Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    WOWtv is in HD. It's a Canadian Chinese language channel. It's on Rogers.

Wild TV HD has launched and is available on SaskTel.

A small indie broadcaster has launched an HD version of their channel, meanwhile conglomerate CTVcrapmedia cannot be bothered to launch any HD simulcasts of their channels- PATHETIC!!

Every Canadian news channel has launched an HD simulcast except for CTV News Channel, guess that shows how much they care about HD?! Also, where is Comedy Network HD & Space HD??
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 01-30-2010 at 06:03 PM.

I'm surprised there was any actual HD content on Wild TV to warrent an HD channel. What's next, WFN the next channel to go HD here? Maybe that's what's going to have to happen, since the bigger guys are going pretty slowly.

I've given up on Canadian networks going HD. I can't believe CTVgm has not launched Comedy, MTV, Much, Space, Bravo! in HD yet. There is plenty of HD content available for all of these channels. THere just isn't any excuse anymore. I bet fall 2010 will roll around and most IF NOT ALL of these channels will STILL BE SD.

What's next, WFN the next channel to go HD here?
    Actually WFN HD has launched in the US on various providers. It's available through several providers, who knew an all-fishing channel would be so popular?!

As for CTVgm, they should at the very least have launched CTV News Channel HD and Space HD. Perhaps there is not sufficient HD content on any of their channels to warrant launching an HD version?! If that's the case then its understandable, I would not launch an HD-simulcast until at least 50% of the content they air is available in HD otherwise what's the point?!
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 01-31-2010 at 10:24 PM.

I think the broadcasters here are stalling with HD transition for cable channels for little more than a general lack of competition, face it, the more popular specialties are owned by two corporations who generally don't compete genre wise so there isn't a huge incentive to upgrade quickly.

In the US ALL major cable channels are now broadcasting in HD, all new materials they create are done in HD. There is plenty of content for the Canadian specialties to air in HD, but again there isn't much incentive for them to make the switch.

So unless consumers make the switch to US BDUs in frustration over lack of HD content or more competition is allowed between genres we can continue to see a very slow transition on cable to HD broadcasting. One method that would work is for the CRTC to put out a general call for new HD licenses that cross over SD licenses, you'd see them making the switch quickly then :)

How about money as an incentive to upgrade? Sure it may cost money to launch an HD feed, but you gotta spend money to make it.

The HD channels that use a seperate CRTC licence like Discovery HD, Oasis HD and Treasure HD all make a profit, especially Discovery HD, which makes a very healthy profit. I don't know about the HD channels that are a simulcast of an SD channel like The Score HD or CBC News Network HD because CRTC financial reports doesn't include seperate stats for those, but I can only assume it is somewhat similar. Generally there is not much competition between many of these channels, but there still is money to be made off them, so why not do it for that reason. Especially when you know that most likely you are going to do it anyways, so why not start now when you can most likely make a profit now.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    How about money as an incentive to upgrade? Sure it may cost money to launch an HD feed, but you gotta spend money to make it.

The HD channels that use a seperate CRTC licence like Discovery HD, Oasis HD and Treasure HD all make a profit, especially Discovery HD, which makes a very healthy profit. I don't know about the HD channels that are a simulcast of an SD channel like The Score HD or CBC News Network HD because CRTC financial reports doesn't include seperate stats for those, but I can only assume it is somewhat similar. Generally there is not much competition between many of these channels, but there still is money to be made off them, so why not do it for that reason. Especially when you know that most likely you are going to do it anyways, so why not start now when you can most likely make a profit now.
    That's the thing, the incentive is to create a NEW service rather than setup a simulcast of the SD service since essentially they won't recoup any extra income from the HD version. Consumers simply aren't willing to pay two rates for the channels, especially in the current climate where if you want the HD version of something you need the SD version too.

I think a look at the sports genre shows what some competition has done, since essentially TSN, Sportsnet and The Score compete with each other they've all had the incentive to upgrade to HD. But for most of the rest of the cable dial each genre is protected from another, so Space has no incentive to upgrade since they don't have anything to compete against, unless one of the networks decided to do mostly science fiction content all the time. The Comedy Network has no competition, although in their case more HD content has just become available thanks to Comedy Central making the switch, and they were one of the last of the majors to do so in the US.

BTW, Discovery HD in Canada I think pales in comparison to what the US Discovery networks have available, in fact right now Discovery HD Canada is airing content that previously aired on the HiFidelity channels (Oasis, etc.) in Canada. Great Festivals of the World aired there and now Discovery HD Canada is airing them. Keep in mind that in the US they have HD Theater as a separate entity and the main Discovery Channel is now airing SD/HD. Then you also have Animal Planet, The Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, TLC and Planet Green all available in HD. So there is plenty of Discovery programming available in HD for Discovery HD Canada and I feel it is a cop out for them to be re-airing stuff already aired on the HiFidelity channels. Granted those channels have limited availability, but still.

I think the broadcasters here are stalling with HD transition for cable channels for little more than a general lack of competition, face it, the more popular specialties are owned by two corporations who generally don't compete genre wise so there isn't a huge incentive to upgrade quickly.
    Using your logic about them not launching any HD simulcasts due to the lack of competition (not disagreeing with you) then why haven't they launched CTV News Channel HD?? There is plenty of competition in the news genre, CBC has launched an HD simulcast of their service and you also have CNN HD available here and possibly Fox News HD at some point. Quebecor launched LCN HD presumably in response to CBC launching RDI HD so similarly why has CTV not responded to the launch of CBC News Network HD?!

BTW, Discovery HD in Canada I think pales in comparison to what the US Discovery networks have available, in fact right now Discovery HD Canada is airing content that previously aired on the HiFidelity channels (Oasis, etc.) in Canada. Great Festivals of the World aired there and now Discovery HD Canada is airing them. Keep in mind that in the US they have HD Theater as a separate entity and the main Discovery Channel is now airing SD/HD.
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Discovery HD Canada supposed to be the Canadian equivalent to HD Theater which was previously called 'Discovery HD Theater'?! Does HD Theater air original programming or is it just some sort of omnibus channel that airs content from all the various Discovery services?! Discovery Channel Canada has a separate HD channel which has yet to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Using your logic about them not launching any HD simulcasts due to the lack of competition (not disagreeing with you) then why haven't they launched CTV News Channel HD?? There is plenty of competition in the news genre, CBC has launched an HD simulcast of their service and you also have CNN HD available here and possibly Fox News HD at some point. Quebecor launched LCN HD presumably in response to CBC launching RDI HD so similarly why has CTV not responded to the launch of CBC News Network HD?!
    CBC News Channel isn't really all news these days, it airs more documentaries and usually many are re-airs from CBC itself. CTV might be holding off since an upgrade to that would be one of the cheaper upgrades since it could consist of a SD window within a 16:9 info screen. Besides that, they only recently went HD with the CTV News and most of the locals are still only doing SD so they don't have a lot to stick on it.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Discovery HD Canada supposed to be the Canadian equivalent to HD Theater which was previously called 'Discovery HD Theater'?! Does HD Theater air original programming or is it just some sort of omnibus channel that airs content from all the various Discovery services?! Discovery Channel Canada has a separate HD channel which has yet to launch.
    HD Theater used to be the omnibus channel but since they launched their simulcast versions of the main suite it tends to air different material or older stuff from the back catalog. It is quite repetitive though, comparable to the HiFidelity suite here. I always liked HD Theater mind you since it was commercial free and looked really good when you watched the BUD version :)
    Last edited by Tripster; 02-01-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Updated list,

The following channels have expired,

Baby HD
    Crafts & Hobbies HD
    Green Channel HD

Also, add the new french food network- Zeste to the list. It will be launching an HD simulcast in addition to the regular SD version when it launches on Mar. 22. Videotron will be carrying both SD & HD feeds of the channel

By the way, WFN HD has launched but available only in the US.

I don't get the "S" Simulcast identification. APTN HD is different from APTN East and West and got an 'S', while HBO HD is exactly the same as HBO SD but doesn't have an 'S'...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I don't get the "S" Simulcast identification. APTN HD is different from APTN East and West and got an 'S', while HBO HD is exactly the same as HBO SD but doesn't have an 'S'...
    APTN HD is a simulcast of the eastern feed of APTN. HBO HD is a mistake and I have corrected both as well as others I found which were not labeled correctly.

Simulcast means that the programming is the same as what airs on the SD channel except the HD version is in high definition. Under CRTC rules, 95% of the programming on an HD feed must be the same as the SD feed. So basically the same shows show air on both except on the HD feed they are in HD.

APTN HD is a simulcast of the eastern feed of APTN.
    Sorry, but it's no longer a simulcast. Please verify APTN's website:
    http://www.aptn.ca/myAPTN/schedule/index.php

After the olympics, you'll notice the East feed have a totally different lineup than the HD. Also, the East feed has movies at 9pm ET, the HD feed has no movies at all.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Is it possible that APTN HD is a simulcast of their terrestrial feed now? I believe the terrestrial version of APTN is not entirely the same as the cable feed.

You'll want to rename yet-to-launch Scream HD to Dusk HD ;)

Zeste HD and Yoopa HD are launched. Both French.

Zeste HD and Yoopa HD are launched. Both French.
    List has been updated. Added Yoopa & Zeste as well as MovieTime which was in the coming soon section but recently launched.

Rogers TV is now broadcasting in HD in Toronto, not sure about any other Rogers TV channels though, I think many of the channels in larger cities are transitioning. Yes, it's a community channel, but Vox are community channels and it's on the list, so you may want to add it.

Rogers TV is now broadcasting in HD in Toronto, not sure about any other Rogers TV channels though, I think many of the channels in larger cities are transitioning. Yes, it's a community channel, but Vox are community channels and it's on the list, so you may want to add it.
    This list is intended for Specialty channels only, Vox is not as specialty channel and as such should not be on the list. Sorry my mistake, it has been removed.