Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

G4 to cease operations as of September 1st

Not sure if there is an official announcement but Shaw has sent a note to their subscribers that G4 will cease operations as of September 1 2017. Expect announcements from other BDUs in the next few weeks.

I will copy in the ROGERS specialty thread.

Its about time. G4 in the USA shut down over 2 years ago- why did they keep this channel on the air for so long and was it just airing old G4 programs over and over?! Corus and Bell need to get rid of some dead weight channels as well- I wonder if we will get more channel shut down announcements in the weeks to come?!

In this new media world where streaming services are gaining popularity and people want more control over their viewing (i.e. a la carte), the focus IMO should be on quality over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Its about time. G4 in the USA shut down over 2 years ago- why did they keep this channel on the air for so long and was it just airing old G4 programs over and over?! Corus and Bell need to get rid of some dead weight channels as well- I wonder if we will get more channel shut down announcements in the weeks to come?!

In this new media world where streaming services are gaining popularity and people want more control over their viewing (i.e. a la carte), the focus IMO should be on quality over quantity.
    It was only a matter of time that this would happen. This channel actually showed promise back when it launched as a Canadian version of TechTV. Of course, once it merged with G4, and following the U.S. version, that's when my level of interest went down. I suppose they could have kept things fresh by turning it into a linear version of CNET (I think this channel carried some original CNET programming in the late 2000s). Then you combine with the growing popularity of YouTube, streaming services and subsequently the decline of the G4 channel in the U.S., this became one of Rogers' zombie channels. It astounds me that they kept it going on for this long, instead of selling it off or shutting down. Not surprisingly, there has been no mention of this channel on the Rogers Media website, so the end was inevitable. Rogers will continue to focus on its core brands, namely City, Sportsnet, OMNI, FX, FXX and VICELAND (a rebrand of Bio - another channel that was a candidate to shut down). They also have OLN, another outdated brand from the U.S. version which is now NBC Sports Network. It has evolved into a generic channel that straddles the line between adventure and reality programming, and on rare occasions, will serve as a spare feed for Sportsnet when they have conflicts with live sports programming. They got rid of the Much video channels (Retro, Vibe, Loud and Juicebox) which were sold to Stingray Digital after opting to abolish their CRTC license.

Having said all this and adding to the previous post, there are indeed a number of channels (especially those owned by Bell and Corus) that will be following the likes of G4, iChannel, bpm and The Pet Network in the next few years.

Bell's focus is on their 8 core specialty channels, namely Bravo, Comedy, Discovery, E!, Gusto, Much, MTV and Space. But even some of those channels leave one to question for how long they will continue to operate. Longevity certainly does not hurt, but as we've already mentioned, the real test will come once the carriage requirements are lifted and it comes down to which channels are more popular especially with a la carte becoming more widely available. On a much smaller scale, there's the Discovery suite of specialty channels (Animal Planet, Discovery Science, Discovery Velocity and Investigation Discovery) - they carry some original programming but are not promoted as much except when they go on free preview. Beyond TSN (sports), TMN and HBO Canada (movies and series), and CTV News Channel, what's left after that? The channels that have very low subscription such as MTV2, Comedy Gold, FashionTelevision and BookTelevision. At least one of these needs to go. ESPN Classic Canada does not seem to offer much that would be worth keeping it on the air, although I suppose it could be converted into an alternate channel to complement TSN's multiple feeds when running into conflicts with live sporting events. And they have talked about selling off one of their channels in their partnership with WOW! Unlimited Media.

Corus has way too many channels - especially since they absorbed Shaw Media last year. I made light of this and gave my thoughts about which channels they should consider either folding up or selling off based on their recent upfront announcements here:
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...SCHEDULES-2017 (post #14)

The channels that have very low subscription such as MTV2, Comedy Gold, FashionTelevision and BookTelevision. At least one of these needs to go.
    All of those should go IMO. MTV2 programming should be merged together with MTV Canada to create one strong channel that airs the best programming from MTV & MTV2 USA. FashionTelevision & BookTelevision don't offer anything and have pretty much been abandoned by Bell. Comedy Gold could be kept going but in order for it to be viable IMO they need to refresh the programming on a regular basis and probably start including more newer series (from the 2000s) to broaden the audience base.

Similarly to the MTV2 scenario I mentioned above, FX & FXX should be merged together as should History & H2 (another Canadian clone whose US counterpart no longer exists). These 'spin-off' channels were created as money grabs to get people to subscribe to another channel just to get access to some original show that only airs on that channel. This concept won't work in the new media world, most can find said program online and won't spend the money to subscribe to an extra channel just for 1 or 2 shows that the spin-off channel airs.

Bell's focus is on their 8 core specialty channels, namely Bravo, Comedy, Discovery, E!, Gusto, Much, MTV and Space.
    I am surprised to see E! included in that list- is this channel that popular?! Their focus is mainly celebrity gossip and a bunch of reality shows. Also, you forgot TSN, that is definitely a CORE channel for Bell.

It will be interesting to see what Bell Media does with the Habs English games this fall. They are taking over the regional English rights from Sportsnet starting this fall. I'd imagine sometimes, they can air on TSN5 but TSN5 also airs Sens games. Could there be a TSN6 in the future? I'm guessing either Comedy Gold or ESPN Classic will be sold to Wow! Does anyone know for sure Bell isn't going to sell a Category A licenses and have it converted to Category B for Wow!. I believe as of September; any category A channel can become a category B channel should they choose. Category A channels will remain with mandatory carriage but they have to air a higher amount of Canadian programming. They however will lose their genre protection.

Comedy Gold could be kept going but in order for it to be viable IMO they need to refresh the programming on a regular basis and probably start including more newer series (from the 2000s) to broaden the audience base.
    Corus's DejaView was upgraded to HD a few months ago and started airing reruns of Haven, Rookie Blue and Working the Engels for their cancon quotas. Also, seasons 4 to 9 of Everybody Loves Raymond were filmed in HD. Comedy Gold has potential with little effort, but it may become too easily a Big Bang Theory rerun channel as soon as Comedy Network refreshes their lineup.

I am surprised to see E! included in that list- is this channel that popular?! Their focus is mainly celebrity gossip and a bunch of reality shows.
    And a few scripted shows as well (The Royals, The Arrangement)... It is one of NBCUniversal core channels, along with Syfy, USA, Bravo and Hulu. I don't see the point of dropping E! Canada channel and move reality shows on Bravo. Not sure Viacom would allow E! shows to air on MTV Canada...

As for Senators/Canadiens games on TSN 5, I better quote from fagstein's blog :
    Also unanswered so far is what channel the games will air on. TSN5 is used by the Ottawa Senators, so some sort of overflow channel will need to be used when both the Senators and Canadiens are playing, at the very least. (By my count, there are 15 regular-season games that the two teams play simultaneously — but not against each other — that aren’t part of the Sportsnet national windows.) That, and on-air hirings, will be answered closer to the start of the season.
    http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/06/13/...s-move-to-tsn/

Noteworthy : "Canadiens games are also broadcast on RDS, so not every game needs to be broadcast in English."
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Everything about this channel has annoyed me for some time - from the name, to the overall look of the brand, to the pointless and dated nature of its content, to the fact that it now isn't even a tech channel in any way shape or form but still refers to itself as a tech channel, at least online. When I heard Rogers was launching new channels back in the day - from the FX channels to Viceland, I was hoping they'd finally put this channel to rest and rebrand it, but nevertheless, it wasn't the case. So, I'm glad to see this come to an end, but I still hate to see the channel shut down. I don't see the rationale behind these companies continuing to shut channels down - even though the big companies haven't done much of it so far, but the threat is there. Why not use the channel for another brand? It's a Cat A so it has wide coverage, still makes a good profit, even though the subs have taken a big hit. We're pretty early into the pick-and-pay experiment so far, even though digital channels, like G4, have pretty much always been pick-and-pay since its existence (only the analog ones had to be bought in a package), so I can't imagine they've seen a huge trend of people dropping packages and switching to pick-and-pay yet. For a cable company, you'd think you'd want more channels, unique ones at that where you can't find its content online, because as more and more companies shut down channels, there will be even less of an incentive to buy cable, so you're kind of killing your own business.

I know Rogers has no creativity, so instead of launching a new Canadian brand and export it internationally like many of the independents are doing (Stingray, OutTV, Anthem, WildTV and Cult Movie, Blue Ant), how about launch FXM since you have a good relationship with Fox. I know, who needs another basic cable commercial movie channel, but hey, soon it seems like there won't be any of those left anymore if its true that Corus will be shutting down a huge load of their channels in the coming years as is expected (Action, IFC, Sundance... W Movies has already been rebranded, Showcase Action is Lifetime), and you know the movies channels will be the ones to go.

You mean Showcase Diva is now Lifetime Canada. Showcase Action is still around as Action.

Canada still has a tv industry? Wow, that's a great magic trick ... Abra Cadaver !
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    For a cable company, you'd think you'd want more channels, unique ones at that where you can't find its content online, because as more and more companies shut down channels, there will be even less of an incentive to buy cable, so you're kind of killing your own business.
    That's why canadian broadcasters are pointing fingers at Netflix, killing their linear rerun channel model. Then CraveTV and Shomi launched, trying to take away canadian rights to specific shows from Netflix...

At some point, we'll go back the way things were in 1999. Example, Space used to grab all sci-fi, fantasy/fantastic and supernatural themed shows, regardless of its source (Syfy, USA, CW), instead of splitting multiple clone channels from the states where new episodes air at the same time and the 23 other hours of the day are useless junk fillers (think FX/FXX).

I guess Rogers has sit on this G4 licence long enough and couldn't find a new vocation (like Bell did with MuchMore, became GustoTV), and in the background, the contract with providers must be about to expire and the majority of them have told Rogers their intention to drop the channel on expiration date due to lack of programming interest.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Article with Rogers confirmation of the news

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/20...ore-in-canada/

From a viewer's point of view , the fact that G4 last that long could be surprising but it is once again when you look at the numbers that it all make sense,
    Even before the american G4 closed in 2014, the canadian G4 wasn't making big profit , the numbers for 2009 to 2014 in terms of pre-tax profit are
    2009: 1 609 004$
    2010: 2 742 068$
    2011: 1 836 298$
    2012: 3 150 044$
    2013: 641 603$
    2014: 4 243 300$
    2015: 1 966 374$

In 2015, the numbers of subs dropped and so the revenue also dropped but on the other hand the programming expense was also greatly reduce so the end result in term of profit was mostly the same.

G4 might look like it was a dead weight or a zombie channel, but from a money point of view it wasn't that different from other Rogers non sport specialty channels.

Bio Pre-tax profit were
    2009 : 1 481 697$
    2010 : 3 321 916$
    2011 : 1 315 759 $
    2012 : 2 634 356 $
    2013 : 2 251 364 $
    2014 : 2 055 958$
    2015 : 236 938$

FX and FXX are still new channels so they might take some time to fully take off.
    Here's the first years numbers for the channels
    2012: -3,232,270$ (FX)
    2013: -1,568,836$ (FX)
    2014: -105,581$ (FX) / -3,817,690$ (FXX)
    2015: 2,035,103$ (FX) / -1,733,293$ (FXX)

Rogers most profitable non sport specialty channel is
    OLN
    2009 : 5,194,146$
    2010 : 7,128,978$
    2011 : 6,221,705$
    2012 : 6,728,627$
    2013 : 8,653,551$
    2014 : 4,008,864$
    2015 : 8,178,802$

I don't know if Viceland will do better than Bio , i have my doubts but I will be happy for them if it does and the same thing is true for FX and FXX. Unlike Bell or Corus , Rogers doesn't have any big non sport specialty channel, so they can't just program FX and FXX series on an already establish channel instead of launching new channels that are filler programming the majority of the time.

2011 to 2015 Financial Summaries : http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...l/ipsp2015.htm
    2009 to 2013 Financial Summaries : http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...l/ipsp2013.htm

I think FX might be a bit lower then expected but not by much as with Viceland I would not compare it with Bio at all.

Seems to me that the final nail in the coffin for this channel came after the daily block of Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run (which also aired on City) was dropped by Rogers in 2016.

At some point before those shows were dropped, Victor Lucas discussed with Rogers a possible rebrand of G4 to EPN:
    https://twitter.com/Victor_Lucas/sta...84183566594049

Meanwhile, Rogers Sportsnet recently struck a deal with ESL, the world's largest esports league, which gives them exclusive rights to esportsTV, the first global 24/7 esports television channel.
    As of this month, a weekly esports show is currently airing on Sportsnet 360.
    http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/05/sp...sportsnet-360/

If Rogers was really interested enough in continuing to run G4, they could have repositioned the channel in the last few years as esportsTV Canada. In the course of making some changes to their license, they could have converted it to an extension of the Sportsnet brand (like Sportsnet 360) and carry some of the popular shows on City (like they have done with VICELAND).

Given the increasing popularity of esports and Rogers' close ties to Sportsnet, this would have been a tremendous opportunity to not only fill a hole for a particular genre in the Canadian specialty landscape and appeal to a large audience, but also revive a channel that has not been watchable since the original G4 shut down few years ago. It would be safe to say that Sportsnet has a considerably higher subscription rate compared to Superchannel, which was used to launch GINX eSportsTV Canada as a 24/7 channel for video games.

Had Rogers been the first to jump at the opportunity ahead of Superchannel, a 24/7 linear channel for eSports and video games would have seemed feasible especially a few years ago and likely before they decided to spend billions for the national broadcast rights to the NHL.

Maybe they will consider this idea for OLN - another channel they own with an outdated brand with almost no original programming but just acquired reality shows.

Last but not least, Rogers has confirmed that with the shutdown, G4's existing license will not be changed to launch another channel.

Last edited by lostjon; 07-15-2017 at 01:17 AM.

There's a distinctive-looking hexagonal-shaped Rogers building in Toronto at Lake Shore Blvd and Bathurst St with a bunch of logos for their TV channels on the front. I rarely go past it nowadays and it's probably been months since I've seen it, but it did seem like the number of logos decreased every time I did. Looking at the Google street view, it's from a year ago and still shows G4 and Biography along with Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    There's a distinctive-looking hexagonal-shaped Rogers building in Toronto at Lake Shore Blvd and Bathurst St with a bunch of logos for their TV channels on the front. I rarely go past it nowadays and it's probably been months since I've seen it, but it did seem like the number of logos decreased every time I did. Looking at the Google street view, it's from a year ago and still shows G4 and Biography along with Omni.
    That building was the original headquarters for OMNI (dating back to the first years of broadcast when it was MTV / Channel 47 / CFMT) until Rogers acquired City in 2007-08. City, as we all know, moved from 299 Queen Street West to their current headquarters at Yonge and Dundas, where it is now based with OMNI.