Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Rogers Drops NTV, Global Winnipeg & St. John's

Beginning August 25th Rogers will drop Global Winnipeg, Global St. John's and NTV from it's cable line-up.

Edit: I believe this will only affect Rogers Digital Cable subscribers in Ontario
    Last edited by Everfresh; 07-27-2009 at 07:17 PM.

I expect more channels to be pulled soon, both Canwest and CTV said at CRTC hearings that the BDU's were threatening to pull distant signals instead of paying for them, they mentioned that Rogers said they would pull distant signals and use Video on Demand instead for timeshifting.

And now look what's happening, 3 distant signals that air Global programming are getting pulled, i'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that a huge amount of Global programming can be found on Rogers Video on Demand.

I guess Rogers doesn't care that some of their customers may enjoy watching primetime programming at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes and NTV. As long as they don't have to pay the stations for their content it doesn't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I guess Rogers doesn't care that some of their customers may enjoy watching primetime programming at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes and NTV. As long as they don't have to pay the stations for their content it doesn't matter!
    The Global channels on Rogers for me seem to align to the current time zone every time a new episode of a program is on. For example if Simpsons is on at 8 EST for Global Toronto, Global Maritimes to Global Vancouver also start at 8.

So there really no loss. Yet

Actually, Global Maritimes broadcasts 10:00PM programming at 8:00PM Atlantic Time, which is 7:00PM Eastern.

So anyone with Rogers who was once able to view 10:00PM shows at 7:00PM will no longer be able to.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-27-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    Beginning August 25th Rogers will drop Global Winnipeg, Global St. John's and NTV from it's cable line-up.

Edit: I believe this will only affect Rogers Digital Cable subscribers in Ontario
    That is Global Saint John, not St. John's. Saint John is the city in New Brunswick, St. John's is the capital of Newfoundland.

I really don't have a problem with it, there really is no need for anything besides your local station and one west station (ex. Global Toronto and BC) for Rogers subscribers anyway. Same goes for all cable companies.

Actually, Global Maritimes broadcasts 10:00PM programming at 8:00PM Atlantic Time, which is 7:00PM Eastern.

So anyone with Rogers who was once able to view 10:00PM shows at 7:00PM will no longer be able to.
    Well there always the Internet ;)...lol

Yes that's true (plus GlobalTV.com has full episodes of most Global series), not to mention Rogers on Demand Channel 100 offers tons of Global programming, so viewers wont miss any of their shows, it's just they will no longer be able to watch them early on Global Maritimes at 7:00PM.

So no it's not a huge loss, but one of the benefits of Global Maritimes and NTV is that you can view primetime series early.

Yes that's true (plus GlobalTV.com has full episodes of most Global series), not to mention Rogers on Demand Channel 100 offers tons of Global programming, so viewers wont miss any of their shows, it's just they will no longer be able to watch them early on Global Maritimes at 7:00PM.

So no it's not a huge loss, but one of the benefits of Global Maritimes and NTV is that you can view primetime series early.

It was more a joke on torrents, but that works .

But this would be a good test to see if anyone truly notices, but as i said before they seem to sync new shows up with the current timezone your in. It's only reruns or local shows that seem to follow the time zones that the local stations are broadcasting from. I've had shows that start at 8pm on Global Toronto broadcast at the same time on the Global Maritime channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It was more a joke on torrents, but that works .

But this would be a good test to see if anyone truly notices, but as i said before they seem to sync new shows up with the current timezone your in. It's only reruns or local shows that seem to follow the time zones that the local stations are broadcasting from. I've had shows that start at 8pm on Global Toronto broadcast at the same time on the Global Maritime channel.
    Ya I got that, I just thought I would add that GlobalTV.com has the full episodes legally.

Yes, shows that start at 8:00PM ET on Global Ontario will also air at 8:00PM ET on Global Maritimes, they do this so Global Maritimes can simulcast with the U.S. networks, it's the programming that airs at 10:00PM ET on Global Ontario that you can find at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes (example. Tonight I could have watched The Unit at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes, instead of waiting til 10:00PM ET for Global Ontario to air it)
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    That is Global Saint John, not St. John's. Saint John is the city in New Brunswick, St. John's is the capital of Newfoundland.

I really don't have a problem with it, there really is no need for anything besides your local station and one west station (ex. Global Toronto and BC) for Rogers subscribers anyway. Same goes for all cable companies.
    Kind of like SHAW Direct(formerly Starchoice)...just 2 Years ago they also dropped Global Maritimes!!!

Ya I got that, I just thought I would add that GlobalTV.com has the full episodes legally.

Yes, shows that start at 8:00PM ET on Global Ontario will also air at 8:00PM ET on Global Maritimes, they do this so Global Maritimes can simulcast with the U.S. networks, it's the programming that airs at 10:00PM ET on Global Ontario that you can find at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes (example. Tonight I could have watched The Unit at 7:00PM ET on Global Maritimes, instead of waiting til 10:00PM ET for Global Ontario to air it)

It seems to me that TVViewer could have taped the program for watching at
    any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post

NTV has a horrible signal. Right now I'm looking at a fuzzy video of NCIS
    and I'm certain some high school students could offer a better quality video.

The only time I've watched NTV was to watch Craig Ferguson--and even
    then, the program was blotchy in colour, substandard audio and unreliable
    start times for the transmission.

The station seems run more by the Stirlings' foibles than any real
    schedule. I mean, really, who wants to watch 4 hours of David Icke?

Your missing the point, the point is that with Global Maritimes and NTV you can view 10:00PM programming at 7:00PM, if you can't view these channels then it means you no longer get to watch shows early.

Yea NTV is pretty horrible quality, I never watch it unless it is showing a Global/E! show at a different time than Global or E!, and I missed it when it was originally on. In Plain Sight is an example.

NTV is My Link to Home

I have read the comments made by others about Rogers dropping NTV and some other channels and it seems that people are not feeling that it is a big loss. Well to me it is a big loss because NTV is my link to home. I don't care about timeshifting, to me that is not the point. I watch the NTV news to keep up with what is happening in my home province. I watch for their weather and news updates that take place during the day. I look forward to their coverage of local events such as the St. John's Regatta. When the helicopter crashed in March I shared in the sadness with my fellow Newfoundlanders by watching the coverage provided by NTV. I enjoy "Issues and Answers" on Sundays. This is such a loss to me and when I called Rogers about it they said nothing could be done. If anyone has any suggestions about who I could write at Rogers to air my concerns I would appreciate it. Can I be the only person who cares?

If enough people report to CRTC about NTV Re: Broadcast Standards (Picture Quality, etc) the station would probably clean up it's act. Enough people probably don't watch NTV as they have access to other local channels to watch hose programs on.

I'm sure NTV is not actually trying to have bad picture quality. I don't think the CRTC would be able to do much.

NTV has been running an announcement where they tell their Ontario viewers that the decision to drop the station is solely their cable provider's. They also urge people to contact their cable provider and complain.

I'm going to miss watching The Twilight Zone on NTV after Saturday Night Live.

NTV brings a smile to my wife.

My wife is a townie from St John's. This year her mom died in St John's at 88, RIP.

NTV news was a little ray sunshine that brought a smile to my grieving wife.

Yesterday I canceled my $100/month account at Rogers.

Rogers can SHAGG OFF.