Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Corus Entertainment Specialty - NEWS and SCHEDULES - 2018-19

I think this would mark a good time to start a new thread as the existing one is from 2017, starting to get long and with the new TV season looming in just a few short weeks, news and schedules for the specialty channels will be released. Just to keep things updated. If we could have this thread pinned, that would be great.

Lifetime has the 4th and final season of UnREAL starting Sunday September 9th at 10pm.

Wasn't sure they would show it since Lifetime in the States is not and is exclusive to Hulu.

Looks like IFC Canada is becoming a repeat channel of scripted series that were on Corus other channel (mainly Showcase).

Shows like The Path, Channel Zero, Justified, Eyewitness, 12 monkeys...with an "independent" movie here and there.

Where did you find that out.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Where did you find that out.
    I checked the schedule online at zap2it
    http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...128&aid=shawca

W NETWORK BRINGS HALLMARK CHANNEL TO CANADA IN LANDMARK CONTENT DEAL WITH CROWN MEDIA

TORONTO, October 25, 2018 – Corus Entertainment’s W Network and Crown Media Family Network’s Hallmark Channel announced today an exclusive multi-year, multi-platform channel partnership that brings the United States’ most iconic family-friendly entertainment brand, along with its beloved content, to Canada for the first time ever. Beginning November 1, 2018, Canadians will experience W Network, the country’s #1 channel for W25-54*, in a whole new way, with the launch of Hallmark Channel and its highly popular original movies, which will air in conjunction with seasonal programming franchises and branded weekend movie blocks. The partnership grants W Network exclusive Canadian licensing rights to all movies and scripted series produced by Crown for Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
    (...)
    Hallmark Channel’s launch on W coincides with the kick-off of the U.S. cable network’s annual two-month “Countdown to Christmas” event, allowing Canadians to celebrate the season with the channel’s signature holiday movies, including a selection of brand new 2018 titles that will make their Canadian debuts in conjunction with the U.S. world premieres.

https://www.corusent.com/news/w-netw...h-crown-media/

It was about damn time ! But I find it weird to read « Hallmark Channel launches on W », when you might expect Corus to rebrand a zombie channel into Hallmark, like they did for Lifetime (was Showcase Diva).
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

It was about damn time ! But I find it weird to read « Hallmark Channel launches on W », when you might expect Corus to rebrand a zombie channel into Hallmark, like they did for Lifetime (was Showcase Diva).
    I agree, its great to FINALLY see Hallmark Channel programming in Canada however I also don't understand why they aren't re-branding one of their weaker specialty channels (there are many to choose from) instead of airing Hallmark programming bocks on W Network?! Granted W Network is their flagship channel and has widespread distribution but the Hallmark brand IMO is strong enough to be able to survive on its own. IMO the Hallmark programming doesn't really fit on W as Hallmark skews towards an older demographic while W Network skews towards a younger demo. Perhaps this is a test to see how things go and if these programming blocks do well they might launch a full Hallmark branded channel later on?! At the very least, they should launch a Canadian version of Hallmark Movies & Mysteries- I think it might do better then some of their existing specialties.

As far as programming goes, Super Channel currently has the rights to 2 of the 3 original series (When Calls the Heart & Chesapeake Shores) that Hallmark currently airs. I wonder if those will remain on Super Channel or if W Network will simply start airing older seasons of these shows?! This is going to be a huge blow to Super Channel and the Heart & Home channel they recently launched which airs content from Hallmark Channel.

It makes me wonder if they would rebrand Deja View, MovieTime or H2 into Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. I guess its fitting why they chose W is in account of them already broadcasting Lifetime however if they would have had enough sense they'd of turned W into Lifetime as most providers have the east and West feed of W Network and the former Showcase Diva into Hallmark. I wonder what they will come up with next Lifetime Movies. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

It is a bit confusing as Superchannel as a page for those Christmas movies, still there.
    https://www.superchannel.ca/christmas

Superchannel just started in the Spring their Hearts & Home channel.

Really unsure what happened here but Superchannel may just have purchased a bunch of movies and series rather than a full brand content deal. That is probably why they did not use the actual Hallmark name but Hearts and Home. Those movies can be made for other channel I guess than Hallmark.

- Corus 2018 : SuperChannel is rebranding a channel targetting a Hallmark-friendly brand. Let's lower their programming value and sign an exclusive deal.
    - Bell 2017 : Channel Zero's BloombergTV ain't up to par. Let's revamp our existing BNN !
    - Bell 2017 : Rogers Media's Viceland TV ratings are awful ! Let's grab it !
    - Bell 2016 : We need our own food channel. Let's take over Knight's Gusto TV !
    - Bell 2016 : SuperChannel has operational problems and doesn't have an online platform, let's not allow them to offer any other Showtime original, make it exclusive TMN/CraveTV.
    - Corus 2014 : Now that Astral no longer holds rights to the Disney brand and an independent (DHX) is running it but can't afford it, let's outbid them !

...and so on...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."