Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but DejaView and IFC is also in HD in Optik TV.

But I find it funny that, for a company who is supposedly going to dramatically trim its channel count down to about 17, they are launching a bunch of HD channels for some reason, especially those that would be prime suspects to be cut... DejaView, BBC Canada, IFC.

Wow, there is one out of left field?! Why would they launch an HD feed of Dejaview which airs the same old episodes of the same old shows? The only thing I can think of is if a re-brand is coming soon for this channel.

Updated list,

GameTV HD, One HD & Vision TV HD have recently launched.

This leaves 3 specialty channels of significance that have yet to launch in HD:

BBC Kids
    Makeful
    MTV2 Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Pretty sure Makeful is in HD on Eastlink.
    It is available on Eastlink

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    It is available on Eastlink
    So it is, however there is an error on Eastlink's website which led me to believe that its only available in SD. In the Channel Guides section, its listed under the 'Food and Living' theme pack but they only list an SD channel number. In the channels section, where they list all the channels available as pick n' pay, it is listed as being available in HD.

So this leaves BBC Kids & MTV2 as the only channels not available in HD yet. You could also add Book Television & Fashion Television to the list but both of those channels have seemingly been abandoned are should be shut down IMO. I wonder why BBC Kids has not launched an HD feed yet, its owned by the BC government so they have the money to spend to upgrade the signal.

To my knowledge, I don't think any of the following channels have launched yet in HD - perhaps someone can please confirm.

Vintage TV Canada - available only on Shaw Direct and Shaw Cablesystems

Stingray Juicebox
    Stingray Loud
    Stringray Retro - in this case, HD would only be suitable for videos that were filmed from the early 2000s and later, less so from previous decades
    Stringray Vibe

Last edited by lostjon; 04-06-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    So this leaves BBC Kids & MTV2 as the only channels not available in HD yet. You could also add Book Television & Fashion Television to the list but both of those channels have seemingly been abandoned are should be shut down IMO. I wonder why BBC Kids has not launched an HD feed yet, its owned by the BC government so they have the money to spend to upgrade the signal.

I don't think Comedy Gold has an HD feed either and like some of the aforementioned channels, should be shut down.

Bell should cut their losses and either sell off or shut down MTV2, as I don't expect them to launch an HD feed anytime soon, nor why should they at this point? From what I've seen, their lineup is a combination of outdated CanCon (i.e. The L.A. Complex, Comedy Now!, MTV Cribs, MTV Creeps, Campus PD) cancelled MTV scripted shows (i.e. Awkward, Faking It, Eye Candy, Friendzone) and original current productions from elsewhere outside the U.S (the latter of which I think should move to MTV Canada in place of the outdated and repurposed shows currently flooding their schedule). Why bother continuing to air a show that was already cancelled by MTV? No one's even watching. Especially if it's on MTV2.

Even MTV Canada (which launched originally as talktv) has little to offer in terms of original and acquired programming - nothing but reality shows. And they don't even carry all the shows that are airing on MTV in the U.S.
    In comparing both MTV's current lineups for both Canada and the U.S., they are airing the following reality shows at the same time: Teen Mom, The Challenge, Stranded with a Million Dollars, Catfish: The TV Show, Are You the One? and Ridiculousness.
    One show from MTV that's been seriously missing from Canadian airwaves is Nick Cannon's Wild 'N Out (a sketch comedy/improv series) - the last time it aired here in Canada was way back when they used to have the MTV on CTV block in the mid-2000s. The show ended its run after four seasons in 2007. It then came back in 2013 on MTV2 in the U.S. then moved over to MTV last year. Since its return, it has never been picked up by anyone in Canada - not even Much or the two MTV channels. And that's probably the only show from MTV I would actually watch. Go figure.

Overall, the MTV brand has been diluted as of late. Music videos are only played now during commercial breaks and both MTV and MTV2 in the U.S. have resorted to endless marathons of reruns for acquired primetime shows which have already been on other Viacom-owned channels including BET, Nickelodeon (Nick at Nite) and TV Land. Realizing that they've lost their key audience, they're looking to bring back some of their classic music staples such as Unplugged along with new music-related shows.
    Last edited by lostjon; 04-09-2017 at 08:18 PM.

updated list,

Salt + Light Television will launch in HD as of June 4.

Please update list:

3 new channels available with Videotron. Exclusive for now I think.

Hustler TV HD launched on June 7th (Canadian channel)
    Sky News HD launched on May 31st (from London, England)
    Saisons HD launched today June 15th (Fishing and hunting channel from France, in French)
    Last edited by mtlguy; 06-15-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks for the updates.

Hustler TV is available on Bell Fibe & Rogers, while Saisons is available on Bell Fibe & Cogeco.

Also, the list is for Canadian channels not foreign ones.