Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Global Lethbridge is making a profit.

Canwest wont sell any Global stations, it would overall hurt the Global network, and it would hurt their national ad rates. the Global network as a whole makes money, if they need money for creditors the newspapers will be the ones that get cut, not any Global stations.

What are they going to get for the newspapers, readership is way down, not many read newspapers anymore. I like the idea of going speciality only reminds me of someone... oh yes the company Canwest bought- Alliance Atlantis! Specialty channels are where the money is at these days, so what do they need Global TV for?! Launch a few more (DIY Network, Reality TV, Parent TV) and you can sit back and watch the $$ pour in, less headache then a conventional network. Oh and launching HD feeds of your existing specialties wouldn't hurt either. ;)

the Global network as a whole is still making a profit, Sure specialty is where the money is but I understand why Canwest doesn't want to shut down a network that their farther took years to build, not to mention it would be the end of thousands of jobs if the local stations across the country shut down.

There is no reason yet for Canwest to shut down the Global network or any Global stations for that matter, and if the CRTC allows conventional channels to collect fees just like specialty channels do, then there will be no reason for Canwest to shut down Global or any Global stations.

Does Canwest have a deadline on June 15?

Quote Originally Posted by top View Post
    Does Canwest have a deadline on June 15?
    Does it matter? They'll just get it pushed-back again.

There will come a time (and that time is coming sooner than later) when the creditors will say "Enough!" and call Canwest in on their loans, and Canwest better not expect them to be tolerant of more excuses and delays.

But the creditors are not stupid, they know that if they force the company to fall apart they wont get even close to the amount they are owed, If Canwest is able to become a successful company again then they can get more of their money, they also need to wait til the economy is better so Canwest will get more money for their non-core assets. Now is really not the time to sell.

So far Canwest has done a good job at selling non-core assets, The New Republic and the radio stations in Turkey were both sold, huge cut-backs were made at newspapers (which is something they might be able to sell when the economy get's better), they sold their stake in The Score, and are selling/shutting down the 5 money losing CH stations, and they plan on selling Network Ten in Australia once the economy is better.

It will take time for things to work out, and the creditors know this, that's why they keep approving extensions

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    But the creditors are not stupid, they know that if they force the company to fall apart they wont get even close to the amount they are owed, If Canwest is able to become a successful company again then they can get more of their money, they also need to wait til the economy is better so Canwest will get more money for their non-core assets. Now is really not the time to sell.

So far Canwest has done a good job at selling non-core assets, The New Republic and the radio stations in Turkey were both sold, huge cut-backs were made at newspapers (which is something they might be able to sell when the economy get's better), they sold their stake in The Score, and are selling/shutting down the 5 money losing CH stations, and they plan on selling Network Ten in Australia once the economy is better.

It will take time for things to work out, and the creditors know this, that's why they keep approving extensions

If creditors do give up, there are other option than just selling off company assets. They can take the company over and run it until its profitable again then decide what todo with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    If creditors do give up, there are other option than just selling off company assets. They can take the company over and run it until its profitable again then decide what todo with it.
    But the thing is, most of the creditors are banks,ect.. who have absolutely no interest in running television stations, newspapers, ect..

But the thing is, most of the creditors are banks,ect.. who have absolutely no interest in running television stations, newspapers, ect..
    They can convert Canwest Corp into a Holdings Company and let some hired goons to run the show until they decide to sell it.

They can convert Canwest Corp into a Holdings Company and let some hired goons to run the show until they decide to sell it.
    Why would they spend more money and hire people to run the company when Canwest already has people running it, what can hired goons do that Canwest can't? They have already asked Canwest to bring in someone new to help restructure the company, that's really all they should want and need.

Why would they spend more money and hire people to run the company when Canwest already has people running it, what can hired goons do that Canwest can't? They have already asked Canwest to bring in someone new to help restructure the company, that's really all they should want and need.

It basically a trust break down. You said it your self they can't make any money by selling off company assets, but they could lost faith in the current management promises and send in their own people to run the company to try and make a profit again.

It basically a trust break down. You said it your self they can't make any money by selling off company assets, but they could lost faith in the current management promises and send in their own people to run the company to try and make a profit again.
    But like I said, what can people they hire do that Canwest can't? the banks own people don't know how to run broadcasting assets, they have no desire to run a broadcasting company, Canwest is pretty much doing the exact same thing they would be doing, selling non-core assets and reducing costs.

Canwest is pretty much doing the exact same thing they would be doing, selling non-core assets and reducing costs.
    Why have they not sold their interest in ONE: body, mind & spirit channel, I would not consider that a 'core' asset, same goes with Mentv, they should sell their interest to Quebecor.

It looks like they are doing a review of their specialty channels, I wonder what plans they have for Fox Sports World Canada & Discovery Health Channel?! I would shut down both of them. Maybe we will see something similar with Discovery Health/Reality TV as they are doing with Fine Living/DIY Network?! Shut down the one channel and launch the other at the same time.

Well, in the U.S. the original Discovery Health Channel is becoming OWN - Oprah Winfrey Network in 2010 (50% Harpo-owned, controlled), so the Canadian DHC will have a source of programming dry up. You can't simply rebrand it due to its condition of license... which is why Canwest got a new license for DIY to replace Fine Living when it shuts down (it is not a rebrand). I guess Canwest can create a digital channel and submit a proposal for a license to eventually replace DHC. I'm surprised BDUs didn't flex their muscles and let upcoming DIY to replace DHC. They could have made them start the process of negotiating all over again and make them get in line.

I can certainly see Canwest shutting down DHC since the US counterpart. What boggles the mind is why Canwest didn't bother to sell the French stations to Astral as they are not part of their core assets. One and Men should be sold as well.

I could see them shutting down BBC Kids, considering that is one of their speciality channels that isn't doing so well.

But like I said, what can people they hire do that Canwest can't? the banks own people don't know how to run broadcasting assets, they have no desire to run a broadcasting company, Canwest is pretty much doing the exact same thing they would be doing, selling non-core assets and reducing costs.

But like i said, a trust break down means they trow out current management. The creditors seem to be setting up ways to trow out current Asper family for someone else if Canwest can't produce results.

Quote Originally Posted by The Globe And Mail

Plans are being made at CanWest Global Communications Corp. (CGS) to bring in a senior executive who would lead a financial restructuring of the media company, possibly superseding chief executive officer Leonard Asper.

CanWest's creditors have been granted several key decision-making powers in exchange for a recent $175-million financial lifeline, including the ability to install a chief restructuring officer in the coming weeks, according to documents filed with securities regulators.

Source: The Globe & Mail

What boggles the mind is why Canwest didn't bother to sell the French stations to Astral as they are not part of their core assets. One and Men should be sold as well.

I could see them shutting down BBC Kids, considering that is one of their speciality channels that isn't doing so well.
    I think the reason they have not sold the interest they have in Series+ & Historia is because these are quite popular channels. You have the French version of Showcase and the French version of History Television and those are two of Canwest's most popular specialty channels and I assume the French counterparts are just as popular?!

With the acquisition of the S-VOX channels (which inlcude ONE) by Zoomer Media, I think that Canwest may sell their interest in this channel as Moses may want to own 100% of ONE.

As for BBC Kids, I think they should sell it to Corus, they own all the children's channels and this doesn't really fit with the rest of Canwest's specialty services. Also Corus had applied for a license to operate a channel that airs kids programming from around the world, so this channel would fit that designation I think.

But like I said, what can people they hire do that Canwest can't?
    The answer is simple: ANY company with a good leader and motivated followers with satisfied customers is gonna make money.

So far, CanWest's only interest is in buying US programs from the big 4 networks and dumping them on Global and E! and annoy the airwaves. What makes Global special? What does Global has to offer that CTV doesn't? (Ah yeah, let me guess... euh... home/reno shows? )

American programming is NOT the problem.

Canwest does have satisfied customers (viewers), the ratings prove this. The ratings prove that viewers like american shows the best, so Canwest is giving the customers what they want.

And as I have pointed out many times, Global does have Canadian programs, they don't just offer american programming.

And as for the home reno / lifestyle programming you keep bringing up, that pulls in viewers, people like it, you may not enjoy that type of programming, but many people do, that's why they air it, because people watch it!