Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

BBC Canada has a lot of scripted programming

I know some of you keep saying that BBC Canada is not programmed as it should, but even though I think any channel can be better, compare to most big specialty channel like Bravo, Space, Showcase, etc, it actually right now as lots more original scripted shows on the air...In this case I don't say original series as made by them, but rather series not shown anywhere else, new series.

Drama with new episodes (most ahead of US showings)

The Moonstone (Season1, 3 months after UK Original Air Date)
    Father Brown (season 5, 1 month after UK OAD)
    The Coroner (season 2, 2 months after UK OAD)
    A Place to Call Home (Season 4, 4 months after Australia OAD)
    The Kettering Incident (season 1, from Sep 2016 OAD)
    Rillington Place (season 1, 2 months after OAD)

Comedy

Walliams & Friend (season 1, 2 months after UK OAD)

They also have a few unscripted shows like Motorheads that shows like 3 weeks after the UK and others.

How many original series are on Bravo right now? 2, soon 3 (Colony, Suits and Good Behavior), Space has 2 (The Expanse & Supernatural) and Showcase has 4 (Rizzoli & Isles from 2 years ago, Supergirl, The magicians & The Path).

I am sure those BBC Canada shows as cheaper to acquire, but an effort is there that a lot don't see. I only wish it was in HD here.

I don't know. I guess I find it hard to believe that any channel airing a talk show that's about 15 months behind the current BBC airings, is making any effort at all to stay current. And it's not as if The Graham Norton Show has lousy guests. In fact, BBC America is only a week behind.

BBC Canada now resembles HMV Canada. HMV will be gone in April, and BBC Canada might not be far behind it, on its way out the door.

Bravo Canada and Showcase go after big shows because they can. BBC Canada goes after fringe shows because by the time the staff gets to the store, only the bargain bins have anything in them that are available to purchase. However, for some reason, BBC Canada still manages to get most of the new David Walliams BBC stuff (I liked Big School that aired in 2013 and 2014 --> BBC Canada's last year of minor relevance, although as an SD channel, it was easy to see it was DOA already).

So, if we accept the fact that BBC Canada is declining in relevance, and on a path that should soon approach the fate of HMV Canada, they obviously need to have exclusive content, or face a faster extinction. Of the shows that BBC Canada has now, most would probably end up elsewhere at some point, but most folks wouldn't even notice them.

Super Channel also picks up lots of content from the bargain bins and is also struggling to stay relevant, but at least it's still getting some new shows that other channels would love to add to their schedules.

BBC Canada is in serious need of some fresh paint. But once the fresh paint is added, it still won't be able to hide the fact that the building itself is crumbling. It would be in everyone's best interest, if BBC Canada simply crawled into a corner and died. It's been a failure to launch, almost since day 1.

BBC Canada ... It's where shows go when nobody else wants them.

So where's BBC Canada going? To the graveyard, that's where.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    I know some of you keep saying that BBC Canada is not programmed as it should, but even though I think any channel can be better, compare to most big specialty channel like Bravo, Space, Showcase, etc, it actually right now as lots more original scripted shows on the air...In this case I don't say original series as made by them, but rather series not shown anywhere else, new series.

Drama with new episodes (most ahead of US showings)

The Moonstone (Season1, 3 months after UK Original Air Date)
    Father Brown (season 5, 1 month after UK OAD)
    The Coroner (season 2, 2 months after UK OAD)
    A Place to Call Home (Season 4, 4 months after Australia OAD)
    The Kettering Incident (season 1, from Sep 2016 OAD)
    Rillington Place (season 1, 2 months after OAD)

Comedy

Walliams & Friend (season 1, 2 months after UK OAD)

They also have a few unscripted shows like Motorheads that shows like 3 weeks after the UK and others.

How many original series are on Bravo right now? 2, soon 3 (Colony, Suits and Good Behavior), Space has 2 (The Expanse & Supernatural) and Showcase has 4 (Rizzoli & Isles from 2 years ago, Supergirl, The magicians & The Path).

I am sure those BBC Canada shows as cheaper to acquire, but an effort is there that a lot don't see. I only wish it was in HD here.
    It was only a matter of time before Good Behavior would finally get picked up here in Canada - Bravo earned the rights in the end though Showcase, Netflix and Superchannel could have been prime candidates as well.

Speaking of scripted and original shows from the BBC currently airing, here are lists worth checking out:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ast_by_the_BBC
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_BBC_Canada

Indeed rather slim pickings, but it's also worth considering the competition from other channels and SVOD services in terms of their acquisitions.

From the list, here are several others:
    Doctor Who - Space
    Class - Space
    The Fall - Bravo
    Underground - CBC
    River - Netflix
    Happy Valley - Netflix / MAX (French)
    The Missing - Superchannel
    Line of Duty - Superchannel
    EastEnders - Vision TV
    Sherlock - BBC Canada then Showcase, albeit a long delay after having aired on PBS, which is available for nearly all Canadian viewers.
    Poldark - Vision TV

Even BBC Kids is also showing dramas in primetime.

In the past, Showcase would also have first-run Canadian rights to several original BBC scripted shows. That changed somewhat with the launch of BBC Canada in 2001, though some popular series would still occasionally premiere on Showcase. Following Shaw Media's acquisition of Alliance Atlantis (their original owners), that ended as Showcase scrapped its program blocks from the US and Australia in favour of movies and reruns of shows already airing on Global and other Shaw-owned specialty channels. Before being sold off to Blue Ant Media, the former specialty channel bold (at the time owned by CBC) also carried a number of BBC original series in their schedule.

Since then, BBC shows airing on Showcase have been slim to none. Few shows that have aired would be in a second window following their original runs on BBC Canada - examples of this include Sherlock and Mrs. Brown's Boys.
    Last edited by lostjon; 01-29-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    BBC Canada now resembles HMV Canada. HMV will be gone in April, and BBC Canada might not be far behind it, on its way out the door.

Bravo Canada and Showcase go after big shows because they can. BBC Canada goes after fringe shows because by the time the staff gets to the store, only the bargain bins have anything in them that are available to purchase. However, for some reason, BBC Canada still manages to get most of the new David Walliams BBC stuff (I liked Big School that aired in 2013 and 2014 --> BBC Canada's last year of minor relevance, although as an SD channel, it was easy to see it was DOA already).

So, if we accept the fact that BBC Canada is declining in relevance, and on a path that should soon approach the fate of HMV Canada, they obviously need to have exclusive content, or face a faster extinction. Of the shows that BBC Canada has now, most would probably end up elsewhere at some point, but most folks wouldn't even notice them.

Super Channel also picks up lots of content from the bargain bins and is also struggling to stay relevant, but at least it's still getting some new shows that other channels would love to add to their schedules.

BBC Canada is in serious need of some fresh paint. But once the fresh paint is added, it still won't be able to hide the fact that the building itself is crumbling. It would be in everyone's best interest, if BBC Canada simply crawled into a corner and died. It's been a failure to launch, almost since day 1.

BBC Canada ... It's where shows go when nobody else wants them.

So where's BBC Canada going? To the graveyard, that's where.
    Given that BBC Canada is currently owned by Corus and they are in the process of reviewing which specialty channels they plan to keep, it seems like a prime candidate to be sold off to another buyer. We can rule out Bell or Rogers at this point.

So so that would leave Blue Ant Media, ZoomerMedia and BC's Knowledge Network (majority owners of BBC Kids) as potential owners.

Blue Ant Media, which recently launched BBC Earth can further expand the brand in Canada and in the process refresh one of its existing specialty channels like AUX and HIFI (both have more or less become zombie channels at this stage).

ZoomerMedia's VisionTV is currently home to EastEnders and retro Britcoms. They also recently reached a distribution deal with ITV Global Studios Entertainment, adding more British shows to their lineup.

BC's Knowledge Network and BBC Worldwide (joint owners of BBC Kids) should also be considered. It would not be hindered as much by CanCon from other Corus-owned specialty channels, and given the existing partnership with BBC Worldwide, they can take more advantage of obtaining exclusive Canadian rights to BBC original programs across different genres.

Or just like BBC Three in the UK, it may shut down but continue operating as a SVOD service, which could be the case for more Canadian specialty channels. OUTtv (which originally launched as PrideVision) recently changed owners and project that within 2-3 years, they will shut down and evolve more into a Netflix-like subscription service.

Come on Blue Ant! Buy that storage locker known as BBC Canada and stock it with fresher content, and then when you lose all your money, sell it to somebody else.

BBC Canada ... We are NOT morons. We just needed a place to store our socks. Please buy us out.

BBC online ... Sorry, Canada, but we only accept Canadian pirates at our site. Put on your eye-patch and enjoy the view.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.