without the basketball that's a cornerstone of the US channel, it's a pretty week brand to launch a Canadian channel on. As you wrote, those series are probably gone from Super Channel because of Allarco's financial problems, and nothing else.
    Last edited by SportsFan; 06-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Actually yes it is important for the US, but outside the US the channel is known for it's drama series witch are widely popular. So I don't think they need any kind of sports to succeed, like USA network has wrestling but mostly drama series now.
    Yes it is important for sports fan like obviously you probably are, but for me TNT has nothing to do with sports. TNT has a very strong programming outside of sports.

Their website is even http://www.tntdrama.com and Bell own all of their shows already. Doesn't mean it will happen, but the brand exist in a lot of foreign countries already.

I'm still surprised that we got a FX Canada and even FXX Canada, and when Netflix chose Canada as its foreign launch location, I almost had a stroke.

If we got a TNT Canada, especially in today's climate of a la carte, I think the shock would finally kill me.

Most of the TNT content is uploaded to the pirate sites right away. Heck, I even recently live streamed the new Last Ship and TBS' Wrecked from a pirate TNT stream.

And if I could get a nicely-priced official US package with HD versions of FS1, FS2, POP TV, TRUTV, ESPN 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 100 ... and a bunch of other channels, without having to jump through hoops (USTVNow isn't good enough for me), I would do it. No need to waste my time with the annoying Canadian system ... if the Internet was truly open to the world as it should be.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I actually joined the forum to ask if anyone has heard anything about another Canadian network picking up Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes. R&I is ending this year but MC should be going for a while. Even if we get TNT up here those shows will be well into their seasons before that happens. I guess I can always just stream them but my elderly parents, who enjoy MC, cannot do that. I suppose I could always take my laptop over there and stream the episodes for them but it would be nice if they were on TV somewhere here in Canada.

Good point here. When Rogers' FX Canada launched, they told Super Channel to keep running Sons of Anarchy and Justified, CTV for Anger Management and Showcase/IFC for It's Always Sunny... Showcase has past seasons of Rizzoli & Isles since january 2012. They also signed a deal with Showtime for TMN but let SC to continue their original Homeland run.

Why would Bell decide on a secret channel rebrand, outbid Super Channel for those two TNT shows and hold new episodes hostage until fall unless... oh, maybe CraveTV ?
    So far, bankrupcy vs. the high cost for those shows, makes sense.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Secret rebrand? It is not a secret until they decide to announce it, which would make sense they wait until next week at their upfront.

When FX launched they didn`t tell Superchannel to continue running SOA, they didn`t have the option to take it or they would have. SC has a contract and you cannot void a contract and it depend on the type of contract it was, same thing for Sunny. Anger Management was not an FX productions, this is why it didn`t go to FX Canada.

Showcase has a second window on Rizzoli & Isles. They do not own first window. Like FX Canada has 2nd window on SOA.

Yes it might well be for financial reasons, but protection from court doesn't not mean you stop operating and I think it is probably more a negotiation between the 2 that either went wrong or Bell (or Corus or anyone else) simply saw an opportunity to grab those shows by giving SC some money that they really need now to give them up.

I am mentioning this because Book TV had it`s license modified so they can change it`s content. They did not do this for the fun of it, obviously they have plan for that license. That could be it, or not.

I am not saying that is surely what it is, but not sure why you are all saying it is basically impossible. We`ll see next week I guess.

Certainly not impossible, and your points certainly make sense. Plus, ABC Family became ABC Spark over here, so why not a similar thing with TNT ? The more you write, the less unlikely it seems. Bravo would be a good enough home for any TNT content, and yet, Space carries The Last Ship, so why not make it a little easier for Canadians to find TNT content on one channel ... TNT Dynamite !!!

Coming soon ... TNT Dynamite !!! ... an explosive new Canadian channel featuring explosive dramas like the ones we bought from our new bitch, Super Channel.

Boom goes the dynamite!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    ...or Bell (or Corus or anyone else) simply saw an opportunity to grab those shows by giving SC some money that they really need now to give them up.
    Well, if Bell is about to unveil a rebrand during Upfronts, it still doesn't makes sense to remove a "simulcast" of a 7-years old show with good US ratings (it premieres June 6th, next monday) and keep them out of the schedule until next fall... and it would be a dumb move to add it to the schedule with or without a 1-week notice.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    I am mentioning this because Book TV had it`s license modified so they can change it`s content.
    So, Book might become TNT Canada while FashionTV become Gusto ? Makes sense, Book had scripted shows, Fashion had lifestyle shows, so it won't affect much channel allocation at different BDUs.

Bell's Upfront is next wednesday, June 8th.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Bell doesn't necessarily have to air TNT content the same time as TNT does (although nowadays, that's often the case, except for some summer shows); even Super Channel was often a week behind US broadcasts.

Bell's a money machine and doesn't really have to worry about promoting things properly. They make last minute changes, probably redo more press releases than other companies, and still make money hand over fist.

Plus there's always the early-bird CraveTV streaming option. Watch it on Crave the same day it airs on TNT, then on Bravo, or TNT Canada the following week.

Shomi and Corus might get a piece of the action, especially if Bell spent too much on the recent Comedy Central content deal and wants to save some cash for corporate yacht purchases instead.

I know what you mean, but Major Crimes and Rizzoli are usually not in simulcast on Superchannel. It was better than before, but still not in simulcast. The shows are not accessible really anywhere 'legally', and they are not the kind of shows people put spoilers on the net like Mr Robot for example, so no big deal to be out of simulcast.

I am thinking they might want to make Bravo more of a reality show channel like it`s US counterpart as they started showing Project Runway twice a week already and move it`s scripted content to TNT. Makes sense to have Fashion become Gusto also.

But then again they might only pick up the shows and leave it on Bravo. They just announced a new partnership for Comedy Central content and they did not use that to rebrand the Comedy Network to Comedy Central.

Probably won't happen but who knows what they think. Next Wednesday we`ll find out.

I think mtlguy is in my head. Get out, get out.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    I think mtlguy is in my head. Get out, get out.
    Warning I am coming for you! LOL