Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

radX rebranding to BBC Earth

BBC WORLDWIDE AND BLUE ANT MEDIA PARTNER TO BRING BBC EARTH TO CANADA

BBC Earth’s Canadian launch to include the nationwide premiere of Planet Earth II, airing day-and-date with the U.S. premiere on BBC AMERICA, Saturday, January 28, 2017

(Toronto, ON/New York NY, December 6, 2016)BBC Worldwide North America and Blue Ant Media announced today that they have entered into an agreement to launch BBC Earth, the BBC’s premium factual channel in Canada. Scheduled to debut on Tuesday, January 24, 2017, the commercial-free channel will give Canadians exclusive access to BBC Earth’s slate of high-profile programming including Planet Earth II and The Hunt.

“We’ve found a kindred spirit in Blue Ant Media – they are the perfect partner for our premiere BBC Earth channel, which will showcase a stellar collection of the BBC’s unparalleled natural world programming,” said
    Ann Sarnoff, President BBC Worldwide North America. “We know that the BBC brand and content resonate with Canadians, so we’re looking forward to BBC Earth becoming an important part of the television landscape in Canada.”

BBC Earth showcases the work of the world’s foremost factual filmmakers as it takes audiences on a journey of discovery that includes incredible moments in history and the human experience as well as outer space and science. From the smallest creature under the microscope to the limitless expanses of space, the channel brings viewers face to face with heart-pounding action, mind-blowing ideas and the wonder of being human.

“BBC Earth and its iconic, world-class programming are a perfect complement to Blue Ant Media’s suite of premium factual channels,” said
    Raja Khanna, CEO, Television & Digital, Blue Ant Media. “Our partnership with BBC Worldwide underlines Blue Ant Media’s on-going commitment to invest in premium brands and bring the world’s best content to Canadians from coast to coast.”

The highly anticipated premiere of
    Planet Earth II, will be broadcast on BBC Earth in Canada on Saturday, January 28, day-and-date with the U.S. premiere, which will air on BBC AMERICA. Blue Ant Media will release further programming information and scheduling details for the channel in early January.

BBC Earth will be broadcast in Canada in HD and will replace Blue Ant Media’s existing radX channel.

About BBC Earth.
    BBC Earth is a global factual brand which seeks to inspire audiences in the UK and worldwide with the most incredible sights, stories and characters from the natural world. Commercially and internationally the brand is managed by BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. Since launch the brand has grown across multiple platforms including branded blocks on television, live events, social media, visitor attractions, theatrical releases for cinema and giant screen films and online on BBC.com. From 2015 the BBC Earth brand will launch new channels internationally that will be dedicated to bringing audiences premium factual content.

Blue Ant Media
    is a privately held, international media company that creates and distributes content worldwide across multiple platforms, including streaming video, linear television, digital, magazines and live events. Global brands include Love Nature, an international linear and SVOD offering, with the world’s largest library of 4K wildlife and nature content; and Omnia Media, a leading digital video network focused on gaming and maker lifestyles. The company’s broadcast portfolio includes a robust offering of Canadian and New Zealand-based media brands. Blue Ant Media’s distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a catalogue of 2,200+ hours of premium, unscripted content worldwide, which includes the largest 4K natural history library on the market. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto (Canada), with offices located in Los Angeles (US), London (UK) and Auckland (NZ).

Source: http://blueantmedia.ca/2016/12/bbc-w...rth-to-canada/

I'd certainly like BBC Earth over radX, but seems a little competitive with Love Nature. Guess we're in for a lot of shared programming between the two "complimentary" channels.

Maybe Corus Media should sell off BBC Canada to Blue Ant Media but then again that will probably never happen but we neve know. I've seen BBC Earth Logo's on PBS and always wondered what it was. Now to my shock its a Global Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Maybe Corus Media should sell off BBC Canada to Blue Ant Media but then again that will probably never happen but we neve know. I've seen BBC Earth Logo's on PBS and always wondered what it was. Now to my shock its a Global Channel.
    I would not rule out that possibility. If Blue Ant Media were to acquire BBC Canada from Corus, they could rebrand HIFI in the process. Their focus is no longer on music and art - it's evolved into a hybrid of both a general entertainment channel and one that is due for a makeover (no original programming, little to no acquisitions and pretty much all reruns from their other specialty channels).

Considering how Blue Ant Media's co-founder was previously chairman of Alliance Atlantis (which originally launched BBC Canada), they could help bring some long-awaited and badly needed fresh content to this channel, especially out of the UK Their partnership with BBC Worldwide would be instrumental in making this possible.

In a landscape where independent media companies are in danger of losing out, companies like Blue Ant Media, Anthem Sports & Entertainment and Stingray Digital are one of the few actually thriving thanks to their expanded footprint beyond Canada and by reaching multiple platforms besides just linear television.

I can't imagine Blue Ant trying to compete with Bell or Corus for any major scripted serie or comedy, so any big UK/European serie will likely always be on Showcase,Space,Bravo...

But Blue Ant might have more chances with something like a canadian BBC Four.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Four

There's some other BBC Worldwide brands that would fit with Blue Ant's core programming scheme of lifestyle and other non-scripted programs than a BBC Canada or BBC Four (I can guarantee you they would not launch a BBC Four brand in Canada - it's too jarring to stick a 'Four' brand on a channel without their being a 1 - 3 as well) like BBC Knowledge or BBC Lifestyle - both good fits for a rebranded HIFI or possibly a rebrand of AUX - music programming is just not their priority any longer and regardless of what they do with the channels, both will be rebranded to something - BBC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    There's some other BBC Worldwide brands that would fit with Blue Ant's core programming scheme of lifestyle and other non-scripted programs than a BBC Canada or BBC Four (I can guarantee you they would not launch a BBC Four brand in Canada - it's too jarring to stick a 'Four' brand on a channel without their being a 1 - 3 as well) like BBC Knowledge or BBC Lifestyle - both good fits for a rebranded HIFI or possibly a rebrand of AUX - music programming is just not their priority any longer and regardless of what they do with the channels, both will be rebranded to something - BBC or not.
    Music programming is no longer a priority in general, especially now with the availability of multiple platforms. Heck, VH1 in the U.S. scrapped its music programming altogether at the beginning of the year (and in the process became more like a secondary channel for BET, without the music videos) so any plans of expanding the brand to Canada (potential M3 rebrand perhaps) were likely abandoned.

Seems to me that the only real music channel currently in Canada is one that recently launched, six years after it originally debuted in the UK - Vintage TV Canada, along with the former Much spin-off video channels that were sold from Bell Media to Stingray Digital. Currently, Vintage TV Canada is only on Shaw (both digital cable and Shaw Direct satellite services) - its success here in Canada will depend on whether other major providers reach an agreement to carry the channel. If that is the case, then it has the same potential already achieved in the UK.

Until recently, AUX had some interesting music shows including the BBC's Live with...Jools Holland (which also aired previously on BBC Canada) but after a while, kept repeating the same episodes, with the more recent one originally produced sometime after 2011 and no later than that. They also had Live from the Artists Den, which has also aired on PBS, but also got stuck with the same reruns. Both shows have since disappeared from their lineup, and many of their music-themed shows on their current lineup are several years old. It still has music video blocks (titled Playlist) in the form of half-hour segments based on themes, but other than that, more non-music programs and reruns of original shows no longer in production.
    Last edited by lostjon; 12-09-2016 at 12:23 AM.

I said "something like BBC Four" , a schedule similar to that ,a mixed of documentaries and a bit of art programming (old, more niche drama...)
    It doesn't have to be named BBC Four.

I don't think the name BBC Knowledge would be a great one.In the UK, BBC Four replaced BBC Knowledge and for the International
    In 2014 it was announced that BBC Worldwide would rollout a new channel, BBC Earth, which would replace BBC Knowledge in most locations, except for where it was successful.

Anyway I think ,Blue Ant should concentrate on BBC Earth .
    It is a big name with beautiful documentaries like Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, or Africa but I'm a bit concerned , will it be the same few documentaries repeated countless times.