Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Icon14 FOX website has early VOD content before it airs on broadcast TV

No need for me to wait for the Fox TV series broadcasts to air (even though I have a great FOX OTA antenna signal) because they always seem to be made available as VOD at least an hour before the regular broadcast ends, via the fox.com website (for US viewers, but with some ads -- once block and refresh page to keep them short and limited).

I only realized it when I noticed that the pirates were uploading web versions of The Masked Singer (etc.) a few minutes before or after its 8pm start time. I suppose some or all of the FOX TV series content might be available as VOD even earlier, but I usually don't check the Network websites until after the shows I watch air on broadcast TV.

CraveTV often airs early-bird content, but since it's a paid service, it's merely a way to perhaps keep its subscriber base a little happier.

It would be nice if all the Networks had the same early-bird VOD policy as FOX, but as we all know, a bird in the hand is still better than the two Bush presidents (or something like that).

#Sophia Bush is a foxy bird
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I noticed that Fox is releasing the Live content as VOD as soon as the shows begin to air. This way, those not able to watch the live stream (no Fox affiliate), can instead choose the VOD and start from the beginning (but you don't have the ability to jump beyond the point of the Live broadcast). Once the show finishes airing, I assume that's when the VOD becomes capable of allowing FF to any point of the show. There's also a brief viewing time limit (for several minutes ... but less than 10 min) if you don't subscribe to FOX via a US Cable/Satellite/online service.

However, FOX doesn't seem to care that the VOD can be downloaded with software/apps in minutes, and then you have the whole show to watch without commercials and full FF/RW capability. I don't watch 9-1-1 Lone Star which is on now, but if I did, it's already available for streaming/download via the pirate seas.

#Piracy for the win

Showtime often puts up its content a day early as VOD on its website, which explains why shows like Homeland are available to stream/download before the Showtime Live TV broadcast. Pirates can't resist early-bird premium content.

I assume Fox is testing out this new normal to see if it improves the ratings. However, if the pirate uploads reduce the ratings, these early VOD uploads by FOX would have to be stopped. If a fuss is made by Fox, the pirates might then decide to wait until AFTER the shows finish airing, before the pirate uploads begin (which is how things are generally done, even if the content was obtained earlier via Satellite backhauls -- the recent exception being Jeopardy from time to time).