Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Comedy Gold, Cosmo TV & IFC to shut down

According to a post on the Shaw support site, Cosmo TV & IFC Canada will cease operations on September 30.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-20257

Also, Telus has posted on their website that they will be removing Comedy Gold from their lineup on August 30. Its unclear if the channel is shutting down or if it will no longer be available on Telus?! The message is worded the same way as the notice for Cosmo & IFC shutting down- "Due to content provider changes", which indicates to me that Bell will be shutting this channel down.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/...amming_updates

Yes it has been confirmed to me by Videotron that Comedy Gold will cease operations as well as these other 2.

Just a reminder, Comedy Gold was sold to Wow Unlimited Media, who planned to take over the licence as a kids channel. See the other thread about it. No indication on whether Wow is gonna launch it, but when the contract is up and the programming sucks...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Just a reminder, Comedy Gold was sold to Wow Unlimited Media, who planned to take over the licence as a kids channel. See the other thread about it. No indication on whether Wow is gonna launch it, but when the contract is up and the programming sucks...
    I think the fact Bell has decided to shut down Comedy Gold indicates that the deal has fallen through and WOW Unlimited is not taking over this channel.

I am surprised that Movietime isn't shutting down as well, Corus has slowly gotten out of the movie channel business- IFC & Movietime are the only 2 movie channels left in their roster. Interesting to see Bell shutting down a channel, now that they have taken this step, they should continue and shut down their other weak channels- BookTelevision & Fashion Television are pretty much running on auto pilot these days.

Seeing as neither of those two seem to be offered in HD and that you could easily fold Book and Fashion content into the upcoming CTV Drama and CTV Life. I believe their days are numbered as well.
    LOSat

Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    Seeing as neither of those two seem to be offered in HD and that you could easily fold Book and Fashion content into the upcoming CTV Drama and CTV Life. I believe their days are numbered as well.
    Or how about folding Deja View. Its complete Trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    I checked DejaView's schedule, then immediately checked CMT's schedule... same show selections, with a few exceptions!

As I repeated in another thread, we receive many classic channels for free over the air from the US (MeTV, Antenna, Cozi, etc.) with a good mix of content (but some channels unfortunately lost some content due to studios), but in Canada, we PAY for classic TV, DejaView and Comedy Gold, and their respective owner did not deliver, nor did they seem interested investing in acquisitions from the vast library of content since the 1950s.
    Anyways, Dejaview's contract with the distributors and CRTC licence will expire someday, it's a goner.

Financial data from the CRTC, CosmoTV had... wait, what? 2,5 million subscribers by the end of 2018 (?), their revenues are down year after year, and following expenses, they still managed to make a million bucks in profits.
    As for IFC, it was widely distributed, fell under the million subscribers in 2018, same revenues as CosmoTV but fewer expenses, and manages to make 2 million bucks in profits.

Interesting, CMT still have 5,6 million subscribers in 2018 due to its "analog cable" origins, but lost half-a-million bucks. Is Corus keeping it around just in case a music company is interested in buying the licence and actually restore country related content on the channel?
    Last edited by InMontreal; 08-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

The only reason these channels have subscribers is because they are bundled in small or large packages. If they relied only on people actually picking them, they would be down to thousands, not millions.

There are still several channels that Corus could get rid of and likely will but it seems they are making changes slowly and spreading things out. The following should all be on the chopping block IMO:

CMT (dumping ground for old sitcoms, only similarity with CMT USA is the name)
    Crime + Investigation (nothing original, just re-airs shows from Global, Showcase, A&E & National Geographic)
    Dejaview (reruns the same 3 or 4 shows over and over again)
    FYI
    H2 (its no longer mentioned on the Hisory website nor is there schedule info for it)
    Movietime (last remaining movie channel, its probably next to go)

I think Corus is destroying too many specialty Channels.

I think Corus is destroying too many specialty Channels.
    They are doing the same thing Bell is- modernizing them (aka turning them into 'specialized' mainstream channels that only loosely adhere to the niche they were licensed for) and making them 'specialty' channels in name only. Showcase now airs repeats from Global (likewise Bravo who airs series from CTV) with only a few original series that are specific to that channel. W Network has resorted to airing content from The CW (an OTA network)- is there no compelling content from any specialty service in the USA or around the world for them to acquire, they have to air OTA content?!

As for destroying channels, yes they have ruined many channels IMO and the one that irks me the most is Teletoon Retro. This channel was good when Astral owned it then when Corus took over it slowly turned to crap.

Zap2It has listings for Comedy Gold until Aug 31 at 6am, while the channel's official website has listings until Sept 1st at 6am (and doesn't even acknowledge its own shutdown).
    Oh well, buh bye !

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon is on the chopping block. I'm pretty sure most 1st run content airs on YTV. Nickelodeon is just reruns from what I can see. Plus Nickelodeon is selling a streaming package direct via Amazon Prime.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney Channel, Disney Jr and Disney XD get axed if Disney+ takes off in Canada which I'd imagine it will.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon is on the chopping block. I'm pretty sure most 1st run content airs on YTV. Nickelodeon is just reruns from what I can see. Plus Nickelodeon is selling a streaming package direct via Amazon Prime.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney Channel, Disney Jr and Disney XD get axed if Disney+ takes off in Canada which I'd imagine it will.
    Why would the TV channels shut down when Disney+ launches- they are 2 separate businesses?! It all depends on who has the streaming rights to the original content that airs on the various Disney channels- Disney or Corus?! I doubt highly that ALL current subscribers/viewers of the various Disney channels are going to cancel their TV subscription and sign up with Disney+. Streaming TV is getting more and more expensive now that most content providers are launching their own services and keeping their original content exclusive to their own service. Aside from Disney+, you also have the following services lauching soon in the USA:

HBO Max (WarnerMedia)
    Unnamed Discovery/BBC service
    NBCUniversal service
    Apple TV+

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Disney Channel/Junior/XD have presence in many, many countries, either owned directly or as a franchise, and it's lucrative $$$. Parents just subscribe to the "kids package"/"à la carte" which include the Disney suite, and will have no problem to bring it on the road by subscribing to Disney+, where parents can also find non-kids shows.

To throw a wrench in the Comedy Gold shutdown debate... this article from Cartt, which was just published on August 29 states that Wow will take over Comedy Gold On August 30. No mention of it shutting down. https://cartt.ca/article/wow-unlimit...-revenue-grows

From the article:

The company also noted in the Q2 release that it will take ownership of Bell Media’s Comedy Gold as of Friday, August 30th. It acquired the channel in 2018 for $6.87 million. Bell is a minority partner in Wow, too. While the company had originally stated it wanted to launch a new kids focused channel, it’s not clear at this time what Wow intends to do with it.
    “Management is exploring strategic partnerships to structure a financially attractive business plan for a potential WOW!-branded linear channel,” reads the company’s Wednesday afternoon Q2 press release.

This info is from the Wow press release on the same day stating it will take ownership. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wow-u...224541351.html

Networks & Platforms

• On August 30, 2019, WOW! will officially own the Category B Canadian specialty service license acquired under an agreement with its strategic investor, Bell Media. Management is exploring strategic partnerships to structure a financially attractive business plan for a potential WOW!-branded linear channel

So can anyone actually confirm the channel has shut down? If so, what could be with this confusion?

Something I'm not understanding... Any company who wants to launch a linear specialty TV with less than 200k subscribers only requires a catalog, a broadcasting partner (Ch Zero, Stornoway, etc.) or their own facilities, and a cable company for distribution. Above 200k subscribers, they need a CRTC licence. Wow paid $6.87 million to Bell for Comedy Gold, a zombie channel already present by the main distributors (Rogers, Bell, Shaw, Vidéotron, Cogeco, Telus), and they let it shut down, removed from the lineups...

Overall, if Wow comes up in the coming months with a channel name and a launch date, they'll have to do the heavy lifting job to approach Robelustron and negociate and... I don't expect majority enthusiasm nowadays. So, what was the $6.87 million expense for, when the could start from scratch?

It would be a big surpirse to me if this "new" channel ever launches. Nobody launches new channels now, they rebrand what they have. They should have had a lauch on Aug 31st, keeping it on the air like you said, now too late. Never going to happen I think.

If they really shut this thing down completely, then that is absurd. They practically just bought a Cat B licence which is worthless. The value is in the distribution agreements that already exist. If the channel goes off the air, then what do you have? Nothing.

They might have gotten Bell to take over the master control, ad sales, and other things of that nature.... but is all that worth $6.87 million? Probably not.

And from the wording of the press release... it sounds as if the possibility of any channel is still up in the air.

What is this company thinking? It basically sounds like from this point that they paid Bell $6.87 million to become an investor in their company. Yeah, that sounds logical?!

There must be something more to this deal then what can be seen from the public's eye. Is it possible that the distribution agreements are still valid for a certain period of time, and if Wow decides to launch before it expires, the distributors have to pick it up as if the channel didn't shut down previously? That to me is the only remote way I can think that this deal makes sense, despite how far of a stretch it is.