Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Super Channel launches GINX eSportsTV

First 24-hour eSports Channel to Launch in Canada

LONDON and EDMONTON, Feb 15, 2017 /CNW/ - Premium Canadian broadcaster Super Channel and leading international entertainment provider GINX eSportsTV have signed an exclusive deal to create and distribute a new 24-hour channel for video game fans.

The new eSports channel will target millions of gaming enthusiasts and players in Canada and feature live eSports events, news and gaming lifestyle programming.

This new eSports channel will be part of Super Channel's four multiplexed channels and will launch across Canada in the spring/summer of 2017. At launch, the channel will be instantly available to all Super Channel subscribers as part of their existing package, and new customers can also subscribe to the new 24-hour eSports programming available on Super Channel through their cable, satellite and IPTV provider.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...613844823.html
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

This clearly looks like a rebrand of an existing channel of theirs. Probably Super Channel 4 obviously since since it won't be Super Channel 1 and it's unlikely they'll jump a channel with a gap of Ginx inbetween them.

Seems like the beginning of the end of Super Channel... not that it'll shut down, but its current incarnation isn't sustainable so they'll likely lower prices and rebrand each channel as something new that costs less and make the lower price viable. I wouldn't have guessed this type of rebrand though. I would have thought maybe a Hollywood Suite-type strategy where it'll be a cheaper all movie schedule or a some mid-level cable brands in the US, but an esports channel? Hey, if it works for them, great.

Attention Canada. Super Channel is for sale. Keep this on the down-low because we have to make it initially look like we are still in business and all Canadian, while our bankruptcy mess is being swept under the rug. We've already made a deal with a gaming channel (what a bunch of hosers) to "share" one of our dead channels, but we still have 3 left. Poker anyone? Go-karts? If you've got cash, we've got a channel with your name on it. No reasonable offer refused. Call 1-800-For-Sale.

What a mess.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I tought they should get rebrand as Starz . They already have it's programming anyway.

Rebranding won't help them. It's a content issue ... they are getting crushed by Bell's offerings. Switching to a completely different genre is their last gasp, I assume. RIPieces, Super Channel ... you will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    I tought they should get rebrand as Starz . They already have it's programming anyway.
    That makes sense, but it may also depend on the price for licencing the brand, which ain't a good expense idea from a bankrupt company, and scheduling restrictions on the channel, meaning Allarco will have to obtain past Starz catalog just like HBO Canada to fill the rest of the schedule. Starz is a movie channel, air many classics which are already on TMN Encore... Disney brand from Astral to DHX to Corus, anyone ? Eventually, Starz will want more money and Bell will outbid Allarco, rebrand one of their channel...

Check the iTunes Store and Google Play, spot an original game, you will find a bunch of copy knockoffs, meaning any idiot can submit an app. I can't find the Super Channel app, it doesn't exist. In 2017.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I think they should get rid of the multiplex channels and just stick with 1 as they don't have enough content to fill 4 channels. I would keep the Starz programming as well as any foreign shows they can get the rights to that Bell or Corus don't snatch up and lower the price (which they have apparently been trying to for a while now from what I have read).

As for the Starz re-brand, Starz is not a very strong brand IMO, they have only been airing original programming for about 10 years now and I don't think they have had very many hits.

But what if instead of paying for the Starz brand they gave them part of the company? They could get the brand name and probably getting the programming for less? It would be better than closing shop. yes the brand is not as strong by far from HBO or Showtime, but they are better know than just a couple years ago and their programming is also getting better.

Canada clearly needs Super channel to survive, so whatever happens, I hope they can hold on for at least another 3 or 4 years before they finally surrender.

Under normal circumstances, Starz would have been a decent way to go. But for right now, this is a company that barely has its face above water and Starz will likely cost more than usual now that it's been bought out by Lionsgate and they'll be asking for more than usual to recoup the cost they paid for it. Maybe during the beginning when Super Channel launched, it would have made more sense to go with Starz with a cheaper subscription fee comparatively to what TMN and MC was going for, but not now.

At this point, it makes more sense to take on a Hollywood Suite model, where you focus on low cost content at a cheaper price for subscribers at least until you get your momentum and are back into the black, then reevaluate if need be.

I could see Bell offering them a unreal amount of cash and that will be it.