Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    You know what else is anti-competitive? Forcing BDU's that own broadcasters to carry a bunch of unpopular channels just to carry the popular ones they own. (...) there is no way to get Bell to carry channels like CityNews Channel.
    Hmmm, ok, so following your position, Bell should remove Shaw Media's H2, Nat Geo Wild and Dejaview since they're a bunch of unpopular channels. Are you fine with this?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Hmmm, ok, so following your position, Bell should remove Shaw Media's H2, Nat Geo Wild and Dejaview since they're a bunch of unpopular channels. Are you fine with this?
    I don't consider top 20 most watched digital channels unpopular.

Don't you think that Bell is being anti-competitive by not carrying channels like aux, CityNews Channel and Nat Geo Wild?
    Yes they are but what can be done about that?! Forcing them to add every channel in existence is not a solution because that will lead to increased rates and a lineup clogged with unpopular channels that only a few, if any, watch. You can blame the CRTC for this, they are the ones that allowed BDU's to buy up broadcasters, that should never have been allowed as these two businesses should be kept separate IMO.

I find it interesting that Shaw Direct carries Animal Planet as well as Nat Geo Wild, guess they are not afraid of some competition and appear to be more willing to add channels customers want even if they compete with some of their own. Of course, on the other hand, they don't carry Comedy Gold which competes with Dejaview but that might be added when/if the new satellite launches?!

The Canadian TV industry is an oligopoly, not competitive enough to be good for consumers without regulation. The big players have bargaining power but the little guys have very little to launch new channels.
    This is the heart of the matter here, True competition does NOT exist in Canada because there are only a few large players in the game and it could be argued that some collusion amongst them exists. I see very little difference between the big companies, (Shaw, Rogers, Bell) as far as pricing and packaging goes.

As far as the smaller broadcasters go, how many channels could they realistically launch as they do not have the deep pockets that the conglomerates do?! Also, I think we have enough channels, what we need is better content not more channels and if that means getting rid of some existing services (including some owned by the big comglomerates) then I am all for it.

I don't consider top 20 most watched digital channels unpopular.
    OK, cut the crap to avoid answering.
    Are you OK with Bell and Rogers not distributing Shaw Media's 3 lowest rated specialties ?

Are you OK with Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Quebecor not distributing ANY of independent english broadcasters (Channel Zero, Stornoway, Blue Ant) specialties because they are "low rated" or compete against their own services (Animal Planet vs. The Pet Network, Movietime vs. Rewind, etc.) ?
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

NAC TV Added

Add another channel to the list...Neepawa, Manitoba community channel NAC TV was added to Bell TV yesterday after a couple of days of a coming soon slide- you can find it on channel 592.

More info on this channel at its website at:
    http://www.nactv.ca/index.php/en/

NAC TV Added

Cool! I didn't know this channel existed. Is there anything like it anywhere else in Canada?

[QUOTE=InMontreal;59628]

OK, cut the crap to avoid answering.
    I didn't avoid answering, you asked if I would be fine with BDU's pulling Shaw Media channels you thought were unpopular, I responded that I don't think digital channels among the top 20 most watched are unpopular. Sorry the facts don't fit your opinion.

Are you OK with Bell and Rogers not distributing Shaw Media's 3 lowest rated specialties ?

I don't think BDU's should not distribute top 20 digital channels just because they are the lowest rated out of all the Shaw Media channels, that would be absurd. This goes for any broadcaster. It shouldn't matter who owns the channel, it should be based on if the channel provides value to the service, and I don't see how you can argue that any channel among the top 20 most watched doesn't provide value to the service. Do you not realize how ridiculous your proposal sounds? A top 20 channel should lose carriage because it's the lowest rated out of all the channels owned by the same company? Why would any cable company follow such a ridiculous model? They want to carry the most watched channels, not just the most watched channels from each ownership group.

Are you OK with Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Quebecor not distributing ANY of independent english broadcasters (Channel Zero, Stornoway, Blue Ant) specialties because they are "low rated" or compete against their own services (Animal Planet vs. The Pet Network, Movietime vs. Rewind, etc.) ?
    If they feel these channels don't provide value to their service then I don't think they should have to carry them just because they are independent. Shaw/Canwest used to operate some low rated channels themselves (which were shut down or sold) and they struggled with carriage for most of these channels, which is fine, I don't think BDU's should be forced to carry a channel few people are watching. I'm not saying they should only carry top 20 specialty channels, I think they should carry as many channels as they want, I don't think they will be very competitive with other providers if they only choose to carry the top 30 digital channels, it's in their best interest to offer a variety of channels, including independents.

I don't think BDU's should not distribute top 20 digital channels just because they are the lowest rated out of all the Shaw Media channels, that would be absurd.
    Shaw Media operates 18 specialties.
    It would be absurd that Shaw Media's 3 lowest rated channels made the Top 20 digital channels list. Don't take me for an idiot.

I don't think BDU's should be forced to carry a channel few people are watching.
    Unfortunately, we are stuck with Twist TV, a Category A specialty that BDUs are forced to carry and few people are watching.

[QUOTE=InMontreal;59635]

Shaw Media operates 18 specialties.
    It would be absurd that Shaw Media's 3 lowest rated channels made the Top 20 digital channels list. Don't take me for an idiot.
    Shaw Media operates 18 specialty channels, not 18 digital channels, although it's impressive every Shaw Media digital is among the top 20 most watched, it's not absurd or impossible. The facts don't fit your baseless theory.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Twist TV, a Category A specialty that BDUs are forced to carry and few people are watching.
    If Twist TV was a digital channel it would be well within the top 20 most watched, making it a channel BDU's would want to carry. Again you are sticking to your own theories of what you think is unpopular and just assuming that's the case, viewers love watching the channels you personally dislike.

I don't think digital channels among the top 20 most watched are unpopular.
    Are you referring to the Top 20 specialty channels overall OR the Top 20 Digital specialty channels? If these channels you are referring to are among the Top 20 digital specialty channels then that is not saying much since the diginets have lower viewership overall compared to the so-called analogue specialties. Also, that is skewing the stats, the only stat that matters is overall viewership, here's an example:

If you say that 'x' channel is the 10th or 15th most watched specialty channel then that is impressive, if however you say its the 10 or 15th most watched digital channel that that is not saying much, at least IMO.

I agree, this is a waste of a channel and I can't understand why the CRTC hasn't called it out yet for being in violation of its license?! This is no longer a health channel, its all reality crap which have nothing to do with health related matters. It should be forced to change its programming to comply or else have its Cat. A status revoked. Let's see how many providers would continue to carry it if it lost its protective status?! I say its time to do away with these protectionist policies, get rid of these ridiculous categories and have all channels compete on the same playing field.

In addition they should either revamp or shut down BookTelevision as well!!! Another Channel along with twist TV so full of pure Crap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Cool! I didn't know this channel existed. Is there anything like it anywhere else in Canada?
    Another one went up on Bell yesterday...CHCO St. Andrews, NB is on 539, and CHET Chetwynd/Dawson Creek is listed on 655. CHET appears to be regionally restricted as it's marked in red on my program guide...

CHCO can be found online at
    http://chct.ca/
    Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-22-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added URL

In an update to the previous post, turns out there was a good reason for CHET being in red-it wasn't up yet! But that may change soon, both CHET and new Cape Breton-based CIMC Arichat (aka Telile, ch 536) may go up later today, if the Bell program guides are to be believed (coming soon screens popped up on both channels yesterday)...Telile have programs listed started at noon ET (1pm local), and CHET at 4pm ET (1pm local). Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-12-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: additional info

I just wish they'd make CTS either from calgary or Edmonton available and Joy TV BC and Manitoba available and not have them restricted from our Community!!! They said they added them reciently but why are most of us not seeing them for?!!! yres I've noticed that CHET Tv has been in the Red for quite sometime as well!!!

In an update to yesterday's post....
    * Telile (CIMC Arichat NS) went up on 536 last night, CHET Chetwynd (ch 655) still has the Coming Soon slide (that lists both CHET and Telile). The Coming Soon slide went up on both 536 and 655 on Friday.

From what I understand from the Digital Home boards, if you're grandfathered in on the older packages (like I am), you should have both CTS Alberta and Joytv.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    In an update to yesterday's post....
    * Telile (CIMC Arichat NS) went up on 536 last night, CHET Chetwynd (ch 655) still has the Coming Soon slide (that lists both CHET and Telile). The Coming Soon slide went up on both 536 and 655 on Friday.
    In an update, CHET has gone up in the last couple of days, but the signal at this point appears to be intermittent...early this morning when I tuned in 655, I got a couple of seconds of their notice board before it flickered and went to a black screen. Also another new ethnic service to report-Pakistani channel ARY Digital, which had previously partnered with ATN for its Urdu channel, is now operating on 684.

Telile has taken its new national status on the dish and ran with it...running a notice offering ads for $75 plus tax, reminding viewers they only carry community event notices for the local coverage area-and firing a shot across Shaw Direct's bow, running a notice announcing that anyone wondering where they can find Telile on Shaw Direct should contact them to find out:boxing:

Update from yesterday...
    * ARY Digital is actually on 687, and in free preview until Feb. 25th
    * CHET's signal issues have been sorted out and the station is now on 655
    * Add another BC OTA community station to your scorecard, CHVC Valemount will be going on 653 soon-Bell is currently simulcasting BET on 653 in the meantime...

The BET simulcast on 653 seems to have been short-lived, Bell replaced it with a "coming soon" slide on Sunday...

As of yesterday, CHVC is now up and running on Bell- the signal started yesterday afternoon...

According to Wikipedia, these other community OTA channels operate...
    CFTS-TV 6 Teslin, YT
    CFEG-TV 19 Abbotsford, BC (religious)
    CIRE-TV 12 High Prairie, AB
    CIHC-TV 5 Hay River, NT
    CFSO-TV 32 Cardston, AB
    CHOB-TV 43 Hobbema, AB
    CFTV-DT 34.1-34.4 Leamington, ON (34.1 CFTV, 34.2 French/Spanish, 34.3 Caldwell First Nation/special needs, 34.4 Council/news)
    CHMG-TV 9 Quebec City
    CHNE-TV 36 Cheticamp, NS

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which would be added next?

Didn't take long for my question to be answered...Ontario and the North are getting OTA community TV representation next (coming soon slides went up this morning):

586 CFTV 34.1 Leamington, ON (sked is already on receiver's program guide)
    649 CIHC 5 Hay River, NT

IMO, I suspect CHMG Quebec City to go up next, seeing that it's the only French channel on the OTA community channel list