Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Spike HD and KTLAHD

Any word yet on the release of these 2 channels to Bell TV. I don't know if Canada has a license for Spike HD. But for KTLAHD there's word that it was supposed to be released on August 12th.
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

It seems there is always some carriage contracts concerning new services. Carriage rate vs. potential subscriber base.

The KTLA-SD service has been available for a number of years in Canada. First as a premium service then later included with digital basic service.
    I believe since 1992 in Canada. I know that Shaw has only added WGN-HD within the past year or so.

All the CW programs that are aired on Global SD will no doubt be simulcated on KTLA-HD from Global-HD West (Vancouver CHAN, Global BC)

In the eyes of Shaw. They already offer WGN-HD. They would see no need for KTLA-HD as most of the CW programming is already available.

I dont have Shaw, but on BellTV theres an WGN-HD. But there was word on a release of KTLA-HD. But CBS College Sports took channel 841.

Just curious numba1killa, do you live in an area where simsubs are required by law? If not, is there a reason why you don't switch to Shaw Direct? There won't be any simsubs on Shaw Direct if you live outside the required area, unlike with Bell TV.

Although I can't answer for numba1, I can tell you that I am moving to Bell TV despite the simsub issue because the selection of HD channels that Shaw carries is laughable. No Global, CITY TV, West feeds of CTV or CBC ... No Score or Raptors HD ... etc.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with that, but Global, Citytv and CTV do not air any HD programming that isn't already available (usually simultaneously, of course) on the US networks Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS. The one exception I believe is CTV National News which just recently got upgraded to HD. But the lack of a western CBC HD feed could be a valid problem though.

As for The Score and Raptors HD I'm not entirely sure, but I know that a lot of basketball, hockey, tennis and golf are broadcast in HD on either of the main four US networks. Very few Canadian homegrown sports events (except for when involving the Raptors and some NHL hockey) are aired in HD because that would require CTV or Global to arrange for the HD setup instead of just hijacking the US network's signal. But there would probably indeed be several HD programs you can only get through The Score.
    Last edited by Simsub_hater; 09-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simsub_hater View Post
    Just curious numba1killa, do you live in an area where simsubs are required by law? If not, is there a reason why you don't switch to Shaw Direct? There won't be any simsubs on Shaw Direct if you live outside the required area, unlike with Bell TV.
    I get bell TV cuz I work for it. If I could i would switch to Shaw but there HD is embarrassing and there satellite dish is too bulky and stupid. I live in a small city in Ontario. . 87300 people. we have between Shaw and Bell. what desisons. but good thing is is that we live close to Sault Sainte Marie michigan so i can get OTA US channels!
    Last edited by numba1killa; 09-16-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Just noticed that KTLA-TV has an updated logo! Well, it's not really that new, but it's new for 2009! They brought back the vintage "5" on-screen logo. Off topic, but thought it was worth a mention. Also noticed that they now have a newscast 1:00pm. Also, WPIX-TV logo got an update recently. I am guessing Tribune wanted to update their two biggest stations...
    Last edited by IMissBCTV; 10-15-2009 at 02:23 AM.