Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 75.00%
  • No

1 25.00%

Hybrid View

Canada Lacking in HD channels.

When I had Dish Network in early 2009, Every channel I noticed was in HD! VH1,MTV,Cartoon Network,Comedy Central,CMT....etc. Why isn't Canada licensed for HD networks. I would like to see HGTVHD, Food HD Teletoon HD,Family HD,Comedy Network HD....etc.

Now a lot of you people on here would say, hey, Family HD would make no sense that there are no HD kids shows. Oh, but theres Disney Channel HD? and why Comedy Network HD? Well that all newly taped Comedy Central show are now in HD.

If this were possible how many people on here would subscribe to channels that got an HD license?
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

I may be wrong but i dod think there is a fair amount of hd channels the crtc gave the green light to.However no dish or cable company as yet to pick them up.

Nearly all of those channels numba1killa listed have been approved to launch an HD channel by the CRTC. Broadcasters have not yet launched them, however I have a feeling it also has to do with the fact that the Canadain BDU's keep complaining that they don't have enough room

Some of CTV's approved but not yet launched HD channels include CTV News Channel HD, The Comedy Network HD, MTV HD, Star! HD, ect..

Canwest just recently got approved to launch HGTV HD, Food Network HD, Slice HD, History Television HD, and MovieTime HD.

Family HD is approved just not launched by Astral.

Canwest does plan to launch History Television HD this fall.

There is only one that I really want, Space HD. I would like to have Comedy Network HD too. The good thing is that if they ever are launched, Shaw Direct will probably offer them for free with subscription to Space and Comedy, which I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    The good thing is that if they ever are launched, Shaw Direct will probably offer them for free with subscription to Space and Comedy, which I already have.
    I don't think they would because they also offer Sportsnet HD but this is only

available with a HD Plus Subscription or something wherehas the SD service is available on basic cable.

Certain Canadian channels i.e YTV, TVO etc wouldn't have HD programing other than U.S programing. They wouldn't waste money on something that is knew to the world. HDTV as only been here since early 2002! and even then. There was know HD source until Star Choice started then Bell..etc

If CTV has licenses for those channels, dont you think they should re-lease them? Example Star HD was avail, Jimmy Fallon,Tonight Show ,The View...etc could be broadcast-ed in full HD.

But the downside of this is for and HD channel with only 2 or 4 HD show. i.e Comedy Network, they could only air The Daily show, Colbert report Tosh.0 and Comedy Central Presents ( haha CTV spends so much money on Canadians not to figure out that theres Comedy Central yet the air that.)

Anyway, if The simpsons were to air on there they would either up convert to HD and stretch it out or 4:3 it in and HD compressed. Which would make viewers un happy. i guess.

That's part of the reason why these channels have not yet launched, not enough HD programming, it doesn't make sense for a channel like Star! to go HD when the only HD programming they have is a few talk show encores. The same goes for channels such as The Comedy Network, not enough HD programming (as far as I know The Daily Show & The Colbert Report are not even in HD yet)

That is an excuse, they just don't want to launch them for whatever reason. Astral Media has launched HD simulcasts of almost all its channels- how much HD programming do each of these channels broadcast?! Also in the US most of the major specialty channels have launched HD versions, I am quite sure that a good chunk of their schedule is not in HD but they still went ahead and launched the HD simulcast. I think at the very least their should be HD versions of the following popular specialty channels:

Food Network
    HGTV
    History Television
    Dusk (Scream)
    Space
    The Comedy Network

CTV has access to the entire Comedy Central library and Comedy Central HD has launched in the US, so there should be quite a bit of HD programming that they could broadcast if they wanted to. Canadian broadcasters are just dragging their feet because of the nice monopoly they have and won't be bothered to launch any HD channels until the last possible moment. The number of HD subscribers is still relatively low overall so that may factor into their decision as well. As for the 'not enough space' issue, why don't they get rid of the SD feed once they launch an HD feed?! The reason there is no room is probably because of all the duplication, why do you need both SD and HD feeds?!