Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Speciality Changes: WFN and OUTtv

A few changes i thought I'd bring up here since it hasn't already been mentioned:

• WFN has been sold to Keywest Marketing, owners of a few hunting and fishing magazines and a TV production company - this means that Insight Sports has now officially exited the broadcasting game entirely - all other assets both in Canada and internationally have been sold or shut down - WFN USA, GolTV, NHL Network Canada, GameTV. WFN USA still maintains their minority interest in the Canadian channel.
    • OUTtv's majority ownership stake has been sold to Stern Partners - an investment firm who also owns interest in Winnipeg Free Press. They mentioned in a media interview that they actually plan on shutting down the channel in the future and focusing on the OUTtvGO service, although it will last until at least 2020 - OUTtvGO is an online streaming service. They also mentioned in their CRTC application that they plan on purchasing other channels, including international ones, which seems to contradict their plans to shut down the TV channel and focus on an internet model unless they want to buy it all up and shut them all down and move it to online. Seems silly, but it's an idea.
    • GameTV is now officially owned by Anthem Sports and Entertainment. Wonder what will happen to it?
    • MAV TV Canada has launched - however, its only currently available from a few very small tv companies from CCSA. The only one I'm aware of is ATOP tv.
    Last edited by musimax; 02-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.

A few changes i thought I'd bring up here since it hasn't already been mentioned
    Thanks for posting the info, this is the first I have read or heard about the WFN & OUTtv news.

WFN has been sold to Keywest Marketing, owners of a few hunting and fishing magazines and a TV production company
    Interesting, I wonder if they will tweak the focus of the channel and add in some hunting programs as well?! This would put it in direct competition with Wild TV, although they have recently broadened their scope adding more outdoor programming like fishing and shooting.

GameTV is now officially owned by Anthem Sports and Entertainment. Wonder what will happen to it?
    I am wondering what they are going to do with it as well. I thought initially that nothing had happened because the CRTC hadn't approved the deal but the approval came down toward the end of last year. I don't see them keeping it going as is, I suspect the lack of changes might be due to ongoing discussions with BDU's regarding carriage of this channel. I think they might re-brand it as Edge Sport but GameTV is currently available through most (if not all) providers in their basic package where I doubt it will remain if they re-brand it. They are probably negotiating on where they want the channel to be placed, I suspect some BDU's might want to just offer it a la carte, while Anthem Sports probably wants it in a theme pack or bigger package.