Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

NBC Unveils Fall 2009 Plans

NBC gave advertisers a partial look at its fall plans Monday, announcing the pickup of four drama, two comedies and three renewals at its infront presentation, while declining to unveil a fall schedule and leaving the fate of some key shows in limbo.

After going down to the wire on its new-series pickups and "bubble"-series renewals, the network announced next season’s lineup will include two medical action-dramas, "Trauma" and "Mercy," the one-hour dramedy "Parenthood,” starring Peter Krause and Maura Tierney,” and, for midseason, the apocalyptic series “Day One.”

On the comedy side, "100 Questions for Charlotte Payne" and Chevy Chase’s "Community” received orders.

"We are thrilled to be announcing such an awesome slate of new series that build on our existing quality brand and deliver emotional, human stories," said Ben Silverman, co-chairman, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios. "NBC will strive to make viewers feel and our shows represent the full range of human emotion from laughter to tears. We can’t wait to share these concepts with our audience and our advertising partners."

As for renewals, the John Wells-produced cop drama "Southland” and NBC-produced comedy "Parks and Recreation," starring Amy Poehler received 13-episode orders. The recently debuted Thursday night duo are the only freshman scripted series NBC has committed to bringing back next season. Monday night’s “Heroes” also received a pickup.

Patricia Arquette’s "Medium" received a pickup Sunday morning, though its exact order was being worked out and expected to be in the 13-18 episode range.

NBC also announced six new “Saturday Night Live” Weekend Update primetime specials, which performed strong last fall when tied to the presidential election.

The network postponed the verdict two of its remaining bubble series, however -- the fan-favorite sophomore "Chuck" and veteran "Law & Order." The latter seeks to tie "Gunsmoke's" record 20-season run in annual renewals, if not produced episodes. Both series appear likely to return, but the decision won't be made until later in the month.

Also absent from the presentation was the traditional unveiling of the fall schedule, which the network says it will announce May 19, along with additional series pickups. NBC did note that “Day One” will premiere out of its coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

If Chuck doesn't get a renewal announcement soon, there will be riots on the internets.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    The network postponed the verdict two of its remaining bubble series, however -- the fan-favorite sophomore "Chuck" and veteran "Law & Order."
    I guess Knight Rider is officially cancelled.:mad:

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    I guess Knight Rider is officially cancelled.:mad:
    Yes, unfortunately

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=knight_rider

I hope Law & Order comes back for one more season, which would be its 20th. I haven't really watched the show as much as a used to, but if they were to announce when its final season will be, I'd probably watch most of it.

Day One looks pretty good, I bet CTV would love to have it to simulcast following the Olympics. What time will it air though, midnight ET? I can't see the closing ceremonies ending before that. I'm assuming thats what they mean when they say "NBC did note that “Day One” will premiere out of its coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics."?

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    I hope Law & Order comes back for one more season, which would be its 20th. I haven't really watched the show as much as a used to, but if they were to announce when its final season will be, I'd probably watch most of it.

Day One looks pretty good, I bet CTV would love to have it to simulcast following the Olympics. What time will it air though, midnight ET? I can't see the closing ceremonies ending before that. I'm assuming thats what they mean when they say "NBC did note that “Day One” will premiere out of its coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics."?
    From what I read it would premiere the next day, following the olympics. However I think it would be a good idea to try to launch it after The Olmypic closing ceremonies on the same night, even if it's at 12:00AM ET.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    If Chuck doesn't get a renewal announcement soon, there will be riots on the internets.

Oh I hope Chuck gets renewed. I love that show. And the season finale was awesome. ;)