Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Anthem acquires GameTV

Source: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/08/prweb13588996.htm

Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. (“Anthem”) has agreed to acquire The GameTV Corporation currently held by Kilmer Enterprises Inc. (“Kilmer”).
    Anthem currently controls and operates TV channels Fight Network and FNTSY Sports Network in Canada and other markets on traditional TV and digital platforms. It also holds licences for three other Canadian TV channels, EDGEsport, MAVTV Canada and Pursuit Canada, which have yet to be launched.
    GameTV is available in over 9 million homes across Canadian cable, satellite and IPTV systems, and has a large loyal and consistent audience, ranking well among all specialty services.
    “We are delighted to have GameTV become part of the Anthem organization,” said Leonard Asper, CEO of Anthem. “We think it’s a terrific fit because in addition to the financial upside, it will provide scale for Anthem, creating greater programming options, new advertising and marketing opportunities, expansion onto digital platforms, as well as operating efficiencies.”

Read more here: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/08/prweb13588996.htm

----------------------------------------------

In addition, what I find more interesting, is what will happen to World Fishing Network. This is the last channel owned by Insight Sports. They sold and shut down much of their other businesses they held years ago... selling the Grand Slam and other digital properties to a group of management, shutting down NHL Network (not necessarily their choice, but still it happened), sold GOL TV Canada to MLSE, they sold the US World Fishing Network a couple years ago. So, since this is a niche channel, probably losing money, its now essentially a one channel operation, their website is a splash page of their logo and address, it looks like the end for WFN... either shut down or sold.

Interesting, it looks like Anthem Media has been unable to secure carriage for MavTV Canada so they just bought an existing channel that gives them instant carriage- smart move. Look for GameTV to be re-branded MavTV Canada once the deal closes. GameTV is carried in the basic package by pretty much all major providers, I suspect this channel will be moved to a tier once it re-brands.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Interesting, it looks like Anthem Media has been unable to secure carriage for MavTV Canada so they just bought an existing channel that gives them instant carriage- smart move. Look for GameTV to be re-branded MavTV Canada once the deal closes. GameTV is carried in the basic package by pretty much all major providers, I suspect this channel will be moved to a tier once it re-brands.
    I'm guessing thats what they'll likely do too. I can't imagine they actually want to run a channel based on games. MAV is probably the likely choice. They'll probably make a play to acquire Wild TV for the Pursuit Channel - whether they get it or not is another question. Edit - on second thought, its strange they didn't buy WFN, that would have made a good channel to rebrand as Pursuit.
    Last edited by musimax; 08-03-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I'm guessing thats what they'll likely do too. I can't imagine they actually want to run a channel based on games. MAV is probably the likely choice. They'll probably make a play to acquire Wild TV for the Pursuit Channel - whether they get it or not is another question. Edit - on second thought, its strange they didn't buy WFN, that would have made a good channel to rebrand as Pursuit.
    I know for sure My older brother will definately go for that network. He loves anything Motorsports and cars.

But the only reason GameTV is being distributed on virtually all BDUs is that it doesn't receive any subscription revenues, counting on basic service carriage to attract advertisers.

With skinny basic rules, plans changed. Sure, it will be easier to tell BDUs : "starting that date, we'll rebrand, new contract, and we ask $0.xx per subscriber per month", but 1) if GameTV doesn't find a new purpose, it's doomed just like Avis de Recherche or iChannel, 2) an independent launching a new channel from scratch has difficulty getting carriage.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

interestingly enough, Anthem has now taken all mentions on MAV TV off its website. But the social media accounts and website for MAV TV still exist. And the following message was posted, only back in June 28 of this year, on their Facebook page:

Dear MAVTVCanada fans,
    Since many of you are rightfully anxious to hear news about the MAVTVCanada launch I thought I'd take the opportunity here to explain a few things.

First, the "slow process" to launch has nothing to do with the channel and its interest with providers. Ultimately, it has more to do with all the changes the broadcast industry has experienced in order to comply with the government/CRTC mandated changes that all carriers in Canada (Bell, Rogers, Shaw, etc...) must follow.

As you can imagine this has been a very time consuming process for carriers and their staff. It has changed how channels are offered to customers as well as impacted how messaging-via the call centres-is conveyed to the viewing public.
    Internally, this process has also dominated the programming staff's time. More specifically programmers who are responsible for determining new channel-launches are now having to prioritize and "re-do" existing agreements for already established channels due to those regulations which-as you are aware-can be over 200 services!

This then impacts the time of their legal department's who in turn are also having to prioritize and review those revised contracts to reflect the new "skinny basic" and "pick-n-pay" so consumers (like you!) can have the option to choose their channel options and what they pay for.

So as you can see, there have been (and still are) many moving parts the staff and I here at MAVTVCanada are working around and hence why a specific launch date can't be announced. What I can tell you however is that each day we are getting closer to having that information to share and I am confident a launch is in the immediate future.

I would also like to extend my heartfelt "thanks" to all of you who take the time to write, like, share or post to show your interest in bringing a dedicated Motorsports channel into your homes.

Sincerely,

Mike Garrow
    MAVTVCanada, GM

Not sure what this all means for the channel and whether GameTV would be rebranded MAV TV or not (or whether MAV TV will launch at all). However, Edge Sport is still listed and apparently it's up and running... online though. There is a live stream on their website. Maybe Game TV will become Edge Sport instead.
    Last edited by musimax; 10-03-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Not sure what this all means for the channel and whether GameTV would be rebranded MAV TV or not (or whether MAV TV will launch at all). However, Edge Sport is still listed and apparently it's up and running... online though. There is a live stream on their website. Maybe Game TV will become Edge Sport instead.
    Did they already decided that a while back and told Videotron, has GameTV was moved besides their sports channels.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Did they already decided that a while back and told Videotron, has GameTV was moved besides their sports channels.
    Seems like they have. They will most definitely rebrand as one of their sports channel brands that have not already alunched in Canada. I would have guessed it was going to be MAV TV, but that is looking like it ain't going to happen now. Most likely now Edge Sport - not likely gonna be Pursuit Channel since they only own a minority interest in the channel in the US and Wild TV already exists here.

Following their recent acquisition from Anthem Sports & Entertainment, GameTV is starting to add more sports-related programming to their lineup, some of which are already airing on Fight Network and Fantasy Sports Network.

They have also locked a broadcast deal with the Toronto Wolfpack rugby team:
    https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2017...dcast-partner/

I noticed in the link and on their website that GameTV is listed as being available on Bell Fibe TV on channels 624 (SD) / 1624 (HD). It has also been carried on Bell Satellite everywhere except in the Quebec market. Any confirmation of this?

Last edited by lostjon; 03-02-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Regarding MavTV -- the U.S. channel is owned by Lucas Oil,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAVTV

and the racing events they air are largely the ones they sponsor. There is also a LucasOilRacing.tv globally (according to the site's FAQ page) available online with two different levels of paid subscriptions, and I would assume with mostly the same shows and racing events that are on MavTV.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 03-04-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    Following their recent acquisition from Anthem Sports & Entertainment, GameTV is starting to add more sports-related programming to their lineup, some of which are already airing on Fight Network and Fantasy Sports Network.

They have also locked a broadcast deal with the Toronto Wolfpack rugby team:
    https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2017...dcast-partner/

I noticed in the link and on their website that GameTV is listed as being available on Bell Fibe TV on channels 624 (SD) / 1624 (HD). It has also been carried on Bell Satellite everywhere except in the Quebec market. Any confirmation of this?

It's unfortunate that GameTV is going in this direction - just adding more and more reruns from other channels of Anthems.

The rugby is a good idea, however, it could also somewhat fit in with the EdgeSport brand, so why not pull the trigger and just rebrand it as EdgeSport with rugby and be done with it. This other fantasy and fight-themed programming, leave it to Fight Network and FNTSY Sports. Maybe they're looking for a general sports brand with GameTV. Heck, you don't even have to change the name, GameTV could also be a sports reference.

Also, as a side note, it's already been mentioned in another thread, but MAV TV Canada has already launched but it is carried by only a handful of very very small cable/IPTV providers from CCSA. The only one I know who is carrying it, although MAV mentioned there were others, is ATOP TV, even though their website doesn't mention MAV. Also, doesn't even seem like Anthem owns MAV TV Canada any longer. Any mentions of MAV is deleted from their website and the info in MAV's press release mentions Neon Star Sports and Entertainment.

It's unfortunate that GameTV is going in this direction - just adding more and more reruns from other channels of Anthems.

The rugby is a good idea, however, it could also somewhat fit in with the EdgeSport brand, so why not pull the trigger and just rebrand it as EdgeSport with rugby and be done with it. This other fantasy and fight-themed programming, leave it to Fight Network and FNTSY Sports. Maybe they're looking for a general sports brand with GameTV. Heck, you don't even have to change the name, GameTV could also be a sports reference.

Also, as a side note, it's already been mentioned in another thread, but MAV TV Canada has already launched but it is carried by only a handful of very very small cable/IPTV providers from CCSA. The only one I know who is carrying it, although MAV mentioned there were others, is ATOP TV, even though their website doesn't mention MAV. Also, doesn't even seem like Anthem owns MAV TV Canada any longer. Any mentions of MAV is deleted from their website and the info in MAV's press release mentions Neon Star Sports and Entertainment.
    According to a post on the Toronto Wolfpack Twitter feed, Bell Fibe will be adding GameTV on March 23.
    https://twitter.com/TOwolfpack/statu...36708088242176

Stay tuned...

Eventually, we should be seeing a gradual transition of GameTV's programming - perhaps less movies. It's safe to say that once Anthem Sports & Entertainment opted to acquire GameTV, there was no longer an incentive for them to continue owning and operating MAV TV Canada. Shortly after the acquisition received CRTC approval, the contact information listed on MAV TV Canada's website was changed. They no longer shared the same address with Fight Network and FNTSY Sports, both of whom their headquarters are in the Liberty Village neighborhood of Toronto. MAV TV Canada facilities have been relocated to an address in Markham, Ontario and GameTV took over the space previously belonging to MAV TV in Toronto's Liberty Village.

Since MAV TV Canada has launched, why don't they have any schedule listings on their website along with a full list of providers carrying the channel along with their positions in their lineups?
    Last edited by lostjon; 03-04-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: added link to Twitter feed post

GameTV will also be launched in HD on EastLink.