Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yes CITV1-Red Deer (Global Edmonton's Red Deer transmitter) still has a requirement to air 2 hour and 30 minutes of Red Deer programming, when Canwest first made their licence renewals to the CRTC it looked like they planned on keeping the E! stations.

Considering Global Edmonton is one of the few stations actually making money on local programming, it would be nice if Canwest could keep a Red Deer Bureau for Global Edmonton with a few of the CHCA staff and have them produce a 30 minute weekday newscast for Global Edmonton's Red Deer transmitter. It would be way cheaper than running CHCA (could make even more cost-cuts, they would not have to pay for CHCA transmitters, plus only have to air 2 hours and 30 minutes of local news instead of 7) and that way Red Deer would continue to get served with local news.

as for what's going on with CHEK, this is great news, it's really starting to look like this station will be saved afterall. They still have a ton of work to do but things look way better than they did a few weeks ago.

So they're going to try to buy CHEKfor $2-million? $500,000 by the employees and $1.5-million from investors? What are they getting for that 2mil? Just the licence? How does $2-million cover all the expenses necessary to air anything?

Quote Originally Posted by VicViewer View Post
    So they're going to try to buy CHEKfor $2-million? $500,000 by the employees and $1.5-million from investors? What are they getting for that 2mil? Just the licence? How does $2-million cover all the expenses necessary to air anything?
    I don't know, but most likely the building, cameras, transmitters ect.., there is no way they are paying $2 million just for the licence, CHCH went for $6 dollars.

Does anyone know if CHEK still has their old master control in the building?

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Does anyone know if CHEK still has their old master control in the building?
    I had heard that both the master control and the production control room were both gutted when they made their respective moves to Calgary and Vancouver. I have nothing to fully confirm that though

Quote Originally Posted by VicViewer View Post
    I had heard that both the master control and the production control room were both gutted when they made their respective moves to Calgary and Vancouver. I have nothing to fully confirm that though
    That's true.

No longer at CHEK. BCTV had ran the CHEK master for a few years. Then everything moved to Calgary in 2001 as you may already know.

Another wrinkle to consider is that since the announcement of CHEK's possible closure there's probably a lot of clients and charities knocking on /A\'s door. If /A\ signs a bunch of them to contracts before CHEK employees complete a deal to buy the station, that's just one more hurdle to climb.

I've heard CHEK has already lost Cops for Cancer and possibly the Tour de Rock. It'll be pretty hard to get them back to CHEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    I've heard CHEK has already lost Cops for Cancer and possibly the Tour de Rock. It'll be pretty hard to get them back to CHEK.
    Cops for Cancer Tour de Rock has definitely jumped over to /A\. Their news director and lead anchor, Hudson Mack, is the media rider this year. It's definitely a big blow considering how many years CHEK was the title sponsor, but considering the actual bike ride happens in September, the move might have been a smart one.

That may not be such a bad thing, although it's great what local stations do for charities it doesn't help the station make a profit, usually your giving away millions, under the current state CHEK is in it doesn't make much sense to be giving away free ads to charities anyways.

That being said, IF this whole CHEK thing works out I don't see CHEK being charity free, currently all the sales from Save CHEK News t-shirts are going towards charity.

Starting September 1st, CHBC will have a 5:30, 6:30 and an hour long 11 PM newscast.

Quote Originally Posted by top View Post
    Starting September 1st, CHBC will have a 5:30, 6:30 and an hour long 11 PM newscast.
    So Global National airs at 6:00? Not suprising considering Canwest wants CHBC viewers to tune to BCTV for the News Hour and then to CHBC for the 6:30 newscasts. The question is, will the newscasts be renamed to "Early News", "Evening News", ala BCTV, or still remain CHBC News @ 5:30?

As far as I know, the newscasts will remain being called CHBC News. Now they should've returned the hourly long CHBC News at 5 since it was their most watched program before it was split into a lifestyles show followed by a newscast.

I'm not sure what will happen but I would not be surprised to see it stay CHBC News, re-branding it to Global News format could create confusion with Global BC because as far as I know Global BC is not leaving the Kelowna market (not only does Global BC have a local transmitter but it's news is extremely popular) re-branding would also require a new set and other re-branding costs, since people are used to the CHBC brand I don't see the point of spending a bunch of money to re-brand it's newscasts as Global.

CHBC is pretty luckly, not only were they the only E! station Canwest kept but their news was not cut, when Canwest could have cut it to 7 hours a week.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver.../53728417.html
    Opportunity in Crisis

By Roszan Holmen - Victoria News

Published: August 19, 2009 6:00 AM
    Updated: August 19, 2009 2:27 PM

What started as a pink slip may well end up as a ground-breaking model for television news in Canada.

With only a week to go before CHEK-TV is set to close, employees are bidding to buy their station from CanWest Global.

At stake is $15,000 from each employee, plus their severance packages. The potential payback includes continued employment and the opportunity to shape programming without corporate interference.

It’s a financial gamble.

While the station has been bleeding money under the direction of CanWest, the prospective owners have ideas on how to turn a profit.

“You’re looking at lowering the cost of programming by putting in a lot more local programming,” said Richard Konwick, assignment editor at CHEK-TV and president of the local employees’ union.
    “We control the cost, because we produce it.”

Putting journalists in the driver’s seat, with a direct financial stake in the company, raises questions for media analyst David Black.

“Are we looking at a different way of reckoning with editorial integrity relative to the role of advertisers?” asked Black, a professor at Royal Roads University.

“I’m not questioning the ethics or the judgment of the journalist – it’s a matter of ‘how do we stay in business?’”

“There is a large and growing dimension of our media culture that is advertorial.”

Black, who has no affiliation with Black Press, parent company of the Victoria News, won’t predict whether CHEK-TV’s model is likely to stand the test of time. But, he said, the experiment is necessary.

“The Canadian television system needs new ways of approaching this business and the way it addresses its audiences.”

Black points to some promising new sources of revenue to make stations like CHEK-TV more viable.

Recently, the CRTC upped its funding for local programming to $100 million from $70 million. Also, as more frequencies open up with the transition to digital TV, the government can generate funds by selling access to this virtual real estate.
    •••

Employee-owned media models may be new to television but not to newspapers.

In Atlantic Canada, the St. Croix Courier newspaper ran as a co-operative for years, points out Kim Kierans, director of journalism at the University of King’s College in Halifax.

“Eventually, they just got tired and sold to Advocate Publishing,” she said. The model “lasts as long as everyone’s there but when someone wants to retire and take their money out, that’s when the problems happen with co-operatives.”

Despite the hurdles, Kierans said she believes co-operatives are possible with clear leadership and chain of command.

These days, independent upstarts, with all sorts of business models, are popping up.

In Halifax, a news cooperative launched shortly after the death of the city’s second daily newspaper.

Sponsors fund investigative journalism, Kierans said.
    “They’ll ask their community: ‘What isn’t being covered by mainstream media?’”

A similar model is underfoot in Vancouver.

Here in Victoria, two news outlets are testing their wings.
    B Channel News launched its website a few months ago.

A group of six contributors upload video to the site. For now, they’re volunteering their time and looking for others to help film all the region’s council meetings.

A business model is something they’re still searching for, said founding member Chris Johnson.

The Bridge, a left-leaning newspaper, also made an appearance on Victoria’s streets a few months ago.

Articles are a mesh of writing by the publisher, Jack Etkin, and material he’s pulled from the web. His two-person team aims to print perspectives the mainstream media won’t.

For his business model, Etkin borrowed from Street Newz. A team of about six homeless people sell copies to passersby for $1.

While the first edition sold more than 2,000 copies, the second sold only 600, leaving Etkin to wonder whether he’ll be able to finance a third.

Of all the experimentation happening in media right now, some will stick and some won’t, said James MacKinnon, writer and ex-editor of Victoria’s formerly independent Monday Magazine.

“If people want independent media, than they really need to embrace it even when it’s imperfect,” MacKinnon said. “If you embrace it ... then it is going to turn into something better and better but if its not (supported) then it goes out the window.”
    •••

Over at CHEK-TV, employees are excited about all the opportunities ahead but the deal is far from done.

There are significant challenges, said John Douglas, spokesperson for CanWest. “It’s not a matter of raising a certain amount of money.”

Regulatory bodies need to first approve the new station and that takes time, Douglas said.

CanWest is not prepared to continue operating past its deadline of Aug. 31 unless employees can cover its losses, he added.

But Konwick, representing the employees’ union, remains optimistic.

“The CRTC is very supportive of our position,” he said. “I think regulatory approval will not be a problem. We’re keeping our fingers crossed.”

rholmen@saanichnews.com

At least Global plays better simsubs than E! I wish our local CHAT TV affiliate went Global instead of E!
    ________
    Handjob Fetish
    Last edited by HT Gearhead; 03-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    At least Global plays better simsubs than E! I wish our local CHAT TV affiliate went Global instead of E!
    CHAT is becoming a Citytv affiliate this fall.

Ah, correction: A Citytv affiliate in schedule only, but retain their own identity. ;) This makes sense since Citytv works best as bi-coastal brand (Toronto and Vancouver).

Quote Originally Posted by lukebenward View Post
    Ah, correction: A Citytv affiliate in schedule only, but retain their own identity. ;) This makes sense since Citytv works best as bi-coastal brand (Toronto and Vancouver).
    They're still not hiding the fact that they are Citytv affiliates though, I've checked their schedules and they will likely air CityLine and CityNews International. I believe they are still keeping their current logos.