Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Showcase Unveils New Logo, On-Air Look, and huge marketing campaign!

Showcase Unveils Striking New Branding
    Powerful new logo, on-air look, marketing campaign and programming debut

TORONTO, August 28, 2009 – Beginning August 31, Showcase – Canada’s prime specialty television destination for dramatic entertainment – launches a bold new logo and on-air look as well as a national consumer marketing campaign. The campaign coincides with a Fall schedule jam-packed with top-rated network dramas, hit blockbuster movies and the best exclusive cable programs.

Over the last year Showcase has evolved its programming strategy to include more hit series such as House and Numb3rs and more popular movie titles, which has resulted in strong growth. With the addition of Bones – made available for the first time in strip – NCIS and a new season of Weeds, the evolution of Showcase culminates this Fall, supported by all-new branding and an extensive campaign that underscores the channel’s enthusiasm for top programming. With the objective of broadening its appeal among both men and women, the new Showcase will be positioned as the home of bold hits.

Showcase’s new logo and on-air look reflect the channel’s big and bold sensibility. The logo has shed its dark feel for a design that is clean, contemporary, and like the new programming, too big to be contained. The logo’s distinctive new shape and motion anchors all of the on-air elements, from station ID bugs to advertiser billboards. And while the new look uses a dramatic new colour scheme, the logo’s clear and monolithic presence enables it to stand out anywhere.

“The inspiration for Showcase’s logo and on-air look came from the channel’s versatile and top-notch roster of content,” said Kevin Watson, Creative Director, Canwest Broadcasting. “With that in mind we were able to conceptualize and produce branding that is a direct reflection of the channel itself – bold, adaptable and larger than life.”
    Major Fall advertising campaign

To introduce the new brand and schedule to viewers, Showcase is launching a striking multi-media promotional campaign. Targeting adults 25-54 primarily in Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, London and Kitchener, the extensive four week campaign will reach new and current viewers through on-air, out of home, radio, print, IPG and online advertising.

With the overall message that “Showcase is the home of bold hits” the campaign centres on three top television properties, Weeds, House and Bones, and blockbuster movie titles, but is designed to celebrate the new logo – making it the focal point in all print, on-air and out-of-home efforts. Throughout the various creative executions, the logo embodies characteristics of the promoted shows in surprising and unique ways. For example, out of home and print advertisements promoting Weeds feature an image of the series’ star Mary-Louise Parker paired with the new logo in a plastic baggy meant to resemble a bag of weed. For House, star Hugh Laurie is paired with the Showcase logo made out of prescription pills.

“With this new branding we are cementing Showcase’s position as a powerhouse of dramatic content. The updates build on the channel’s legacy and trademark sense of humour while propelling it to the next level by making the brand bigger and bolder. The Fall campaign captures the playfulness and clever nature of the channel that makes us so popular with consumers and advertisers alike,” said Muriel Solomon, Vice President, Marketing Strategy, Specialty, Canwest Broadcasting.
    Two unique creative executions

Showcase’s out of home efforts also include a subway domination at Toronto’s St. George Station. From pillars to stairs and platform posters, over 100 pieces of specially designed creative will promote the new logo, Weeds, House, Bones and big-ticket movie titles such as Pursuit of Happyness and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

As a unique component to the out-of-home portion of the campaign, Showcase is bringing the creative to life with three-dimensional vertical billboards of the print creative at multiple locations across Toronto.

The online accompaniment to the channel, showcase.ca will be updated to provide more content and reflect the refreshed bold attitude. Plans for showcase.ca include more full episode streaming of popular dramas, access to behind-the-scenes footage and exclusive webisodes of Showcase originals, show-specific sites and the Showcase blog – a creative daily take on the worlds of TV, film, gaming and all things pop culture.

Showcase’s new logo and on-air look were designed entirely in house by Canwest’s award-winning Creative Agency. Media buying was handled by Canwest’s internal Media Strategy team.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.

I hate it already.

I don't see how showing endless re-runs of House and Bones is 'bold'. Lazy, more like!

I hope they didn't pay any more than $50 for that new logo, there's about 30 minutes design work at best gone into that. :D

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I hope they didn't pay any more than $50 for that new logo, there's about 30 minutes design work at best gone into that. :D
    It took me about 5 minutes just to recreate their logo from scratch on Illustrator. What does that say about Canwest?

As long as people like watching reruns on Showcase, Canwest will still air reruns on Showcase.

Reruns of hit shows are what people want to watch, the ratings prove this. Some of you seem to forget that the goal of television stations is to get high ratings.

Canwest wants Showcase to be home of bold hits, and that's exactly what their fall schedule has, hit cable series, reruns of hit conventioanl series, blockbuster movies, and original series.

Look at USA Network in the U.S., it's the #1 cable network, making tons of money, and doing so well it's actually competitive with the big 4 networks (and already beating The CW), what does USA Network air? reruns of hit conventional series, blockbuster movies, and original series.

As for the logo, wait til you see the print ads and on-air promos before you judge, I have seen both and not only do the on-air promos look good, but the print ads they have are really clever and funny.

Look at USA Network in the U.S., it's the #1 cable network, making tons of money, and doing so well it's actually competitive with the big 4 networks (and already beating The CW), what does USA Network air? reruns of hit conventional series, blockbuster movies, and original series.
    You are correct but there is one big difference- USA Network has a string of hit ORIGINAL series, where are Showcase's original series?! The Original programming they air was created by Alliance Atlantis, what have they produced since they bought the channel?! I see original programming from Global (which doesn't count) and a show called Testees, that's it! If you want to compare yourself with USA Network, you have to have a comparable lineup which means lots of original programming of which I see very little. ;)

Oh and the logo is a piece of crap IMO. I don't see what is wrong with the current one. As others have stated it was created in a few minutes time which tells you that no effort went into it. What's bold about their programming- House and NCIS are bold- I don't think so! You want bold check out HBO or Showtime programming or something like The Shield from FX not these stupid network shows that they have imported from Global.

Canwest has 2 original series for Showcase this fall, and has 4 original series in production for Showcase. Sure they air original programming that was originally developed by Alliance Atlantis, but when Canwest took over new episodes were produced under Canwest, would you have rather had Canwest cancel all the series AA developed? It's a good thing that Canwest kept many of the AA series for Showcase in production!

So now that it's understood that Showcase actually does have original programming (with 4 new series on the way!) I once again compare it to USA Network, both have reruns of hit conventional series (House and NCIS reruns air on USA Network and get huge ratings!), blockbuster movies, and oringinal programming.

Just because House and Bones are network shows doesn't mean they are not bold, and it's very clear that both shows are huge hits.

Once again, the goal of television networks is to get high ratings, something you and some other posters here don't seem to understand, Showcase has a schedule full of hit series and blockbuster movies, it's ratings have gone up since Canwest took control.

And as I already said, wait til you see the print and on-air ads for Showcase before you judge the new logo, they actually look very good
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Canwest has 2 original series for Showcase this fall, and has 4 original series in production for Showcase. Sure they air original programming that was originally developed by Alliance Atlantis, but when Canwest took over new episodes were produced under Canwest, would you have rather had Canwest cancel all the series AA developed? It's a good thing that Canwest kept many of the AA series for Showcase in production!
    Interesting, I was not aware that they are producing so many new series. This is what I am talking about, producing new, original content of there own, not importing series from other channels like Global or foreign stuff. The mark of a quality specialty network is how much original content it produces.

As for the AA shows, it doesn't matter if they continued to produce new episodes, these shows were not created by Canwest.

Once again, the goal of television networks is to get high ratings, something you and some other posters here don't seem to understand,
    You seem to be somewhat confused- Showcase is a specialty channel not a network. Specialty channels make money off subscriptions (not ratings) whereas networks rely on advertising. Ratings should not factor into the equation at all with specialty channels because people pay a fee every month to watch these services.

I am interested in quality programming, niche programming that is specific to the channel based on the genre it is supposed to be serving. Showcase is licensed to air content from around the world not the US, here is the nature of service:

Showcase will offer an all-fiction programming service consisting of the best of independently-produced movies, drama, comedy and mini-series from Canada and around the world. In addition, 95% of the programming broadcast by Showcase shall have been produced outside the United States.
    It clearly is not adhering to its nature of service, many of the shows it airs are from the US, what does it air 'from around the world'?! The problem here is the current model deployed in Canada- that of selling channels in packages, theme packs where the BDU selects what channels comprise the package. If subscribers were allowed to select the channels they were interested in subscribing to then things would be very different. Broadcasters would have to air what people want to see not what they want or what supposedly gets high ratings. Ratings are irrelevant when subscriptions come into play. take TMN, people pay a premium for that service therefore they put together a schedule that appeals to their subscribers. Perhaps its time for the a la carte model to be put into place. Sure you will end up paying more per channel but you will not be forced to subscribe to channels that you don't want nor watch. It would also result in better, higher quality programming because if people are not happy they will simply drop the channel and stop paying for it. A la carte would also get rid of some of the channels that don't have broad appeal and the only reason they exist is because of this packaging system whereby all channels in a package get a piece of the pie regardless of whether anyone is watching them.
    Last edited by TVJunkie5; 08-28-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    It took me about 5 minutes just to recreate their logo from scratch on Illustrator. What does that say about Canwest?
    This again... The simplicity of a logo has NOTHING to do with the quality of a logo. Just because you can recreate a logo in 5 minutes does not mean no thought was put into it. I can recreate the CBS logo in 30 seconds. Does that mean it's a shit logo that someone whipped up in 5 minutes? Absolutely not.

That said, the new Showcase logo is garbage.

Original Series on USA since we're comparing ...

Monk
    Psych
    Burn Notice
    Royal Pains
    In Plain Sight
    Law & Order Criminal Intent
    White Collar (new in October)

Then there is TNT ...

Leverage
    The Closer
    Raising the Bar
    Hawthorne
    Saving Grace
    Dark Blue
    Men of Certain Age

And of course FX ...

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Sons of Anarchy
    Rescue Me
    Nip/Tuck
    Damages
    The Riches (cancelled tho)
    30 Days

Granted, these cable channels have a much larger audience and budget than anything on the Canadian dial. But since Canada really only has Showcase airing that caliber of programming they really could focus more on airing the shows from USA/TNT/FX since some of that programming doesn't get aired here .. well SuperChannel is airing some but I'm kinda against paying a premium for a channel that is airing basic cable fare from other countries for the most part.

What are the "new" Showcase originals?

Showcase is in the top 10 specialty channels, it's ratings are growing, most of it's subscribers are happy and watching. There is no way any network can make every single viewer happy. And ratings don't and never will mean nothing, you need ratings for advertisers, it doesn't matter how many subscribers you have if nobody is actually watching.

the Showcase originals currently in development are:

Shattered (1 hour drama)
    Lawyers Guns and Money (1 hour drama)
    Lost Girl (1 hour drama)
    Pure Pawnage (half hour comedy)

I'm very happy that Showcase is developing new shows, long may it continue. Agreed, hits like House and Bones will get high ratings (and keep the advertisers happy) in the short term, until we start to see the same episodes repeated over and over - episodes we've already seem on other stations.

I think it's called overkill!

Showcase originals on the fall schedule:

The Foundation
    Crash & Burn
    Kenny vs. Spenny

I've posted two presentations that used the logo, one made out of pills for the promotion of House and the other is the logo looking like weed in a ziplock bag for the promotion of Weeds.

Although my initial reaction to the bland black and white colored logo is like most of you here, if they use stuff like the two above examples across their onair look, maybe it won't be so bad.

Check out the two examples
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

The Weeds and House on-air promos use the same graphics used in the print ads, like I said view the print and on-air ads before you judge the Showcase logo, I think most will like what they see.

Sorry I still don't like it, the ads will make no difference to me. If they wanted a new look then why not also adopt a new name for the channel- let the 'Showcase' brand RIP?! You have new owners that supposedly want to take the channel in a new direction, fine then change the name as well. Corus is not afraid to do so, Scream will be a memory in a couple of weeks, replaced by Dusk. I guess that is probably to expensive for a bankrupt company like Canwest so they just took the cheap route and created a new crappy logo instead.;)

I still would like to know why the 'Showcase' name was dropped from Action channel but was retained for Diva?? Why not rename Showcase Diva as 'Diva', what's the reason for keeping the connection to Showcase?!

So every network that updates it's logo and changes it's programming a bit needs a new name? There is nothing wrong with the Showcase name, Canwest is not completely changing the channel, they are just making it better, it's getting a refresh not a re-brand.

As for why Showcase Diva is keeping the Showcase brand, I think it more has to do with Action branching out on it's own, Showcase Diva is still pretty much Showcase with a female skew, Action doesn't really air any Showcase series anymore. There is little connection with Showcase and Action, where there is still connection with Showcase and Showcase Diva
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-28-2009 at 07:42 PM.

So every network that updates it's logo and changes it's programming a bit needs a new name?
    YES, they are changing the focus of the channel so in order to make the change complete they should adopt a new name. The 'new' Showcase is not the same as the one that existed under AA so I don't see the reason for retaining the name- its not the same channel!

Take Scream for example, Corus changed the focus of the channel by removing horror and replacing it with supernatural programming. As a result of this they had to change the name because 'Scream' doesn't fit with the new focus of the channel since it no longer airs horror-themed programming.
    Last edited by TVJunkie5; 08-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJunkie5 View Post
    YES, they are changing the focus of the channel so in order to make the change complete they should adopt a new name. The 'new' Showcase is not the same as the one that existed under AA so I don't see the reason for retaining the name- its not the same channel!

Take Scream for example, Corus changed the focus of the channel by removing horror and replacing it with supernatural programming. As a result of this they had to change the name because 'Scream' doesn't fit with the new focus of the channel since it no longer airs horror-themed programming.
    Scream doesn't fit well with supernatural programming, that's why it's changing. Showcase is still a popular brand, just because they are adding more hits to the station doesn't mean they should change the name.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Showcase is still a popular brand, just because they are adding more hits to the station doesn't mean they should change the name.
    CanWest changed Showcase's focus TOO MUCH.

Before, you could watch shows on FOX, CW, ABC, NBC, CBS, CTV, Global from 8pm to 10pm, then you switch to Showcase for high quality cable series every night at 10pm.

Now look at the fall schedule: Bones at 10pm, House at 11pm! Movies on mondays and tuesdays 8pm to 10pm so showcase won't compete with Global, wednesdays 8pm to 10pm has Showcase originals competing with CTV and Global (Hello!!!! There are limits to PVR! How do you expect me to watch Showcase during peak hours? Idiots!), thursdays and fridays have reruns of old series (Da Vinci City Hall & The Best Years)... all gay/lesbian series are competely out of the schedule, a portion of fridays without borders apparently moved to IFC...

Gawd, it SUCKS. Canwest doesn't give me a chance to watch their channel !

Showcase will introduce new branding to coincide with a schedule fuelled by an unprecedented number of off-pay movie premieres, the best collection of popular network series and breakout cable dramas.
    What the hell is Wife Swap (weekdays 3pm) doing in the schedule?

You say people want to watch reruns. Bones and NCIS and House already airs/aired on Diva and Mystery. How do you expect me to WANT TO subscribe to Showcase when they are already on other canwest specialties?

Originality: 1/10. One on ten. This is only for the new upcoming canadian series. Otherwise, the new Showcase sucks.