Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Interesting, I just saw a Space promo spot for Doctor Who on CTV HD Calgary .. and it was in HD. Could Space HD be in the works after all?

Doctor Who is produced in HD, and the spot was using an HD master .. we can only hope :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Interesting, I just saw a Space promo spot for Doctor Who on CTV HD Calgary .. and it was in HD. Could Space HD be in the works after all?

Doctor Who is produced in HD, and the spot was using an HD master .. we can only hope :)
    Don't get your hopes high.

Before the olympics, there was HD promos on CTVHD for MuchMusic's "16 and Pregnant"... but still no MM HD on the dial.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post

It's called torturing DW fans. I keep watching those ads over and over and know I'm just going to make myself cry when I have to watch DW in SD!

But then I picked up all new DW seasons on DVD this past Christmas because they were around $50 so if this new season doesn't come with a close to $100 price tag it'll look much better in my upconverting DVD player on my 37 inch HDTV. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    It's called torturing DW fans. I keep watching those ads over and over and know I'm just going to make myself cry when I have to watch DW in SD!

But then I picked up all new DW seasons on DVD this past Christmas because they were around $50 so if this new season doesn't come with a close to $100 price tag it'll look much better in my upconverting DVD player on my 37 inch HDTV. :D
    Yeah, I was watching it in HD on CBC when they were airing there, but now that they're only on Space I'll just grab them online from other sources .. at least then they look HD like in comparison to the poor quality SD from Space :D

I grab them (newest episodes) from a British bittorrent site in HD (720p) and watch them on my Playstation 3 (the files are PAL). I love my Canadian HD channels (and my OTA US HD channels!), but I'm not waiting for ANYTHING HD if it can be downloaded TODAY! :)

Yeah I use my PS3 the same way, although I tend to just grab the SD (350MB/hour) files encoded from the HD source since they look great on the PS3, and a lot of the 720p files are in .mkv format which the PS3 won't run without conversion.

I have a HTPC I could use for this purpose but just a lot easier to load the files on an external HD from the computer then plug it in to the PS3 and watch.

Actually I'm a few seasons behind on Doctor Who, I had all of them on the PS3 for a while until it got the YLOD and I had to get a new PS3, so some day I'll have to grab them again and catch up.

In the meantime though, watching SGU weekly and working on watching Fringe from the start since I never did watch it on Fox when it first aired.

Updated list!

Bold HD has launched on Rogers- Ch. 548 (according to reports on various forums)
    GolTV Canada HD has apparently launched on Bell TV- Ch. 1404 (no official word yet)

Isn't GolTV just uplinked to Bell yet, it's not a channel you can turn to and watch programs or has that changed since the last time I heard?

Isn't GolTV just uplinked to Bell yet, it's not a channel you can turn to and watch programs or has that changed since the last time I heard?
    It showed up on their online listings service that is on the Bell website which is why I assumed it had launched or was about to?! Maybe it's still in testing mode, still trying to find out more info.
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 06-06-2010 at 03:34 PM.

You're forgetting OMNI 1 And OMNI Two

OMNI.1 & OMNI.2 are not specialty channels.

Looking at the list in this thread saddens me.

Unless you're a sports nut or love movies, or live outside a big city, you have zero reason to buy an HD box.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    Looking at the list in this thread saddens me.

Unless you're a sports nut or love movies, or live outside a big city, you have zero reason to buy an HD box.
    Many nature etc shows are in hd its much then movies and sports.

uhm , so how come commercial's for Much Music on CTV HD is in HD, yet there is no HD channel for Much Music. so CTVgm should consider the following, if they want all of Comedy Central's programing. ( southpark The Daily show Colbert report etc.) they should consider MAYBE spending some of there Billion dollars on a HD simulcast ? .... just a suggestion .
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

CTVgm are not even launching their newest brands in HD; Investigation Discovery and Discovery Science Channel. Both of these channels are HD south of the boarder. That shows right there were CTVgm's priorities are when it comes to HD.

If you think about it, CTVgm hasn't launched an English HD specialty channel since 2003 (Less TSN2-Which I don't really count as it's just an extnesion of TSN).

MusiquePlus and MusiMax are launching in HD on Aug 23.

And, MusiMax has gotten a new logo.

Last edited by Randi; 08-12-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Changed the link to the image for smaller size and removed comment about image size being too big

Quote Originally Posted by numba1killa View Post
    uhm , so how come commercial's for Much Music on CTV HD is in HD, yet there is no HD channel for Much Music. so CTVgm should consider the following, if they want all of Comedy Central's programing. ( southpark The Daily show Colbert report etc.) they should consider MAYBE spending some of there Billion dollars on a HD simulcast ? .... just a suggestion .
    I think it will take the CRTC stepping in to help speed up the incumbents to create HD versions of their SD cable channels. Essentially give them a window of opportunity to make the SD switch and after that time is up then open up new licenses to others for the same genres if the SD broadcasters are dragging their heels. It is in the interest of consumers for this to happen since I'm sure HD set penetration is quite high these days considering you can't really even purchase a SD set other than small portable televisions.

Not saying they'll do that mind you, it isn't like the CRTC caters to the consumer interests now anyway :)

Just be like our household and basically avoid watching any of the SD specialties.

Avoiding SD channels is pretty hard to do considering 90% of them are still SD only.

Why won't Astral launch Family HD. ALL of their french channels are now HD except for Teletoon and Teletoon Retro. It makes no sense at all. An HD version of Family is a no brianer. I just don't get it what the hold up is.

Same with CTV for Much, Comedy and Space. Again this is a no brainer. Almost all of their programming is available in HD. Again, what's the hold up.

Corus and Canwest have many HD licenses that they are sitting on as well.

At least some of the blame should be directed towards the BDU's.

Going HD is expensive, and it's pretty hard for broadcasters to get a return on their investment when they can't even get all the major BDU's to carry the HD channels. Bell TV for example doesn't carry History Television HD, despite the fact that History Television has been broadcasting in HD for almost a year and is a top 5 most watched specialty channel in every key demographic. They also don't carry MovieTime HD, despite the fact that MovieTime is a top 10 digital channel in Adults 25-54.

Not everyone in Canada has HD to begin with, so an HD specialty channel already has a smaller potential audience from the start, and if you can't get carriage on the major BDU's, the potential audience is even smaller. How does it make any sense to spend all the money to launch an HD simulcast when major providers such as Bell TV don't even carry HD simulcasts of some of the most watched channels?
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Yeah the BDUs are definitely partly to blame here as well, although I'd almost argue the broadcasters are more to blame since they have so many SD services our BDUs simply don't have room for the HD equivalents.

Look how many satellites it takes Dish and Direct to deliver their full HD suite, you need like 4 LNBs these days to manage to get all of their HD offerings which are broadcasting from various birds.

The issue for the DTH guys is that so many legacy STBs exist in the system that it is tough for them to switch off some SD. Their new STBs do both HD and SD and will downconvert for those using SD sets still, which is a good plan since eventually they could do away with the SD version entirely and let the HD version be a downconvert handled by the STB.

Still, it is definitely a bandwidth issue for Canada. I see it on Shaw here in Calgary, when they are getting ready to add more HD they move a SD off analog to digital to free up some room, so they're obviously needing more bandwidth, although it is easier for them since they've got tons of channels on analog they can easily convert to digital to gain bandwidth. Each channel they do that to opens up room for another 2 or 3 HD channels or 6-10 SD channels. At some point they're sure to just drop analog transmission entirely and only offer digital service.

BTW, Shaw has renumbered their HD channels in the past few days, which was a good idea considering how whacky they had the channels lined up. Now they've got them numbered better and have lots of room to add more, number wise that is - bandwidth wise we'll have to wait and see what analog gets bumped up to digital next :)