Schedule subject to change

Monday January 8
    CTV

7:00pm etalk
    7:30pm The Big Bang Theory (strip)
    8:00pm Lucifer (s-FOX)
    9:00pm Young Sheldon (s-CBS)
    9:30pm The Big Bang Theory (s-CBS)
    10:00pm The Good Doctor (s-ABC) (new - winter premiere)

CTV Two
    7:00pm The Goldbergs (strip)
    7:30pm etalk
    8:00pm CTV Movie: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011)
    10:00pm The Big Bang Theory (strip)
    10:30pm Seinfeld (strip)

Tuesday January 9

CTV
    8:00pm Ellen's Game of Games (s-NBC) (new)
    9:00pm This Is Us (s-NBC) (new - winter premiere)
    10:00pm Kevin (Probably) Saves the World (s-ABC) (new)

CTV Two
    8:00pm The Flash (s-CW)
    9:00pm DC's Legends of Tomorrow (s-CW)

Wednesday January 10

CTV
    8:00pm The X-Files (s-FOX) (new)
    9:00pm The Launch (series premiere) (simulcast on CTV Two and MUCH)
    10:00pm Criminal Minds (s-CBS) (new)

CTV Two
    8:00pm The Goldbergs (s-ABC) (new)
    8:30pm American Housewife (pre-ABC) (new)
    9:00pm The Launch (series premiere) (simulcast on CTV and MUCH)

Thursday January 11

CTV
    8:00pm The Big Bang Theory (s-CBS) (new)
    8:30pm Young Sheldon (s-CBS) (new)
    9:00pm Cardinal (new)
    10:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (post-NBC 1/10) (new)

CTV Two
    7;00pm The Goldbergs (strip)
    8:00pm The Disappearance
    9:00pm Arrow

Friday January 12
    CTV

8:00pm Blindspot (s-NBC) (new - winter premiere)
    9:00pm Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (s-ABC) (new)
    10:00pm Blue Bloods (s-CBS) (new)

CTV Two
    8:00pm Younger (S1)
    8:30pm Younger (S1)
    9:00pm CTV Movie: Crossfire (2016) (new to CTV Two)

Saturday January 13
    CTV (All times local)

Atlantic Canada

5:30pm NFL Playoffs: NFC Divisional Game - Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles (s-NBC) (live)
    8:30pm The NFL Today (s-CBS) (live)
    9:15pm NFL Playoffs: AFC Divisional Game - Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (s-CBS) (live)

Ontario / Montreal
    4:30pm NFL Playoffs: NFC Divisional Game - Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles (s-NBC) (live)
    7:30pm The NFL Today (s-CBS) (live)
    8:15pm NFL Playoffs: AFC Divisional Game - Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (s-CBS) (live)

Winnipeg / Saskatchewan
    6:30pm The NFL Today (s-CBS) (live)
    7:15pm NFL Playoffs: AFC Divisional Game - Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (s-CBS) (live)
    10:00pm Mike & Molly
    10:30pm The Big Bang Theory

Alberta
    6:15pm NFL Playoffs: AFC Divisional Game - Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (s-CBS) (live)
    9:00pm Mike & Molly
    9:30pm The Big Bang Theory
    10:00pm The Launch (Wednesday series premiere encore)

British Columbia
    5:15pm NFL Playoffs: AFC Divisional Game - Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (s-CBS) (live)
    8:00pm Mike & Molly
    8:30pm The Big Bang Theory
    9:00pm The Launch (Wednesday series premiere encore)
    10:00pm Cardinal

CTV Two (All times local)

Ontario / Atlantic (+1 hr)

7:30pm Figure Skating: 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (live)
    10:00pm W5

Alberta
    5:30pm Figure Skating: 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (live)
    8:00pm Motive
    9:00pm Flashpoint

Vancouver Island
    4:30pm Figure Skating: 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (live)
    7:00pm Saving Hope
    8:00pm Motive (S1)
    9:00pm Flashpoint

Sunday January 14

CTV (All times local)

Atlantic Canada
    5:30pm NFL Playoffs: NFC Divisional Game - New Orleans Saints at Minnesota Vikings (s-FOX) (live)
    8:30pm FOX NFL Postgame (s-FOX) (live)
    9:00pm Shark Tank (pre-ABC) (new)
    10:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (pre-NBC 1/17) (new)

Ontario / Montreal
    4:30pm NFL Playoffs: NFC Divisional Game - New Orleans Saints at Minnesota Vikings (s-FOX) (live)
    7:30pm FOX NFL Postgame (s-FOX) (live)
    8:00pm The Big Bang Theory
    9:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (pre-NBC 1/17) (new)
    10:00pm Shark Tank (s-ABC) (new)

Winnipeg / Saskatchewan
    7:00pm Mike & Molly
    7:30pm Mike & Molly
    8:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (pre-NBC 1/17) (new)
    9:00pm Shark Tank (s-ABC) (new)
    10:00pm The Big Bang Theory
    10:30pm The Big Bang Theory

Alberta
    8:00pm Shark Tank (pre-ABC) (new)
    9:00pm The Big Bang Theory
    9:30pm The Big Bang Theory
    10:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (pre-NBC 1/17) (new)

Vancouver (BC)
    9:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (pre-NBC 1/17) (new)

CTV Two
    7:00pm Corner Gas
    7:30pm Corner Gas
    8:00pm CTV Movie: The Hunters (2013)
    Last edited by lostjon; 01-13-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Updated CTV listings for Sunday January 14

NFL on CTV and TSN - 2017-18

NFL PLAYOFFS - Divisional Round

All games televised on CTV and RDS

Saturday January 13

4:35pm ET / 1:35pm PT
    NFC Divisional Game: Atlanta Falcons (6) @ Philadelphia Eagles (1) (NBC)

8:15pm ET / 5:15pm PT
    AFC Divisional Game: Tennessee Titans (5) @ New England Patriots (1) (CBS)

Sunday January 14

1:05pm ET / 10:05am PT
    AFC Divisional Game: Jacksonville Jaguars (3) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (2) (CBS)

4:40pm ET / 1:40pm PT
    NFC Divisional Game: New Orleans Saints (4) @ Minnesota Vikings (2) (FOX)

Source: http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/POST

Full broadcast details here: http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/nfl...isional-round/
    Last edited by lostjon; 01-13-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    Thursday January 11
    CTV
    10:00pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (post-NBC 1/10) (new)

Sunday January 14
    CTV (All times local)

Ontario / Montreal
    9:00pm Shark Tank (s-ABC) (new)
    CTV bumped L&O:SVU to thursday 10pm this week due to The Launch premiere taking its wed 9pm timeslot, but next thursday Jan 18, HTGAWM is coming back to the schedule. Soooo, CTV decided to move the new episode of SVU in pre-release sunday 9pm (Jan 14), scrapping the 9pm Shark Tank simsub and keeping the TBBT fillers at 8pm. That move looks completely stupid as they could have scheduled L&O at 8pm and keep the ST simsub at 9pm, but TBBT fillers are used as cushions to any possible football overruns, insuring the newscasts starts at 11pm sharp. But keeping the schedule that same way for Vancouver and Alberta is completely stupid.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 01-12-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

There was no press release for the ratings of The Launch. That means it was not as big as they hoped for. Waiting for 3 days of recordings maybe before taking about them.

I watch the first 2 contestant and found it was so boring. I think there are way too many of those with Fox having a new one, American idol coming back and CBS has one in development. NBC even has another one. A bit too low key to keep my interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    There was no press release for the ratings of The Launch. That means it was not as big as they hoped for. Waiting for 3 days of recordings maybe before taking about them.

I watch the first 2 contestant and found it was so boring. I think there are way too many of those with Fox having a new one, American idol coming back and CBS has one in development. NBC even has another one. A bit too low key to keep my interested.
    Meh...Can't say I'm surprised. We'll have to wait and see how Bell has spun this based on the weekly ratings numbers from Numeris due out later in the upcoming week. And they even aired it on CTV Two, Much and VRAK...

I did catch about the first 10-15 minutes out of curiosity and it was somewhat interesting, but not enough for me to keep following it over the next six weeks. Even after the weeks and months of promos, I still could not fully understand the entire concept of the show's format.

In some ways, it's like the established and proven predecessors like American Idol and The Voice. Unlike those shows, there will not be just one, but six winning musical acts (one each week) that will get to record an original song with all the incentives (airplay on Bell Media's iHeart Radio stations, a recording contract, etc.) From what I recalled in the first few minutes, each episode has five acts and the judges go through their selection process. Those that make the cut will have 48 hours with the assistance of the musical guests to go into the studio, record the song and then perform it before a studio audience (it's no longer live since the episodes were taped back in the fall. Then the winner is decided.

It seems like broadcast networks are destined to make the same mistakes and here we go - television is once again becoming oversaturated with musical reality competition shows.

Though you can't blame CTV for wanting to get back into this genre. It's been nearly a decade since Canadian Idol has been on the air. The president of Bell Media has his connections in the music industry. They went out to get some of the biggest artists and producers in music. But in terms of format, is it really new and original for CanCon and good enough for audiences elsewhere to adapt? Most of these types of shows have either been adapted or borrowed from other formats that were successful elsewhere, so they figure it could work here. So now they are trying to make it happen the other way around. I suppose we can give them the benefit of the doubt, but only time will tell whether this either sinks or swims.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    CTV bumped L&O:SVU to thursday 10pm this week due to The Launch premiere taking its wed 9pm timeslot, but next thursday Jan 18, HTGAWM is coming back to the schedule. Soooo, CTV decided to move the new episode of SVU in pre-release sunday 9pm (Jan 14), scrapping the 9pm Shark Tank simsub and keeping the TBBT fillers at 8pm. That move looks completely stupid as they could have scheduled L&O at 8pm and keep the ST simsub at 9pm, but TBBT fillers are used as cushions to any possible football overruns, insuring the newscasts starts at 11pm sharp. But keeping the schedule that same way for Vancouver and Alberta is completely stupid.
    New year, same old scheduling practices.

It does somewhat make sense that CTV is using Big Bang Theory reruns as a cushion for overrun NFL coverage.

So that's three original episodes of Shark Tank now on the shelf. I figure they will be saved as filler for some of the pre-empted NBC shows during the Olympics. The only regular NBC shows currently airing on CTV and/or CTV Two are Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, This Is Us and Blindspot. Ellen's Game of Games wraps up before the Olympics, while The Voice returns for a new season afterwards.
    Last edited by lostjon; 01-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Bell's CTV attempted to build some buzz around a canadian-wide music-competition event, inspired from the success on TVA's Star Académie, which was a hybrid song-competition with Big Brother. CTV should have used the almost-empty primetime sunday night slot in alternance with the Awards shows, and use the 7:30pm slot for daily 30-minutes updates instead of their beloved TBBT fillers.

The Launch was announced with much fanfare back in April... with a logo and a concept. They started working on it by the end of august.

Noticed in the premiere,*there was 10 participants, paired in duets meaning 5 songs were performed, but only 3 of them made it on the air. « Two artists, Julia Tomlinson and Alex Zaichkowski (aka Havelin), had their entire auditions cut from the episode (presumably for time), which really really sucks for them. »
    http://blog.fagstein.com/2018/01/12/review-the-launch/

As I said, 1-hour format, wednesday 9pm, sandwiched between X-Files and Criminal Minds... not enough time at all.

Oh well, on the positive side, Bell Media owned radio stations will play less Drake songs to fill their cancon requirements.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 01-13-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Bell's CTV attempted to build some buzz around a canadian-wide music-competition event, inspired from the success on TVA's Star Académie, which was a hybrid song-competition with Big Brother. CTV should have used the almost-empty primetime sunday night slot in alternance with the Awards shows, and use the 7:30pm slot for daily 30-minutes updates instead of their beloved TBBT fillers.
    With the upcoming gaps that CTV has in their primetime schedule, they could easily fill them with bonus features and other content that was cut out of Wednesday’s episode to keep viewers interested. In addition to airing the show on CTV Two and Much, one of these channels could be used for airing daily updates.

Noticed in the premiere,*there was 10 participants, paired in duets meaning 5 songs were performed, but only 3 of them made it on the air. « Two artists, Julia Tomlinson and Alex Zaichkowski (aka Havelin), had their entire auditions cut from the episode (presumably for time), which really really sucks for them. »
    http://blog.fagstein.com/2018/01/12/review-the-launch/

As I said, 1-hour format, wednesday 9pm, sandwiched between X-Files and Criminal Minds... not enough time at all.
    You’d think that for something like this, they would commit to more than just one hour a week. And I agree that’s gotta leave a bad taste for some of the acts who got to perform but had to be cut out during the broadcast all because it’s only a weekly one-hour episode.

UPDATE: Presumably what did not make it to air can be seen on THE LAUNCH: DIRECTOR’S CUT, an extended version of the weekly episodes airing on CTV. Of course, those episodes start streaming on CraveTV immediately following the broadcast.

I think Bell should have taken the same approach like they did with Big Brother Canada (first debuted on Slice then moved to Global) by airing it first on one of their specialty channels like Much (there’s so much filler in their primetime schedule nowadays) followed by weekly encores on CTV. If the show did well enough to get picked up for another season, and there were a variety of factors and incentives that would justify airing it on a broadcast network, then it would move to CTV.
    Last edited by lostjon; 01-13-2018 at 12:50 PM.

The winning song is still number 3 on itunes right now which isn't bad considering usually those number one follow the broadcast and then disappear the next day or so. I would have done it, start it, in the summer, where there isn't any other ones on the air on the big networks. Excluding America's Got Talent as it is not mainly music. Then bring it back midseason if it succeeds. And then they could have done the 2 hours broadcast by simply not showing some repeats.

If they wanted the signing competition back they could have done The Voice, which works extremely well in Quebec, with The Voice Jr doing almost as well and have Fall and Winter covered. But obviously they are trying their own thing for a few reasons. First they save on buying the rights to those existing format, those format may be more expansive to produce than the intimate version they do with The Launch, but biggest reason is if it works, they get the royalties from foreign versions if it catches up.

Unfortunately launching it like they did, and apparently with not that great ratings, won't make international market 'Crave' for it (pun intended).

But maybe it will catch on if the winning songs are actually good enough to be liked by people and they find out it's from The Launch, they may start watching. But 6 weeks is very short time to wait for people to come in. We'll see...

I watched The Launch as VOD on the CTV website (since no internet upload pirates bothered with it), and had the same feelings about it as you guys did. I'm tired of the singing/ karaoke competitions, but I do wish Shakira would return to The Voice (I skipped almost the entire season, even the finale), or some other TV series. I'm told that her hips don't lie.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

They had a very hard time spinning this into positives...It was number 1 with key demos. That basically means they were number that they want us to think were the demos they were looking for that were number 1. But they don't even give the numbers and they demos they are talking about. Talk about saying nothing in so many words.

Not a single actual numbers in the TV viewing of it. Only numbers in things people can't really compare to anything else. It also means they lost in viewers as they did not mention those at all. With all the radios Bell owns who had no choice to play the song or not, who knows how big it was or wasn't.

Anyway. I am pretty sure they will renew the show as they put a lot of marketing dollars in it and on the show itself. But beyond the almost obligatory second season, I don't see this going further.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    They had a very hard time spinning this into positives...It was number 1 with key demos.
    The numbers, unverifiables, combine the super-simulcast with Much and french-language broadcasters VRAK & Vie which never score a Top-30 show. On Bell Media's website, there's no similar press release in french-language praising the audience numbers, which is revealing enough.

I removed all Astral / Bell Media owned radio stations from my radio receiver (press 1 to 5) since the takeover, so unless Cogeco-owned radio stations decide to air the "number 1 on iTunes" song that came from the first show, I wouldn't even recognize it.