Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Threaded View

Icon3 Jeopardy! Airs at different times, but the Internet is often the earliest source

Now that King James (not Lebron James), James Holzhauer, is winning and winning, I started watching Jeopardy again.

It airs at different times throughout the world, but as far as I can tell, it still generally pops up first online, somewhere between 8:30pm and 12:30am the day before it airs on regular TV. When it doesn't, I assume the group that's responsible for uploading it, simply was too busy, and thus uploads it later on (often after the regular TV airing unfortunately).

In the USA, the 2nd-earliest time of the day that Jeopardy apparently airs on regular TV is 10:30 am EST (the article linked below seems to mention the local start times) in Montgomery-Selma, Alabama. It's the first airing in the USA of the new episode, but the 1:37 am EST airing in Lafayette, Louisiana is certainly the episode from the previous evening, rather than the new one. Chicago's ABC affiliate, WLS, airs Jeopardy at 4:30 pm EST, and that one is definitely the new episode.

Although yesterday's (Tuesday May 28th) Jeopardy episode was not leaked online early (so I had to wait until 7:30 pm to watch it in Toronto), the Wednesday May 29th episode popped up around 9:30 pm Tuesday night, so I of course watched it (although I won't say what happened, you might be able to read between the lines, so perhaps you should wait until you watch tonight's episode before you continue reading below the line).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though the Jeopardy studio audience isn't asked to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure agreement), they seem to be willing to keep things quiet for now (most likely because James hasn't lost yet, or has he?), but when Ken Jennings lost in 2004, it was leaked shortly after the taping. The early-bird episode uploads are most likely sourced via Satellite backhauls/wild feeds mostly used by foreign countries like Canada, to record and then later add in their own TV logos and commercials.

So, if you've been watching Jeopardy lately with somebody who seems to be answering more questions correctly than he/she normally does, perhaps that somebody has been cheating via the early-bird internet uploads. Consider yourself warned.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...503-story.html
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-29-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Confirmed that 10:30 am EST is first airing on US TV (Alabama)
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.