Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

NBC cuts short its run of "The Listener"

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a.../15/09&id=8204

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- NBC is parting ways with its Canadian import "The Listener."

Network sources have confirmed the series will wrap its broadcast run on July 23 as repeats of "Law & Order" will take over the Thursday, 10:00/9:00c slot starting July 30.

It's understood the five remaining installments of its 13-episode order will stream on NBC.com.

"The Listener" posted an invisible 0.7 rating among adults 18-49 last week, less than half its premiere audience (a 1.5 rating on June 4).

I knew NBC would do something like this. I wonder what CTV is going to do.

CTV is still required to air all the episodes, however they may move it to a new timeslot so they can simulcast Law and Order reruns with NBC, Law and Order UK (which also airs Thursdays at 10:00PM) is doing VERY well for Citytv, and in Toronto it's actually neck in neck with The Listener, The Listener losing it's NBC simulcast may be the edge Law and Order UK needs to win the timeslot in Toronto.

I have a feeling CTV will move it to a different timeslot. The only possible one I can think of for the moment is Fridays at 9:00pm.

It works well leading out of Ghost Whisperer. Plus, CTV has been using that slot for Castle reruns in pre-release for episodes airing Saturdays on ABC. That's expected to change as ABC will be moving those reruns to its regular timeslot on Monday nights starting in August, and those can easily be simulcast on 'A'.

I would have also considered Mondays at 8:00pm (where Law & Order currently airs) but it's up against House reruns on Global, and that would actually hurt more than help. Coincidentally, House reruns also air Thursday at 10:00pm starting this week.

But it looks like the ratings for The Listener here are beginning to slide considerably as well. Those numbers from two weeks ago put the show outside the Top 15 and it also fell hard from the highest-rated show of the week, being the results show of So You Think You Can Dance.

So a timeslot change is just what this show could use - Fridays at 9:00pm doesn't provide very much competition and CTV should easily win this one, I think.

Still, ill be disappointed if CTV drop the show because of NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Still, ill be disappointed if CTV drop the show because of NBC.
    CTV won't drop the show

They might not bring it back for a second season though.

And CTV won't have to worry about Law & Order: UK beating The Listener once they lose the simulcast, because the season finale of Law & Order: UK is July 23. Personally I'm happy that I'll be able to watch Law & Order episodes in that timeslot for the rest of the summer.