Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Water Channel launched

Not much info on this channel, but it launched on July 16 on Shaw Direct. It's owned by Wild TV Inc, same owner behind Wild TV, Cowboy Channel Canada, and RFD-TV Canada. It describes itself as "The WATER Television Network is a new channel dedicated explicitly to water sport enthusiasts. Pristine lakes, beautiful beaches, smashing waves, grand ocean, and mighty rivers make WATER a paradise for anyone who loves getting out on the water. WATER will offer a full range of sailboating adventures, scuba diving, fresh and saltwater angling, kayaking, camping, and more."

https://thewaterchannel.ca/

It could be interesting, but I would probably launch a outdoor adventure channel that focuses on all kinds of extreme sports and adventure/travel series rather than one focusing solely on water programming. But something new and different, especially from an independent is always welcomed.

Shark week coming up next, on The Water Channel?
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Not sure how these guys, owners of all these channels, wgile others are shutting them down and having less and less usbscribers and revenue.

Their channels are very specific, niche channels. How many people are going to subsribe to this channel and make it profitable to their owners...Money laundring maybe ;P

Bell and Corus reached the point where they bought all strategic broadcasters from the 500 channels universe era (and dumbed them down to 2-3 shows in cycle), sits on enough catalog for exclusive canadian rights against OTT services... Here we are where corona stopped production on everything scripted, realityTV and game shows, Bell & Corus are struggling finding content for their linear channels (TBBT on Discovery? Why not!) while the Netflix / AppleTV+ / Amazon Prime subscribers sees more titles their brain can handle in a lifetime.

I'm not sure either how is could be profitable for an independent broadcaster to launch a new niche linear channel in this day and age. I just browsed their "Programs" page, it looks like a lot of ideal shows for OLN (Outdoor Life Network). Say what, Rogers? What's on OLN right now? Fail Army, Storage Wars, Impractical Jokers... and that's about it. Speaking of OLN, that channel in 2019 still counts 3.84 million subscribers and generates $5 million in advertisement revenues + subscription revenues = made $15.3 million total, spent $1.9 million in programming, generates $13.4 million in profits. I'm sure owners of Water Channel would have dream of taking over a channel with 4 million remaining subscribers rather than start from scratch, but it would have been a Wow Media - Comedy Gold scenario do-over.

The content must be so cheap that they think they can make a profit off it. When you've already got the infrastructure in place with admin, HR, marketing, etc., launching a cheap channel could work. It also somewhat aligns with Wild TV, I'm sure they'll have some fishing shows that they could send over to Water TV.

There was actually a similar US channel that existed from 2006 - 2009, but closed. Key word there being closed, so it's not promising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Channel

Again, why not launch a similar channel to Outside TV in the US. That will at least give you the opportunity to broaden the scope of programming so it's not just water-related. But, I guess Water will be unique and a possible easier sell if they want to go international with it like they've done with Wild TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_TV

Oh, I have a tagline for them : "Watch the Water Channel, not Rogers' watered-down channel". Nah, needs work...