Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I think the CRTC's recommendations due out in 2 weeks on local programming and the decision around fee for carriage (due out this fall) will likely have an impact on how Canwest will proceed with these stations.

I don't think it will be lights out for the E! stations on September 1st as I think Canwest would have made that official by now. Eventhough they did not purchase any additional US programming, they still have the E! programming as well as some programming from other properties they own.

Keep in mind that even if they sell the stations sometime this summer, it can take more then 6 months for the CRTC to approve it, so they will still own the stations for quite sometime even after a sale agreement is reached.

In my opinion, in the event there is no sale agreement before September, Canwest will likely continue to run the stations until the fee for carriage decision comes down. From there they will likely make a decision to continue persuing a buyer or shut the stations down.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Keep in mind that even if they sell the stations sometime this summer, it can take more then 6 months for the CRTC to approve it, so they will still own the stations for quite sometime even after a sale agreement is reached.
    Not really, when CTV was selling the Citytv stations to Rogers the stations ownership where spun off into a temporary company called something like 293829 Ontario Ltd. until Rogers got approved fully own it.

In my opinion, in the event there is no sale agreement before September, Canwest will likely continue to run the stations until the fee for carriage decision comes down. From there they will likely make a decision to continue persuing a buyer or shut the stations down.
    Canwest has promised their creditors that the stations would either be sold by the end of August or shutdown to save money. Canwest is too in debt right now to own and run the stations even if they had FFC.

Canwest has promised their creditors that the stations would either be sold by the end of August or shutdown to save money. Canwest is too in debt right now to own and run the stations even if they had FFC
    I understand that but it might be easer for them to sell the statons if FFC is approved. So if they don't sell them by the end of the summer, they will likely float them a few more months.

I understand that but it might be easer for them to sell the statons if FFC is approved. So if they don't sell them by the end of the summer, they will likely float them a few more months.
    Even with FFC, there still not alot of content that the new owners could put on the channel or network. FFC may keep the cameras running, but with no programming and little to no viewers, the stations would be nothing more than walking zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Even with FFC, there still not alot of content that the new owners could put on the channel or network. FFC may keep the cameras running, but with no programming and little to no viewers, the stations would be nothing more than walking zombies.
    I do see hope in two stations if the new buyers don't have content.

CHEK and CHCA broadcast on channel 6 which is receivable on most FM radios. All they have to do is broadcast music on their audio carrier while putting ads, community announcements and scenes from Victoria and Red Deer on the video carrier.

I'm not sure if this is allowed in Canada, but it is in the States where WNYZ which plays dance music in New York City is actually beating several established FM stations.

If SUN-TV can stay on the air all these years with hardly any programming, I'm sure CHCH could survive (not sure about the other E! stations).

They can just have movies in primetime from 8-10pm and syndicated programs from 7-8 and 10-11pm for the time being. They could probably get additional syndicated shows for the daytime and purchase cancon for the remaining part of the schedule from Canwest or another Canadian company.

I think it would be a complete travisty of CHCH shuts down while CKXT continues to operate. CKXT is a miserable excuse for a station. CHCH at least gets a decent amount of viewer's for it's local news.

Will CHEK and/or CHBC still be on the air after September 1?

If SUN-TV can stay on the air all these years with hardly any programming, I'm sure CHCH could survive (not sure about the other E! stations).

They can just have movies in primetime from 8-10pm and syndicated programs from 7-8 and 10-11pm for the time being. They could probably get additional syndicated shows for the daytime and purchase cancon for the remaining part of the schedule from Canwest or another Canadian company.

I think it would be a complete travisty of CHCH shuts down while CKXT continues to operate. CKXT is a miserable excuse for a station. CHCH at least gets a decent amount of viewer's for it's local news.

The difference between CKXT(SunTV) and CHCH is that; CKXT has a rich parent company, and CHCH had a rich parent company.

Why SunTV continues to operate is one of life's greatest mysteries. But i would hate CHCH to become another SunTV. Their just no buyers with deep pockets and a vision to help these stations.

The problem with the CHCH stations are that programming is either suck up by the three media giants, Global/CTV with Citytv trailing behind. And SunTV who's probably bough all syndication rights to old Cancon shows.

CHCH is stuck in a void of no programming, unless they can produce their own shows with someone that has deep pockets, these stations are going to fade to black soon.

quote from Mayhem

"Canwest has promised their creditors that the stations would either be sold by the end of August or shutdown to save money. Canwest is too in debt right now to own and run the stations even if they had FFC."

Any possibility this might not happen?

Quote Originally Posted by top View Post
    Canwest has promised their creditors that the stations would either be sold by the end of August or shutdown to save money. Canwest is too in debt right now to own and run the stations even if they had FFC.
    Any possibility this might not happen?[/quote]

Well there is no reason for Canwest to keep these stations after September, the CRTC's decisions on local programming requirements and fee for carriage will decide the fate of these stations, if Fee for Carriage is approved, someone will buy the stations since it's a way for them to make money, but there is no way Canwest will run 5 money losing stations with no fee for carriage and no simulcast programming through september.

Even if Fee for Carriage is approved, I still don't see Canwest keeping them, since they have no programming besides Specialty and E! programming, and it would be cheaper for Canwest to just air that programming on specialty channels since with local channels they would have to produce local newscasts.

So really the only these stations will survive is if someone else saves them, and that's only going to happen with Fee for Carriage.

By the way, Canwest will be making more local news cut-backs to CHBC Kelowna starting tomorrow, the 5:00PM newscast has been cancelled, and the 11:00PM newscast has been shortened to 30 minutes

New CHBC Kelowna Schedule Effective Tomorrow (June 29th)

Weekdays

4:30PM: That News Show
    5:00PM: Deal or No Deal Daytime
    5:30PM: CHBC News at 5:30
    6:00PM: Global National
    6:30PM: CHBC News at 6:30

11:00PM: CHBC News at 11
    11:30PM: Guy Stuff with John Moore

6:00AM: CHBC News at 11 Encore
    6:30AM: Tube Tales

The difference between CKXT(SunTV) and CHCH is that; CKXT has a rich parent company
    Isn't Quebecoir in dept and losting money too? I realise it's probably no where near to the extent of Canwest Meadiaworks

Quebecor is not losing money. SunTV is but it is owned by Quebecor Media who also owns Videotron and TVA and both of those, especially Videotron, is very profitable. Even tough SUNTV looses money it is compensated by big profit from the cable company

Interesting to hear that CHBC cancelled their 5PM news and shortened their 11PM newscast. They also cut their weekend news as well.

Wouldn't this reduction in local programming mean that Canwest is in essence, in violation of their broadcasting licence for CHBC?

I wonder what will happen to the staff there now that the news programming has been scaled back?

I'm sure the staff of CHBC aren't happy, and neither are the viewers. They are required to air 18.5 hours per week.

Considering that CHBC only has about two months left under Canwest's ownership, I don't see how the CRTC could punish them. If they fine Canwest, they could claim that the CRTC forced the company into bankruptcy.

I noticed that most of the in field reporters were not on CHBC's news tonight. Instead, the work was done by the people with the least seniority.

I wonder if this was coincidence, or if it has something to do with the cuts in their local news, which started today?

Could the situation be that some staff took off a few days for the
    holiday and left the young ones to run the show?

Some of the staff already had vacation time, so why extra time now?