Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204

    Citytv & OMNI Licence renewal info


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta!!
    Posts
    317
    Really, 14 hours a week minimum?

    Anybody think that Rogers will actually bite and just go slash crazy?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    I'm not sure, I don't see them cutting any news in Toronto and their local programming they air in other cities is already done as cheap as possible.

    Another good thing from today's CRTC decision is they denied Rogers request to spend $0 dollars on priority programming and spend it all on local programming, so Rogers is going to still have to spend money to produce both Canadian priority programming and local programming (just like CTV and Canwest)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    What was interesting is that they kept the requirement of a 100-hours a year of Canadian feature films. Knowing Rogers they probably just buy one movie and play it over and over around 3am every night. its not label priority programming so they don't have to have it on primetime.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    No it is, they will have to air the movies in primetime, I would expect them to just continue airing them Saturdays from 9:00PM-11:00PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    No it is, they will have to air the movies in primetime, I would expect them to just continue airing them Saturdays from 9:00PM-11:00PM.
    Nothing on the decision stated that it was "priority programming" for Canadian film content, just that Citytv had to have 100-hours of film a year on their schedule. If that was true that would technically overlap on the 14-hour minimum on priority programming during primetime.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    The decision was made under the priority programming catagory.

    It goes on to say:

    "Rogers argued that the requirement for both CITY-TV Toronto and CKVU-TV Vancouver to broadcast a minimum of 100 hours per broadcast year of Canadian long-form features during peak viewing hours and a maximum of ten hours of feature-length documentaries is no longer a viable programming strategy given that films are now widely available and offered by a number of conventional, specialty, pay and video-on-demand services. It also noted that it is the only conventional broadcaster with a specific requirement to broadcast Canadian feature films.

    peak viewing hours is primetime (7-11pm) so no Citytv would not be able to air them whenever they want.

    the Movies do count towards Citytv's priority programming hours, it's just Citytv would rather air reruns of Canadian series than reruns of Canadian movies.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    The decision was made under the priority programming catagory.

    It goes on to say:

    "Rogers argued that the requirement for both CITY-TV Toronto and CKVU-TV Vancouver to broadcast a minimum of 100 hours per broadcast year of Canadian long-form features during peak viewing hours and a maximum of ten hours of feature-length documentaries is no longer a viable programming strategy given that films are now widely available and offered by a number of conventional, specialty, pay and video-on-demand services. It also noted that it is the only conventional broadcaster with a specific requirement to broadcast Canadian feature films.

    peak viewing hours is primetime (7-11pm) so no Citytv would not be able to air them whenever they want.

    the Movies do count towards Citytv's priority programming hours, it's just Citytv would rather air reruns of Canadian series than reruns of Canadian movies.
    Ok you got me there, but you know I'm right about the part on how their just going to play the same movie over and over again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,138
    I don't see why Rogers would play the same movie over and over? Do they do it right now? As far as I can tell they don't, so why would they start doing it now, nothing has changed.

    As much as they don't want to air the movies, they still want to get some viewers with what they put there, airing the same movie constantly isn't going to do that. You may see some repeats of the same movie you saw a couple months ago, but I don't think they will play 'X' movie this week and next week it will be the same one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I don't see why Rogers would play the same movie over and over? Do they do it right now? As far as I can tell they don't, so why would they start doing it now, nothing has changed.

    As much as they don't want to air the movies, they still want to get some viewers with what they put there, airing the same movie constantly isn't going to do that. You may see some repeats of the same movie you saw a couple months ago, but I don't think they will play 'X' movie this week and next week it will be the same one.
    They haven't bought any new films since they took over Citytv two years ago on the idea they would be able to rid themselves of this requirement. But with them not getting their way, because the Canadian Association of Film Distributors(CAFD) argue during the hearings that Citytv was their only major buyer before Rogers and they wanted that to stay the same. However Rogers would probably still not buy any new films as a way to give a silence protest to the CRTC and CAFD.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •