Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Channel Zero and Classic TV

Looking over the current state of classic television in Canada and the 2 channels we currently receive (Dejaview, TV Land), I notice that neither channel has a very strong and diverse lineup of shows. I was thinking that Channel Zero might be a good fit for a channel devoted to classic television as they do currently operate a classic movie channel. I wonder if they would be interested, they wouldn't have to start a channel from scratch, they could just buy TV Land Canada from CTVGlobemedia. This doesn't appear to be a core channel for them so I think they would definitely sell if a good offer came along.

Channel Zero could offer a channel devoted to classic television from the 50's to the early 80's. You don't see many shows from the 50's & 60's these days and I think there is definitely an audience out there especially among the boomers. I would call it 'Small Screen Classics' and I think it would definitely fit with the other properties they currently own.

Thoughts?!
    Last edited by TVJunkie5; 08-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.

I personally don't see much of a chance of Canwest selling Dejaview, it's one of their easiest to operate speciality channels and pretty much rakes in the money. CTV might be inclined to sell TV Land as it might be part of their core assets. I could potentially see if Canwest goes bankrupt and CTV sells TV Land, TVLand could be dedicated to 80s and 90s TV and Dejaview could be 50s, 60s, 70s TV.

please SOMEBODY buy these stations ....

...AND GIVE US some classics ...
    MUNSTERS
    I DREAM OF JEANNIE
    BRADY BUNCH
    ADAM 12
    EMERGENCY 51
    GILLIGAN'S ISLAND
    CAR 54
    TIME TUNNEL
    LAND OF THE GIANTS
    BEWITCHED
    HOGAN'S HEROES
    ADDAMS FAMILY....

etc etc ...etc...

most of the shows on these channel's now are forever re-runnnnning!!

Enough of the CANUCK STUFF...most of them are ....

always liked forest rangers though...:o

any one have a FALL 09 DEJA VIEW / TV LAND LIST???

PLEASE POST OR PM MOI..
    THXS
    JAS

Dejaview and TV Land's schedule are available in the Oldies section of falltvpreview where you can also see the schedule of Drive-In Classics, MovieTime, and TVTropolis. To view the complete 24 hours schedule, click on the name of the channel on the primetime grid and you'll see a link pointing it.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

A Classic Sci Fi Channel or an All Sitcom Channel would be nice as well

Yes, Channel Zero has Silver Screen Classics...Small Screen Classics or RTV...that would be nice to have or here's one for Classic Sci Fi Fans...Time Warp Television...thats what I would name it if I owned such a network like that or as mentioned earlier...The Sitcom Channel...a great must for all us Canadians but I guess for now we can only Dream on eh?!!!

Imagine Shows like Time Tunnel, Star Trek, Buck Rogers, Lost in Space and Flash Gordon Movies if Time Warp television were in existance

And for Sitcoms Full House, Family Matters, Bob Newhart, Welcome Back Kotter, Kate and Allie...imagine that eh?!!! Only time will tell if we will ever see the future of these channels in the Future eh?!!!

What bugs me is when these old shows are ran so much so often an entire series is played out in a few months instead of playing them out as weekly shows like when they first ran. Teletoon retro is bad for that too, playing a show several times a day everyday until the series is run out in a matter of weeks. :(
    ________
    Yamaha Ttr50
    Last edited by HT Gearhead; 03-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    What bugs me is when these old shows are ran so much so often an entire series is played out in a few months instead of playing them out as weekly shows like when they first ran. Teletoon retro is bad for that too, playing a show several times a day everyday until the series is run out in a matter of weeks. :(

DITTO....AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    I have to agree with that...why must they run daily dozes of their programming for I may ask...My suggestion go to teletoon.com and click on Teletoon Retro and tell them about how tiring that gets!!! They'll have to listen sooner!!!

to be honnest, i prefer dejaview over tvland. At least they are showing more old shows than tvland canada. I only wish we could get the american version, but no such luck.

I wish i could see those again:

the golden girls
    growing pains
    family ties
    blossom
    full house
    bewitched
    batman(with adam west)
    Mission impossible
    melrose place(the old one)
    and many more.......

Imagine an all Canadian Network

Here's my idea for a Tv Network...

TVNORTH

Imagine the world of Canadian Shows like The Beachcombers, Romper Room, Razzle Dazzle, Danger Bay, Uncle Bobby, Seeing Things, Hangin' In, Ritters Cove, The Forset Rangers, Stars on Ice, For the Record and more all on One Network with a Canadian Perspective...but then again we all may as well Dream on cause that'll probably come about but we'll never know will we?!!!

TVNORTH

Imagine the world of Canadian Shows like The Beachcombers, Romper Room, Razzle Dazzle, Danger Bay, Uncle Bobby, Seeing Things, Hangin' In, Ritters Cove, The Forset Rangers, Stars on Ice, For the Record and more
    And what Canadian TV does best: news and history. So, the 1960s Front Page Challenge and Take 30. For drama, there was Seaway, Quentin Durgens, MP, and the 1972 miniseries The Whiteoaks of Jalna.

Some other shows were The Galloping Gourmet, George, The Irish Rovers, Lorne Greene's New Wilderness. The Forest Rangers were on APTN and Dejaview or TVLand not long ago. It has actually weathered very well. Adventures in Rainbow Country (lately in grainy reruns) was a bigger-budgeted "Rangers"-type show meant to be sold to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by amackenzie View Post
    And what Canadian TV does best: news and history. So, the 1960s Front Page Challenge and Take 30. For drama, there was Seaway, Quentin Durgens, MP, and the 1972 miniseries The Whiteoaks of Jalna.

Some other shows were The Galloping Gourmet, George, The Irish Rovers, Lorne Greene's New Wilderness. The Forest Rangers were on APTN and Dejaview or TVLand not long ago. It has actually weathered very well. Adventures in Rainbow Country (lately in grainy reruns) was a bigger-budgeted "Rangers"-type show meant to be sold to the US.
    And let us never forget The Lonesome Jubilee, Tommy Hunter, Swiss Family Robinson, The Last Frontier, Here Come the Seventies, The Untamed World, Live It Up, Northwood, The Flappers and My Favourites of all The Littlest Hobo, Kids Of Degrassi Street that alter followed by Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High then there was Danger Bay, Video Hits and Good Rockin' Tonite as well...I do hope in the future of Specialty Channels that we will see a channel that would air all that but for now all we can do is Dream on...oh ya I will never forget Lorne Greenes New Wilderness as well, a great program that went off the air shortly after the Death of Lorne Greene in 1987 and was replaced by the Last Frontier

Keep dreaming, that will never happen. Alot of these shows have aired on Dejaview & TV Land, as well as other specialty channels. Why would you want to have a channel full of Canadian shows, sooner or later it will get boring watching the same stuff over and over?!

I see Dejaview was one of the channels mentioned as being part of Canwest's filing for court protection. Excellent opportunity for Channel Zero to pick this one up cheap and finally bring Canadians a decent Retro TV channel! :)

RTN an Idea for Mozes Znaimer

I would be nice to see an over the air RTN Network offered in Canada just like it was when Barrie's CKVR used to do it!!! I can always picture Moses Znaimer launching one since He owns AM740 in Toronto and Classical 96.3Fm as well...both of which are aimed at ages 50 and up!!!