Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I don't think you're going to see any of the 3 stations out west adopt an all news format, well yet anyways, unless the FFC gets approved because apparently local programming is very expensive and no one at all seems to know a way to keep costs under control and the markets out there aren't that big enough to support an all news channel, well maybe CHEK could, especially if it included Vancouver in its news scope. That's probably why they didn't buy they other stations, too small to support the news format and I guess they didn't know what else to do with them?
    CHCA also serves Edmonton and Calgary, and they have approximately the same population of Vancouver combined. I don't see why CHCA can't be an all news station for Alberta, that's of course if there is demand for it.

CHEK could potentially challenge well established AM stations like CKNW and CFAX if they decide to go all news. Channel 6's audio carrier is on 87.7. 87.7 is a frequency that most FM radios can tune into. News on FM could be successful, if done right.

It is great to hear that the people at the 2 stations will have jobs. What is interesting in this purchase (which was rumoured to be in process) is Channel Zero's snub of the western E stations. They have purchased stations which have the potential to serve both Toronto and Montreal.

With July 1 being a deadline for creditors again and with July 15 being a definitive deadline for restructuring, it appears that Canwest has bought some breathing room with its creditors.

In the press release, Canwest did say how the stations would have "closed" if they were not sold. Now the question shifts out west to the three remaining E stations.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    CHCH is a conventional station anyways, they can do pretty much whatever they want as long as they maintain local programming commitments and Cancon levels. They could go all sports if they wanted to and sprinkle local news programs throughout.
    Speaking of sports, I wonder if Hamilton got an NHL team (which is a big if), would Channel Zero buy at least some local TV rights for CHCH? It would provide great primetime programming 1-2 nights a week.

Quote Originally Posted by top View Post
    What is interesting in this purchase (which was rumoured to be in process) is Channel Zero's snub of the western E stations.
    My best guess is that Canwest is, at the very least, holding out for a better price from Pattison for those stations, if not already actively negotiating with them. AFAIK Pattison was never interested in the eastern stations, and I wouldn't be surprised to see CZ pick up a few more if Pattison's interest falls through.

The idea of Pattison relaunching the remaining E! stations as de-facto provincial all-news channels - CHCA with opt-outs at CHAT, and CHEK with opt-outs at CHBC, CFJC and CKPG - makes a lot of (common) sense to me; whether it makes financial sense is debatable, but not much more than it does at CHCH.

ETA: Also, as the Cartt article points out, by not buying the western stations, CZ would presumably be exempt from the 8-hour-per-week priority programming requirements, since AFAIK that only applies to the "largest" station groups (serving 70%+ of the population). Although they may still be required to air a smaller quota (NTV is required to air 5 hours a week, for example).
    Last edited by JoshG; 06-30-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: another note

Well, it's nice to see that someboby bought these stations and they will able to stay on the air, but I'm not so sure on this "news all day, movies at night" thing for CHCH. Has a concept like this ever been tried before on a conventional broadcast station? I'm not sure it will be successful.

Well, Craig, Canwest tried an OTA E! to complete failure... even if you don't factor in the depressed ad market for OTA in Canada.

I'd like too Moses Znaimer buy the remaining A stations (though Wingham and Windsor look dead; along w/ non-A Brandon) and the 3 orphaned E! stations and make a RTV (Retro TV). Try a London, Ottawa, Ottawa and Victoria RTV. Maybe Barrie, Red Deer and Kelowna.

RTV
    http://www.myretrotv.com/

Unlike the sub-channels in the U.S., it would be a primary OTA w/ local news here.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigleith View Post
    I'm not so sure on this "news all day, movies at night" thing for CHCH.
    I think it'll work. People want news, and the regions it covers (Hamilton, Halton, Niagara) is underserved.

Quote Originally Posted by lukebenward View Post
    Well, Craig, Canwest tried an OTA E! to complete failure... even if you don't factor in the depressed ad market for OTA in Canada.

I'd like too Moses Znaimer buy the remaining A stations (though Wingham and Windsor look dead; along w/ non-A Brandon) and the 3 orphaned E! stations and make a RTV (Retro TV). Try a London, Ottawa, Ottawa and Victoria RTV. Maybe Barrie, Red Deer and Kelowna.

RTV
    http://www.myretrotv.com/

Unlike the sub-channels in the U.S., it would be a primary OTA w/ local news here.
    The only problem I see with that is that either CHEK or CIVI would have to shut down or sold off to another company. You can't own two television stations in the same city.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    You can't own two television stations in the same city.
    What about twinsticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Craigleith View Post
    What about twinsticks?
    I think I had some bad wording there. I'm going to explain.
    In larger markets, the only exceptions are those that are a different language, like Rogers owning OMNI 1, 2 and Citytv, who are all licensed to Toronto.

Twinsticks for the same city are allowed for smaller makets like Lloydminster, but likely not Victoria which is part of the Vancouver market.
    Last edited by Emarsee; 06-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Another exception to the one station in one language per market rule is Ottawa. CTV is allowed to control both CJOH and CHRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    Another exception to the one station in one language per market rule is Ottawa. CTV is allowed to control both CJOH and CHRO.
    CHRO is licensed to Pembroke, not Ottawa, they have a repeater in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    CHRO is licensed to Pembroke, not Ottawa, they have a repeater in Ottawa.
    Still, both stations serve the Ottawa Market

At http://www.chtv.com/ch/chchnews/video/index.html you can view both a report from CHCH's Nick Dixon on the sale of CHCH, you can also view Live at 5:30's coverage.

From the video Channel Zero said it plans to have local news air from 5:30AM-8:00PM with a movie in primetime and then more local news.

Q&A From Channel Zero:

How much did you pay for the two stations?
    We are not currently disclosing the purchase price of the two stations.

How long do you expect the CRTC to take to approve it?

We are working on quick approval from the CRTC. I cannot predict how long that will take, but I can tell you that it is our hope that the purchase will be closed by the end of the summer.

Do you foresee any issues with CRTC approval?
    No because Channel Zero Inc. intends to file applications with the CRTC requesting approval for the transfer of control of the station`s licences under terms and conditions substantially similar to those contained in the current licences.

We are hopeful we will have an expedited application process.

If Canwest couldn't make the stations work how do you expect to?

We are changing the model on each of the station and focusing on what they each do best. In the case of CHCH-TV, they are leaders in news and we will build on that, changing the programming format to all news all day with movies in the evenings. CJNT-TV is licensed as a multicultural channel in one of the world’s most ethnically diverse cities – our new programming of foreign language films and current multicultural music videos from around the world is both a new approach to programming and is consistent with its license mandate.

You are specialty broadcasters - how are you going to operate two conventional stations?

Both CHCH-TV and CJNT-TV have very strong management teams and solid employees. We see them as an integral component to the ongoing operation of the stations. Channel Zero has been successfully broadcasting for over 8 years. We’re innovative, focused and hard-working.

How can you ensure that all employees will stay employed?

We've got a strong business plan and we are committed to succeeding. Our model for each station along with the predicted ad sales and other revenues will allow us to keep all staff employed.

What will be the biggest threat to the extension of the collective agreement with the CEP?

A condition of the sale includes Canwest securing an extension of CHCH`s collective agreement with the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union.

Canwest is taking the lead on negotiations and any communications related to it.

Why does this deal require certain changes to employees’ pensions or benefits?
    There are many changes that will occur to both CHCH-TV and CJNT-TV as we transition them to their new business models. The previous cost structures had these stations losing money for many years and were simply not sustainable on a go forward basis. The new economics of the stations don’t support a defined benefit pension plan. Channel Zero intends to introduce a new benefit plan that is based on defined contributions.

How do you see the Local Programming Improvement Fund (LPIF) impacting the stations?

We’re certainly aware of the LPIF and are awaiting the details from the CRTC to see what the mechanism for fund disbursements will be. As the fund is currently described, CJNT-TV does not qualify due to the size of the Montreal market. We believe our new programming strategy for CHCH-TV Hamilton is fully aligned with the mandate of the fund which is to support and enhance local programming.

Stations

Are you familiar with the community drive to keep CHCH-TV in business?

Yes. The community has done an amazing job of keeping the station and its role in the community top of mind. One of CHCH-TV’s greatest assets is its heritage and the goodwill that the station has throughout the region, and frankly, right across Canada. Nearly 15,000 Facebook users signed on to support and save CHCH.

Do you really expect a news channel to sell in Hamilton?

CHCH-TV is and always has been a leader in news programming. What we are going to do is to build on that strength and make CHCH-TV even more compelling by providing local, national and international news with a regional perspective. The station will be all news all day followed by well known movie favourites in the evening that will have huge appeal with our target audience and for advertisers who want to speak to those viewers.

Will you run a late evening news broadcast on CHCH-TV?

At this point we know that the late evening news broadcast performs quite well for CHCH-TV. That being said, we are going to look at all opportunities to maximize the performance of the schedule and look forward to working with the station’s management to create an optimized programming grid for the evening.

Do you really expect that multicultural music videos and foreign films will sell in Canada?

Absolutely. We are very excited by the prospects and advertising opportunities that CJNT-TV presents. We are intending to combine original foreign films and multicultural music videos. This will be the only station in Canada with this programming format and considering Montréal’s rich, diverse, multicultural community we’re certain the new CJNT-TV will be a hit both locally and nationally.

Will you be airing adult content on either station?

We do not intend to air adult content on either station.

Did they also buy rights to the E! brand? Or does canwest still own those rights?

Quote Originally Posted by nicohockey9 View Post
    Did they also buy rights to the E! brand? Or does canwest still own those rights?
    Canwest still retains the E! brand.

So does this mean no more simsubs from E, especially during PGA Golf?

Only after the sale goes through. Until then, Canwest still controls E!, therefore until at least Sept. PGA on E!

Just where will all the E! Programming go to when or if CHCH Hamilton re-brands?!!!

I kind of wonder when Channel Zero in fact does re-brand CHCH Hamilton into News all Day, Movies at Night service...where is all the E! Programming going to go to?!!!