Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Forums Shutdown

Forums Shutdown

As per the announcement posted at the top of the page, Randi and I have made the difficult decision to shut down the Channel Canada discussion forums. Unfortunately, activity on the forums has declined significantly in recent years and it is no longer worth it to continue to operate them. I wanted to thank all the members past and present who made this community a great place to be a part of. My journey with Channel Canada began here- as a lowly forum member, while there were ups and downs (with some discussions becoming quite heated at times), overall it was a great place to get together with others who shared a common interest in the media industry as well as just talking about our favourite TV series. I would especially like to thank the regulars (InMontreal, Lostjon, mtlguy, PokerFace, Donovan's Monkey, bigoranget, musimax, Test Pattern and LOSat) who stuck with the forums to the very end and have continued posting off and on, providing the boards with some activity.

I would like to let everyone know that the threads that I have been posting regular updates to, will continue and are in the process of being migrated to the main site. They include:

US Specialty TV Series Directory
    US Networks Programming Directories (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and The CW)
    Sports Schedules

TV on DVD lists (These are also currently available on Home Theater Forum and will continue to be updated there)
    Bell TV / Shaw Direct Missing Channel Comparison (I would be willing to continue to maintain this list on the main site, if there is enough interest)

Thanks again to everyone who visited the Channel Canada Forums over the years and to those who became members and took part in discussions. We hope you will visit Channelcanada.com and continue to support our efforts to become the go-to site for Canadian TV and media news!

Sad to see it go, but most forums activities went down as social medias got more adopted. It was only a matter of time for this one to fade into sunset. The lack of interest into the 2020-2021 Upfronts was a pre-sign leading to this announcement.

1) When are we saying goodbye?
    2) Is the whole forum gonna be locked from writing, leaving accessible archives for a while, or will it be wiped into a blackhole to never be seen again?

Thanks to our admins, moderators, those who reported informations, those who published weekly scheduled per network, weekly canadian TV ratings, cable/satellite channel numbering from the past, commented on the new shows, launched debatable subjects, took time to explain how the industry works, made us laugh, shared their own playlist, and yes, even you the "does anyone know if...?" guy.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Sad to see the forums go. I always enjoyed checking out the posts. Already have you on my Facebook!

Sad to see it go, but most forums activities went down as social medias got more adopted. It was only a matter of time for this one to fade into sunset. The lack of interest into the 2020-2021 Upfronts was a pre-sign leading to this announcement.
    Thanks for the comments and for your contributions to the boards over the years.

I am not really into the social media stuff, I am old school and enjoy these old style message boards but unfortunately times change and in instances like this you forced to change with them.

Regarding the upfronts for this year, technically there weren't any as the pandemic has thrown everything into dissaray. I believe in years past they were usually mid-May so they probably would have taken place last week?! I have been monitoring US sites and most networks will only have 2 or 3 new series debuting- IF they are able to get anything filmed by then. Usually they have pilots filmed so the execs can go through and make decisions on what shows to pick up for the fall but this year that never happened so I think they made their decisions based on the premise of the show and any scripts that have been written. The CW will not be launching any of their shows (new and returning) until January 2021, their fall schedule will consist of acquisitions and reruns. Its going to be a weird Fall launch, I will be unveiling the fall preview section on the site soon- still waiting on NBC to report their fall preview info.

1) When are we saying goodbye?
    2) Is the whole forum gonna be locked from writing, leaving accessible archives for a while, or will it be wiped into a blackhole to never be seen again?
    I am not sure when the forums will be shut down, Randi can answer that for you as he is the one that handles the technical side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by mcelotto View Post
    Sad to see the forums go. I always enjoyed checking out the posts. Already have you on my Facebook!
    Thanks for the comments.

Channel Canada Forums has sadly been cancelled.

Not sure when the final episode will air, but I hope my PVR successfully records it. It's been rumoured that the final episode will include hidden-camera footage of TVViewer's 2013 failed attempt at buying Channel Canada, InMontreal's sudden move to Calgary (where he opens a Calgary-Stampede-themed restaurant ... Gary's Horse Meat Corral), and a melodramatic subplot featuring Donovan's monkey (Marcel) recovering from an extreme case of Covid-19.

I rarely care about cancellations, but this one hits close to the heart.

Channel Canada itself is not dead, and the fond memories of past forum posts/threads will keep me smiling for many years to come.

Channel Canada is changing the channel, but not the tune. Many of the familiar voices will soon vanish, but those that remain will surely continue to build from past strength.

#Channelling Hope
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I sorry to see the forum go WTF Randi
    Last edited by oggie; Yesterday at 04:47 PM.

Sorry to see this end as well. I understand that there were not many of us left and like you mentioned people are now going to differnt type of social media.

I also like these type of forum, like back in the day where this was my Canadian forum and the very popular Zap2it forum for the US network. That one left too early and nerver knew where all those people went.

I will keep an eye on the main site and happy to see those US Specialty updates will live on :)

Thanks Randi and CDN Viewer and everyone else who posted here.

PS: oggie, really, just why and WTF?? Anyway, it's not a real forum if there isn't a troll somewhere in all treads I guess...LOL

Goodbye guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    PS: oggie, really, just why and WTF?? Anyway, it's not a real forum if there isn't a troll somewhere in all treads I guess...LOL
    Yeah, WTF? Oh, wait, guys, what if, in a twisted cliffhanger, oggie was TVViewer in disguise all this time? Writers had that scenario ready for the series finale, but it hasn't been filmed due to covid-19...
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

I am sorry to see the forums will shut down. Even if there was less traffic of late it was good to have an alternate forum to participate in.
    lol InMontreal and mtlguy. I must admit I had the same thought.
    LOSat

Coming soon to Animal Planet Canada ... APC Cage Match 2020: oggie's doggie vs. Donovan's Monkey ... Man's best friend meets Channel Canada's best monkey!

#Caged Fury
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

i did'nt mean it that way i am sorry to see the forum close but like randi said not much updates