Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Bloomberg TV Canada

I noticed not much discussion on this channel. It appears that Channel Zero has ceased operations of Bloomberg TV Canada. There was an announcement that in-house production would end back in August. There was speculation on how they would adhere to their license. It appears that as of October 5th, Bloomberg TV has reverted back to the U.S. version. The Bloomberg TV Canada brand has also been removed from Channel Zero website.

I'm surprised, but not surprised as well. If true, this was a complete disaster. I think I mentioned this before, but, everything Channel Zero touches tanks, they have the reverse Midas' touch. It takes a real skill to be that incompetent.

Clearly Bloomberg and Amanda Lang didn't do their homework when they decided to team up with these guys. Hopefully Amanada Lang didn't burn any bridges when she left BNN and CBC, cause there ain't any more places for her to go for TV unless she wants to branch out of the business niche.

Kind of like when Rogers tried it with MSNBC Canada...Boing Didn't work and was reverted back to the U.S service. I think Canada needs to stop cloning services and make some U.S services available instead. What this country needs is Better Retro Channels. Deja View just started sucking itself. But then again didn't parent company Channel Zero filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago throwing CHCH employees out of a job and cancelling its all day newscast. I never was one for either MSNBC or Bloomberg TV. Thankfully I subscribe to neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Kind of like when Rogers tried it with MSNBC Canada...Boing Didn't work and was reverted back to the U.S service. I think Canada needs to stop cloning services and make some U.S services available instead. What this country needs is Better Retro Channels. Deja View just started sucking itself. But then again didn't parent company Channel Zero filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago throwing CHCH employees out of a job and cancelling its all day newscast. I never was one for either MSNBC or Bloomberg TV. Thankfully I subscribe to neither.
    Corus owns Déjà View

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Corus owns Déjà View
    I think test pattern meant it as an example of retro channels...

Corus is currently restructiring, announced yesterday they're giving back Séries+ and Historia to Bell (Astral) for $200 millions, concentrating on core channels. Should Channel Zero acquire DéjàView and attempt to improve it... or organize a proper burial ?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Well according to Zap2it's listings, the schedule doesn't list any Bloomberg North or Bloomberg Markets: Canada - so it looks like its a done deal.

Too bad they couldn't make a go of it, but it is Channel Zero afterall - it was to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    I think test pattern meant it as an example of retro channels...

Corus is currently restructiring, announced yesterday they're giving back Séries+ and Historia to Bell (Astral) for $200 millions, concentrating on core channels. Should Channel Zero acquire DéjàView and attempt to improve it... or organize a proper burial ?
    I was actually thinking that Channel Zero could actually go after these channels. Considering that they already have Rewind (retro movie channel) and Silver Screen Classics, adding DejaView (from Corus) and Comedy Gold (from Bell) could supplement what they already have.

If it were up to me, I would consider changing the terms of their license by converting them from specialty channels to OTA and make them as subchannels of CHCH. It fits well with their programming outside of news and their primetime acquisitions.
    I think it's about time that the CRTC should allow for more digital subchannels like they already have in the U.S.

At the end of the day, easier said than done.

Hypothetically, under this arrangement, you would have something like this:

11.1 - CHCH Hamilton
    11.2 - DejaView - convert it to a channel for classic dramas
    11.3 - Comedy Gold - just as the name implies, classic sitcoms
    11.4 - Rewind - classic movies from the 1970s to 2000s
    11.5 - Silver Screen Classics - movies from earlier decades

In the case of Rewind, it can be considered expendable on the specialty side since there's already Hollywood Suite (4 channels) and M Encore.

Just look at the various retro and classic channels that are carried on OTA in the U.S.:
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...LES-2017/page2 (thread #24)

CHCH's broadcast area covers most of southern Ontario and parts of western New York, particularly Buffalo.

Out of the 15 digital subchannels, nearly all of them are already available OTA in the Buffalo market.

Only the following three are missing:
    Decades - joint venture between the CBS Television Stations subsidiary of CBS Corporation and Weigel Broadcasting, TV sitcoms and dramas from 1950s through 2000s, feature films, historical news and documentaries
    Movies! - joint venture between Weigel Broadcasting and the Fox Television Stations subsidiary of 21st Century Fox, feature films
    This TV - joint venture between Weigel Broadcasting and the Fox Television Stations subsidiary of 21st Century Fox, films, classic TV series and children's programming

Perhaps CHCH should work out a deal to acquire programming and films from these channels for the Canadian market.

But barring any ownership changes and given Channel Zero's questionable track record, again easier said than done.

As for Corus, DejaView, Historia and Series+ is just a start. There's a whole lot more channels they need to either sell off or shut down.

Honestly, I wish CraveTV or Netflix would pick up some of the retro series. Even if Channel Zero bought the channels and actually improved the programming, they would most certainly air syndicated versions of the episodes which depending on how old the show is, it could be missing anywhere from 2-6 minutes per episode. I know CBS is launching All Access in Canada soon. They have quite a few retro series that they own. I'd love to get access to Hulu to get complete episodes of Step by Step and Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.

In all honesty though, they would probably air the same series that are currently airing on CHCH and maybe 2-3 additional shows and that's it. It would probably go on auto pilot for years just like the other broadcasters. Silver Screen Classics and Rewind have been airing the same movies for years. Heck in Silver Screen Classics case, they have a tendency to rely on public domain movies.
    Last edited by bigoranget; 10-28-2017 at 02:19 PM.

It would be nice to have Hulu enter the Canadian market, especially with all the retro series to which they currently have the rights. But between CraveTV, Netflix, Amazon and CBS All Access (arriving soon), plenty of bragging rights will be at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    It appears that Channel Zero has ceased operations of Bloomberg TV Canada.
    And... Bell Media once again had something to do with it !

Bell Media and Bloomberg Media Partner to Create Canada’s Leading Multi-Platform Business News Brand, BNN Bloomberg
    http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/bel...bnn-bloomberg/

TORONTO and NEW YORK (January 8, 2018) – Bell Media and Bloomberg Media today announced the two media companies have partnered to create Canada’s leading multi-platform business news brand, BNN Bloomberg. Launching in Spring 2018, BNN Bloomberg will provide audiences and advertisers with an unparalleled suite of products across digital, television and radio, targeting Canada’s business decision makers.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."