Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Corus dropping channels over the next 3 years

According to an Cartt.ca article, over the next 2 - 3 years, Corus will be evaluating their channel lineup and will drop most of their channels and focus on their core 17, focusing on women, families, and children.

...the company will sink most of its future programming investments into less than half of its current channels. “We’re in pretty good shape for the 17 channels which are our big ones which are going to get picked (by viewers and advertisers),” he explained.

“What happens to the bottom 15 services are something we’re going to be spending a lot of time working on in the next 24 to 36 months… I think you’ll see some culling occurring across all of us in the sector,” he continued.

“There are a lot of channels out there and it’s time to prune the garden a little bit and invest money in the big services that drive audiences.”

Whether that means shuttering some channels or selling, Murphy didn’t say. He did clarify, however, that decisions will be made as major wholesale agreements with Canadian carriers expire.
    To read the full article, click here: https://cartt.ca/article/corus-chann...tion-continues

So, let the speculation begin. Which ones will fall by the wayside? Will they sell or shut down?
    Last edited by musimax; 09-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.

I'll start the speculation

I think these channels have the best chance of being sold or shutdown (probably mostly shutdown)

Cartoon Network
    Nickelodeon
    IFC
    Movietime
    DejaView
    DTour
    DIY
    Sundance Channel
    W Movies
    CMT
    H2
    BBC Canada
    Cosmo TV

These are probably the least likely to shut down

YTV
    W Network
    History
    Slice
    HGTV
    Food Network
    Disney Channel
    Showcase
    Lifetime

These channels could go either way

Disney XD
    Disney Junior
    Treehouse
    National Geographic Channel
    Nat Geo WILD
    fyi
    Crime + Investigation
    ABC Spark

I think Corus will eventually divest itself of its ownership share in TLN and its networks.

I'm assuming when they say 17, they are also counting the French channels. So, when you do that, when you count up to 17 channels in total, there will be several major brands and channels getting the cut here. It's not like the 3rd rate channels like DejaView, IFC, or Sundance Channel will get cut, but you could end up with major brands or higher-penetrated channels like Net Geo and DTOUR being cut.

I'd say the for sures to be dropped (not sure if they will be sold or shut down) will be:

IFC
    Sundance Channel
    DejaView
    TLN and their associated channels - for sure will be sold
    Crime and Investigation
    FYI
    Nat Geo Wild
    BBC Canada
    H2
    W Movies
    MovieTime

For sures to be kept:

HGTV
    Food Network
    W Network
    YTV
    Disney Channel
    CMT - will have more value once they can drop the music videos
    Showcase
    History
    Slice
    One of at least either Treehouse or Disney Junior - maybe both
    Disney XD
    Teletoon English
    Teletoon French

The others are a toss up for me.

Only kaylor001 would know for sure what is in and what is out, but since he was banned for failing to provide accurate Treehouse info, we are now left in the dark.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Interesting news,

I was wondering why we haven't heard anything from Corus regarding changes to any of their channels, I assumed they might re-brand some- now I have my answer.

I wonder why they bothered acquiring all the Shaw Media channels if all they care about are their two main areas of interest- women & children?! I wonder who would buy some of these channels if they were offered for sale, I could see the National Geographic channels being purchased by someone but the rest of the stuff that will likely be for sale will be the 2nd tier channels.

Bigoranget, why do you think they should sell CMT, this is a legacy Analog specialty that has been around for a long time, its a strong brand and most likely has big viewership?! This channel I would think skews more toward a female audience so it would fit with their target market and they recently launched CMT Fest, a series of music festivals. I also disagree about Cartoon Network, they shut down Teletoon Retro so they could expand carriage of this channel and unlike Nickelodeon I think most of the programming it airs is unique to the channel. YTV airs alot of Nickelodeon programming and is a more well known brand and has better carriage then Nick which I could see being shut down.

I agree with musimax regarding what channels might be shutdown or sold off except for Nat Geo Wild. I can see them selling off both National Geographic channels together.

It looks like pick and pay is going to bring about a major overhaul to the TV market, I wonder what changes Bell might make- they should shut down Book TV, Comedy Gold, Fashion TV & ESPN Classic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Only kaylor001 would know for sure what is in and what is out, but since he was banned for failing to provide accurate Treehouse info, we are now left in the dark.
    kaylor001 wouldn't have known because he was just a troll posting false information based solely on wishful thinking on his part. He only said that "Treehouse Two" would be signing on and our Sundance Channel was going to become "Treehouse Retro" at some indeterminate future date because, at the root of it, he wanted it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I also disagree about Cartoon Network, they shut down Teletoon Retro so they could expand carriage of this channel and unlike Nickelodeon I think most of the programming it airs is unique to the channel. YTV airs alot of Nickelodeon programming and is a more well known brand and has better carriage then Nick which I could see being shut down.
    Frankly, Corus shouldn't have even created the Canadian version of CN as a replacement for Teletoon Retro to begin with because Teletoon already carries a majority of the American CN's garbage anyway (and the American CN hasn't produced a single thing worth watching since it began producing its own material, which has only gotten worse in terms of quality of animation and storylines - pandering to the lowest common denominator - over the years). Disney Channel (which also replaced Teletoon Retro in some markets) isn't much better because its live-action shows are basically indistinguishable from one another, as their characters and storylines can be interchanged between shows and very few would know the difference (much as with Saved by the Bell and its numerous clone shows). All told, Teletoon Retro was still a popular channel and, to paraphrase an old saying, Corus shouldn't have fixed what wasn't broken in the first place.
    Last edited by GoLocal; 09-16-2016 at 03:37 AM.

I see eventually DejaView to be shutdown and other of the older ex-Shaw networks like Action, D-Tour, H2, etc.

There is many chances the Canadian's Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon will be took over soon. CN has lost me in the last year while Nickelodeon fills their schedule of older Nick's reruns while YTV still had the superiority to airing the Canadian Premieres of this brand. For somebody who likes Teletoon Retro and see his quick fate, i think the shutdown was justified, tough it wasn't always for the good reason one year later.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I'm assuming when they say 17, they are also counting the French channels.
    A few months ago, there was a rumor Corus wanted to sell back Historia and Séries+ to Bell. That way, they can "focus" on women and children. Historia is more male-oriented. Acquiring dubbed TV series must be frustrating against Bell, Quebecor and Remstar.

Sure, they can improve struggling specialties, but let's get real, DejaView will never get a boost and reach programming quality of Me-TV and AntennaTV. It's a poket change cash cow, thanks to moderate subscription revenues and low acquisition fees. Corus doesn't need IFC, Sundance, MovieTime and W Movies, but they need to keep ONE companion movie channel. H2 is a no-brainer, became Viceland in the US. Gotta go. Then, there are low-interest-in-programming-it such as FYI, C&I, BBC Canada...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

BBC Canada is a shame. It started out not bad but even the CRTC is partly to blame the increasing amount of Canadian content that it was required to air meant that its programming became watered down. Why do we need Canadian content on a channel that is supposed to be the best of the BBC or British television in general. Can Con rules for this channel never made sense to begin with.
    LOSat

Here's my speculation on which channels will stay and survive, and for those that will be shut down or sold off - 45 specialty channels in total.

I will assume that Global's news channel BC1 and the four French specialty channels (Historia, Series+, Teletoon and La Chaine Disney) will remain with Corus but not included among the 17 core channels that are expected to continue in the long-term. So altogether, the ultimate goal is to be left with half (22 or 23) of the current channels they own.

Having said that:
    Corus should divest itself of TLN and all its properties including Euroworld Sport, Telebimbi, Teleninos, Mediaset Italia, Univision Canada and SKYTG24.

Next, they should get rid of their movie channels, namely IFC, MovieTime and W Movies. They got out of the premium movie business by shutting down Movie Central so they can focus on women, kids, families and lifestyle. None of these channels cater to their needs at this point.

Moving on to the channels that will almost definitely remain for the long run: CMT, Food Network Canada, HGTV, History, Showcase, Slice, Teletoon, Treehouse, W Network and YTV. Note that these are Category A specialty services and among those highly subscribed. CMT, Treehouse, W Network and YTV have been key assets of the Corus brand since the very beginning - I don't see these brands going dark anytime soon. Generally with cord cutting on the rise and pick & pay on the way, subscription numbers will continue to decline but these 10 channels should remain strong assets for the company.

However, among these channels, Slice could be a potential liability - it is only on this list because it continues to carry original and acquired programming even though it is now technically competing for the same audience as the W Network with their content, and it already airs some programming from W. Having said that, if Corus works on reformatting the channel enough to keep it distinct from W, then it should make the cut. It is also worth noting that the number of subscribers for Slice is actually lower than that for DTOUR (formerly Prime then TVtropolis).

As for the channels that have a good shot of continuing with Corus, some are toss-ups and will not form part of the core 17 at some point, including: ABC Spark,Action, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, DIY, Lifetime, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD and OWN.

It's too soon to tell how the Disney channels will fare in Corus's long-term plans but one would figure that after working to acquire all their rights for Canada (which previously belonged to Family Channel) and it fits in with their kids' specialty portfolio, they would want to retain the brand and not be so quick to give it up. Lifetime and OWN are female-centric channels which is among their core areas; OWN is a Category A channel with a wide distribution. Lifetime is a former Shaw asset with Category B distribution that could complement W Network (with Lifetime originals) or it can also be absorbed into the Slice brand. With four channels targeted at a female audience, priority will go to their existing properties, W Network and OWN.

I had initial doubts about ABC Spark - it's been over four years since they launched. They do not air all of the original shows carried on ABC Family (now Freeform), as some turn up on other specialty channels. The watered down combination of CanCon and reruns already aired on other channels offers nothing else of value. But the channel goes with their key demographics and for the first time, it has gone into original productions, so if this continues, Corus does not intend to let go of this asset anytime soon.

It could go either way with Cartoon Network, a Category B service that widened its distribution after obtaining the license that previously belonged to Teletoon Retro. Provided that it does not become a second-rate channel and serves to complement more what Teletoon already offers, then Corus won't be quick to pull the plug here, especially in the aftermath of adding more subscribers.

Action, DIY, National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo WILD are only included based on their last subscription numbers. As Category B services, they are actually among those with the most subscribers from last year's figures. National Geographic registered over 5 million subscribers, followed by Action (4.3 million). DIY (3.25 million) and Nat Geo WILD (2.75 million) round out the lower end, but are still performing better than several other Category A channels. These channels may be retained by changing or shutting down their licenses while transferring to those currently belonging to Category A services or by spreading their content across existing and proven specialty brands. DIY is a spin-off of HGTV, a brand from U.S.-based Scripps Media whose exclusive rights in Canada belong to Corus.

The rest of the pack will likely either be sold off or shut down: BBC Canada, CosmoTV, Crime + Investigation, DTOUR, Dejaview, fyi, H2, Nickelodeon, and Sundance Channel.

BBC Canada is one channel that I think should be sold off to another party and not shut down. At this point, another company would be better off with its ownership and operations. The same can apply to DTOUR - even as a Category A service that has been around for nearly 20 years, its subscription numbers have been on the decline and current license conditions have reduced its value. The unique content (primarily from Travel Channel) can easily be transferrable to another service. Its license can be changed to bring in a Category B service already on the air or yet to launch.

Then, there is the Category A trio of Crime+Investigation (C+I), H2 and fyi - all three brand names from A+E Networks that have been licensed to Corus for use in Canada. C+I (formerly Mystery) has the most subscribers from among this group and the H2 brand has since been changed to Viceland. fyi is like DTOUR - aside from original programming from the U.S. channel, there is little to no value and can be easily carried across other stronger specialty brands, even though it's subscriber base has been stable at just over 2 million subscribers. At the time of rebranding from Mystery to C+I, the number of subscribers actually was on the rise, reaching over 3.2 million subscribers and experiencing only slight declines following the rebrand. Interestingly enough, H2 saw an increase of 3 million subscribers at the time of its rebrand from The Cave (originally MenTV and which registered less than 1 million), but with the brand retired, it has little content to complement what already airs on History and is for the most part another second-rate channel. It should either shut down or transfer the license to a Category B service. Unless there are restrictions under which Corus must retain the licenses to all three brands, they will probably keep C+I, while closing down H2 and FYI and reallocating their programming across their other existing stronger channels.

CosmoTV is expendable - nothing original and Corus can easily cut their losses here. Nickelodeon is just a second window for originals that already premiered on YTV. Sundance Channel can be packaged with IFC to any party that is looking to launch a Category B service for independent films and movies. Furthermore, if Bell proceeds further with its plan to drop both Nickelodeon and Sundance at some point this year, I would not be surprised if other providers follow suit. Also interesting to note, no subscription numbers registered for these services over the last five years - I would assume that these channels are within the threshold of less than 200,000 subscribers, meaning that their licenses are subject to being revoked and can be sold off or shut down.

Last edited by lostjon; 09-17-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    ... I wonder why they bothered acquiring all the Shaw Media channels ...
    I think, as pointed out in the thread when it happened, it was just a corporate shell game, moving money from one Shaw pocket to another. The assets with a future were protected under the 'Shaw' umbrella, while the media ones likely to disappear or be consolidated became 'Corus' ones.

And "focusing on women, families, and children"? Well, they don't really have any sports channels or programming, right?

As for the question of which specific channels will or won't survive in the near future -- at this point I doubt the CRTC or anyone else is going to object to the surviving TV channels not sticking to very narrow niche programming genres specified in their present licences. They'll just keep the most popular programming they think will continue to attract the most subscribers, and spread it over however many (or few) channels they think will work. They'll mostly be general entertainment channels, regardless of whatever old or new name they'll be labeled. I suppose they would initially keep at least one channel nominally intended for women and another for young people/kids (presumably YTV).
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 09-16-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Frankly, Corus shouldn't have even created the Canadian version of CN as a replacement for Teletoon Retro to begin with because Teletoon already carries a majority of the American CN's garbage anyway
    Whoops!

I totally forgot about Teletoon, major brain cramp. With Teletoon & YTV neither Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network are needed IMO, both should be shut down.

Here is my take on what channels will stay and which ones will go:

Channels that Corus should keep:

ABC Spark
    CMT Canada
    Disney Channel Canada
    Disney Junior Canada
    Disney XD Canada
    Food Network Canada
    HGTV Canada
    La chaîne Disney
    Lifetime Canada
    OWN Canada
    Showcase
    Slice
    Teletoon / Teletoon at Night
    TÉLÉTOON / Télétoon la nuit
    Treehouse
    W Network
    YTV

Channels to be divested or shut down:

Action
    Cartoon Network / Adult Swim
    BBC Canada
    Cosmopolitan TV
    Crime + Investigation
    DejaView
    DIY Network Canada
    DTour
    FYI
    History
    H2

IFC
    National Geographic Channel
    Nat Geo Wild
    Nickelodeon
    Historia
    Movietime
    Series+
    Sundance Channel
    TLN

TLN specialties (Euro World Sport, Mediaset Italia, SkyTG 24, TeleBimbi, TeleNinos, Univision Canada)
    WMovies

You gotta wonder whether these broadcasters are just shooting them in the foot. Cable is already in decline and assuming several of these channels will shut down, in addition to several from other broadcasters, there will be little incentive left for anyone to subscribe to cable anymore. With less and less options for channels and content on cable, why bother subscribing when I can get a lot of it from other sources. If you want to watch content from the big brands and major channels, specialty and OTA, you can get a lot of it online (CTV's entire primetime and most of daytime is available on their website the next day as an example), especially from their websites. Then you add paid sites like Netflix, Shomi, and Crave, and other ways to watch content, why bother subscribing at all. With a lot of these specialty channels, the only way you might get to watch their content is from their channel. Lets say for example you liked the Pet Network, well I don't know of anywhere else you could have been able to watch any of their content except on the channel itself (maybe 1 or two full shows were online, can't remember).

i don't subscribe to cable, but to imagine channels that may be of interest to me would be gone, like DIY Network, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, etc., that doesn't give me much incentive to think about starting to pay up for cable again.

But I think we'll all have to see how much the pick and pay world will affect these channels going forward. The sky is falling scenario could all be a bunch of hot air in 3 years time and it could affect subscriber levels very little. They may change their tune of shuttering 15 or more channels later once we get the data in on pick and pay.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    The rest of the pack will likely either be sold off or shut down: DTOUR
    While I agree Dtour has low-interest content, it's one of those analog specialties launched oct 1997. I expect it to keep its current name (everyone can make a TV detour while zapping) but turn into Corus' dump just like Bell's FashionTV fate when they rebranded M3.

Not core, not immediate shutdown, just keep it around so it will be there to provide instant carriage on all service providers for any Cat-B specialty. Gusto's move was smart, who's next ?
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Keep in mind that all channels will be category B channels starting in September 2017. There will be little to no incentive to keep weak category A specialties around once the guaranteed carriage no longer applies to these channels.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Keep in mind that all channels will be category B channels starting in September 2017. There will be little to no incentive to keep weak category A specialties around once the guaranteed carriage no longer applies to these channels.
    Sure, but I don't expect cable service providers to drop immediately weak channels such as DTour. Gusto's strategy was ideal to be instantly "upgraded" to all service providers (with M3 rebrand) when they had limited distribution before that.

Since Prime/TVTropolis/Dtour is aimed at older audiences, they could potentially be approached by some religious or old B&W movies Cat B specialty and rebrand Dtour (or sell the licence), shutting down the independent licence. Instant carriage upgrade. What do we know...

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    While I agree Dtour has low-interest content, it's one of those analog specialties launched oct 1997. I expect it to keep its current name (everyone can make a TV detour while zapping) but turn into Corus' dump just like Bell's FashionTV fate when they rebranded M3.

Not core, not immediate shutdown, just keep it around so it will be there to provide instant carriage on all service providers for any Cat-B specialty. Gusto's move was smart, who's next ?
    The thing with DTOUR is that just like M3, it's gone through numerous rebrands. Both channels launched as analog specialty services in the late 1990s and have been Category A services. Somehow, Since the rebrand to DTOUR in 2012, it saw a decline of over 1 million subscribers over a three-year period, sitting below 5 million based on last year's figures.

Slice (originally Life Network) experienced a slighter bigger decline of more than 1.1 million subscribers in that same time frame, registering 4.98 million subscribers.

M3 actually saw a slight growth in subscribers and stabilized at more than 6.3 million at the time it was known as MuchMore in 2011 and 2012. But by the final year leading in the rebrand to M3, it started declining and fell from 6 million (in 2014) to 5.83 million at this time last year (a loss of 300,000 subscribers). Clearly, Bell Media saw this as an opportunity to get in on the food and lifestyle genre, and in doing so, convert an existing Category B specialty (Gusto), expand its distribution across major providers and establish some competition.

With DTOUR and Slice, there are some interesting scenarios that could play out here. DTOUR could very well go the same path as M3 - at this point, the only thing worth watching on that channel is the original programming from The Travel Channel, beyond that it has become a second-rate channel. The way I see it, the content acquired for DTOUR can easily be transferred to one or other channels, and its license could be used to preserve an existing Category B service. Slice may be headed that way too given that Corus now has two or three other channels that run similar content between W, Lifetime and OWN. Both W and OWN registered higher subscription numbers in 2015, whereas Lifetime being a Category B service had 3.78 million (1.2 million less than Slice). Slice will need to be re-formatted to keep things fresh and original.

By the way, Corus has another Category B channel waiting to launch called Quest - within the next year, they could use either the existing licenses of DTOUR or Slice to get it to air. The current licensee of the service was responsible for launching both HGTV and DIY Canada. Or they can turn DTOUR into a channel that becomes a hybrid of original programming offered from current channels whose licenses are destined for the scrap heap, even if it means retaining the rights to acquisitions from A+E Networks, Scripps, etc. For instance, take TruTV content from Action, continue with Travel Channel originals, along with FYI.

DIY Canada is very well a spin-off of HGTV. As a category B service, it registered about 3.25 million subscribers in 2015. Even then, its content can easily be spread across established channels including HGTV and Slice (with a reformat of some sort).

Very well, all these numbers won't matter in a year from now once the Category A labels will be eliminated and it will all come down to which channels continue to generate the most interest. Some will continue to attract viewers while others could very well crash and burn. As I've already mentioned, the general trend is that all channels, even those with the most subscribers and still generate interest, will continue seeing a decline in subscribers. Then again, all the talk of channels dropping with the advent of Pick and Pay might just be hot air, as someone mentioned in this thread - the ones making money will get an extended lease on life while the others that are already registering low numbers (yet have been somehow money makers all this time) are unlikely to make the cut and will necessitate either a shutdown or divestment to another interested party (if there's any). I am referring to the likes of brand-named channels such as H2 (that brand no longer exists in the U.S. having rebranded to Viceland), FYI and Crime+Investigation - all of which are associated with A+E Networks. The latter has 3.2 million subscribers while FYI has 2 million. H2 should shut down and have its license transferred to National Geographic Channel, a Category B service that registered 5.05 million viewers, to retain their general entertainment portfolio with the likes of Showcase and History, while providing competition with Discovery and its channels (Bell). FYI offers nothing special aside from carrying most if not all of the shows airing on the U.S. channel - otherwise, it's just another channel watered down with reruns of CanCon already shown on Food, HGTV and Slice. Like diy, it's programming can be easily transferrable elsewhere.

Dejaview should just shut down altogether. If anything, this is a type of service that would serve better as an OTA digital subchannel (if this ever comes to fruition here in Canada). BBC Canada is a brand that should stay on the air, but not in the hands of Corus. It can be sold off to any buyer - Vision TV has been airing plenty of British programs as of late including EastEnders (which used to air on BBC Canada and Showcase back in the Alliance Atlantis era) so ZoomerMedia would seem like a suitable buyer, BC's Knowledge Network venture which acquired BBC Kids during the Shaw takeover or any other independent Canadian company like Blue Ant Media.

In the long run, for specialty services to survive, less is more.
    Last edited by lostjon; 09-17-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Sure, but I don't expect cable service providers to drop immediately weak channels such as DTour. Gusto's strategy was ideal to be instantly "upgraded" to all service providers (with M3 rebrand) when they had limited distribution before that.
    Providers will not be quick to drop weak-performing Category A services like DTOUR - it has a long way to go before falling to levels reaching the likes of BookTelevision (dropped by Videotron) or other low-rated diginets like FYI and H2. At the same time, next September will be a game changer. All companies are in the process of re-evaluating their assets to see which ones are worth keeping and getting rid of. If a Category B service like National Geographic Channel has been registering more subscribers than the likes of Category A analog services like Slice or DTOUR before the Category A and B labels are lifted, something is bound to happen.

Since Prime/TVTropolis/Dtour is aimed at older audiences, they could potentially be approached by some religious or old B&W movies Cat B specialty and rebrand Dtour (or sell the licence), shutting down the independent licence. Instant carriage upgrade. What do we know...
    As I mentioned previously, various scenarios can occur:
    Corus can shut down the channel altogether.

Shut down the channel and use its Category A license to upgrade their stronger-performing Category B services (National Geographic, Action, Lifetime, DIY) (like Bell Media did with M3 to Gusto) or launch a new service (Quest) originally approved as a Category B service.

Sell the channel and its license altogether to another company - potentially interesting parties would include Zoomer Media or other companies already approved a license for a Catgeory B service catering to older audiences.

Unless the do something with Dtour from now until they start to drop channels, I think chances are they may let it go. There isn't anything special about the channel. They may pull a M3/Gusto move and rebrand it as an existing channel of theirs to increase subscribers but as a brand right now, I think more than likely it will be one of those that are dropped.

CDN Viewer said History would be dropped... I duno about that. That's a top specialty channel, one of the most popular. That would be a bold move to sell that channel. Even though they say their focus will be on women, family, and children, I some how doubt they would still want to sell History.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Unless the do something with Dtour from now until they start to drop channels, I think chances are they may let it go. There isn't anything special about the channel. They may pull a M3/Gusto move and rebrand it as an existing channel of theirs to increase subscribers but as a brand right now, I think more than likely it will be one of those that are dropped.

CDN Viewer said History would be dropped... I duno about that. That's a top specialty channel, one of the most popular. That would be a bold move to sell that channel. Even though they say their focus will be on women, family, and children, I some how doubt they would still want to sell History.
    I agree for the most part with your points. DTOUR as it is right now is not worth keeping. There's no longer any original Canadian content produced for this channel and the acquired Travel Channel programming can easily find room on other popular channels.

I put History in the same group as HGTV, Food Network, Showcase and Slice - being among the top specialty channels among the former Aliance Atlantis/Shaw Media properties, very well since they launched. Sure, History has become more of a general entertainment channel with the content they have been running as of late, but it remains a strong asset for Corus.

Just a wild guess on my part - if Corus decides to sell off French channel Historia, then maybe they would let go of History only because both channels air about the same programming just in different languages? Something does not quite add up here considering how former owner Bell Media just relinquished the advertising sales for Historia over to Corus this year - the page for Historia has since been removed from Bell Media's Ad Sales website, along with the rest of their former French specialty services Series+, Teletoon, La Chaine Disney, MusiquePlus and Musimax (now MAX), the latter two of which their sales are now handled by Groupe V Media/Remstar.
    Last edited by lostjon; 09-18-2016 at 01:07 PM.