Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

CityNews Channel

So, now that they've got their new building, with its very impressive news facilities, next up on the list of things is "CityNews Toronto", the 24h news channel they've promised.

They've been very, very quiet about it since it was approved by the CRTC. I wonder when they're planning on making a go of it. (I hope soon, since I can't stand CP24 anymore.)

A news story done by CityNews itself had said 2009, but it's already September and no word yet on an announcement, so if one isn't made sometime relativly soon I'm guessing, I'd say early 2010 if they haven't abandoned the idea of launching it which I assume they haven't.

I'm interested to see how it turns out though, I wouldn't expect to many big things out of it since it's only going to be a digital channel, so a lot of simulcasts of CITY-TV I'm guessing and probably repeats. So in the end, if that's what it will end up as, I'd say why bother launching it. But i guess we won't know until we see it.

On Rogers cable i can see it landing on either; Channel 1 or Channel 58 seeing that they air rogers stuff like weather and some video clips.

Yes, CityNews Toronto's license is digital, but the cable carriers can put it wherever they want. Channel 236 wouldn't cut it, so I can't see Rogers putting it there. (I'm in Cogeco territory, and unfortunately, I can't see them picking it up.)

Channel 1 would be ideal, but it would confuse the hell out of people. Historically, TV starts at Channel 2. For many people, TV starts at Channel 3. (Many people skip over TVO by default.)

The real problem, however, is getting people to switch. CP24 has embedded itself in the mind as Toronto's 24 hour news. (That's why CTV wanted it.) All kinds of stores and bars even have TVs tuned to it. A real publicity campaign would be needed, including representatives going around to businesses to convince them to switch their public screens.

As for content, perhaps they could get some synergy going with SportsNet and G4. I would LOVE a daily gaming/computer newscast, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    Channel 1 would be ideal, but it would confuse the hell out of people. Historically, TV starts at Channel 2. For many people, TV starts at Channel 3. (Many people skip over TVO by default.)

The real problem, however, is getting people to switch. CP24 has embedded itself in the mind as Toronto's 24 hour news. (That's why CTV wanted it.) All kinds of stores and bars even have TVs tuned to it. A real publicity campaign would be needed, including representatives going around to businesses to convince them to switch their public screens.
    Unless you change the power on settings, the Roger cable boxes defaults to Channel 1 if you turn off the box and then turn it back on. Good way to promote the channel. And if there one thing Rogers know how-to do, it's to promote their brands.

As for content, perhaps they could get some synergy going with SportsNet and G4. I would LOVE a daily gaming/computer newscast, if possible.
    I would think so. Citytv was the central point of the CHUM Media group with its TV and Radio properties and i can see Rogers doing the same thing with their properties .

That is sorta already covered. Both City and G4 air "EP Daily", produced by Greedy Productions in Vancouver. Greedy has an output deal directly with Rogers. I imagine that it'll wind up there IF it get's to air.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCalgary View Post
    That is sorta already covered. Both City and G4 air "EP Daily", produced by Greedy Productions in Vancouver. Greedy has an output deal directly with Rogers. I imagine that it'll wind up there IF it get's to air.
    I can see "EP Daily" and "Reviews on the Run" airing on the Citynews Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Unless you change the power on settings, the Roger cable boxes defaults to Channel 1 if you turn off the box and then turn it back on.
    In that case, it might be unwise to put it on 1.

Cable system information is reasonable for the power-on default, but I would imagine the other news channels would find some anti-trust issue with making CityNews the default channel.

In that case, it might be unwise to put it on 1.

Cable system information is reasonable for the power-on default, but I would imagine the other news channels would find some anti-trust issue with making CityNews the default channel.

They use the channel to promote digital channels when available, but it mostly advertises rogers stuff with a layout equal to CP24 except where the weather and news ticker should be, its noting more than static ads but they have a live video feed in another box of more rogers ads.

But CTV may cry foul over it, as always when they get competition they cry to the CRTC.

It was said to have launched in the Fall. But that was also said when Citytv was expected to move in March. Though there have been repeated mentions of this channel launching I think Citytv just wanted to get into their new home. So though they haven't hinted at a launch date I'm thinking it'll be in 2010. I can't see CityNews Channel being a channel I'll watch often. It'll be a great alternative at first though. CP24 has marketed themselves like crazy. Heck they even sent out a reporter to point out streetcars with their logo on it. Every time I drive down the street I see a billboard or a TTC bus plastered with CP24 logos. Rogers was supposed to own a stake of CP24 but they withdrew that plan when they said they were going to launch CityNews Channel. So of course CTV is using this time to wipe out the competition before the competition has a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    It was said to have launched in the Fall. But that was also said when Citytv was expected to move in March. Though there have been repeated mentions of this channel launching I think Citytv just wanted to get into their new home. So though they haven't hinted at a launch date I'm thinking it'll be in 2010. I can't see CityNews Channel being a channel I'll watch often. It'll be a great alternative at first though. CP24 has marketed themselves like crazy. Heck they even sent out a reporter to point out streetcars with their logo on it. Every time I drive down the street I see a billboard or a TTC bus plastered with CP24 logos. Rogers was supposed to own a stake of CP24 but they withdrew that plan when they said they were going to launch CityNews Channel. So of course CTV is using this time to wipe out the competition before the competition has a chance!

Rogers would probably buy every ad space that is available. Even if that means their going to use some unorthodox methods of advertising.

Rogers would probably buy every ad space that is available. Even if that means their going to use some unorthodox methods of advertising.
    I respect Mark Dailey but I can't hear his deep voice every second of every day. And I don't know about you people in the Toronto area or even outside of the Toronto area. But Citytv/CityNews is currently running ads and actual full length stories on televisions at Pizza Pizza restaurants. They'll have the logo on the screen, headlines, and then run stories that aren't time sensitive thar aired a few days before. It keeps repeating itself every 3 minutes at the restaurant. They really are trying to stress that they are "Everywhere". I remember 3 years ago they bought ad space on an arm at a parking lot downtown Toronto too.

If and when Rogers launches CityNews Channel, Rogers may relaunch 680 News with an audio simulcast of CityNews Channel, as CityNews Radio 680 similar to what CTV is doing with CP24, in which they drop the oldies on 1050 CHUM and replaced it with an all-news format as CP24 Radio 1050.
    Last edited by AlexRampaul; 09-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.

I respect Mark Dailey but I can't hear his deep voice every second of every day. And I don't know about you people in the Toronto area or even outside of the Toronto area. But Citytv/CityNews is currently running ads and actual full length stories on televisions at Pizza Pizza restaurants. They'll have the logo on the screen, headlines, and then run stories that aren't time sensitive thar aired a few days before. It keeps repeating itself every 3 minutes at the restaurant. They really are trying to stress that they are "Everywhere". I remember 3 years ago they bought ad space on an arm at a parking lot downtown Toronto too.
    Word of mouth is the best way to promote something. Methods like this are often employed by hiring actors to go out as normal people and talk about something so people can overhear. It's a dirty trick, but it works.

As well they can promote the channel heavily on BT which the stations gets most of its viewers from.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRampaul View Post
    If and when Rogers launches CityNews Channel, Rogers may relaunch 680 News with an audio simulcast of CityNews Channel, as CityNews Radio 680 similar to what CTV is doing with CP24, in which they drop the oldies on 1050 CHUM and replaced it with an all-news format as CP24 Radio 1050.
    I hope not

I don't know about you but CTV has been critisized heavily for putting CP24 on the radio. It would be one thing if the stations shared anchors. As you can tell the anchors still regularly forget that they are on the radio. The reason why CP24 converted the station was because of the competition with 680 News. But despite it being innovative it's also cheaper for the company and the reviews are bad. Currently 680 News is Toronto's only live radio station 24/7 and Canada's most listened to radio station. Unless that changes and 680 News becomes a flop I think Rogers can be content that they are quite fine!

I don't know about you but CTV has been critisized heavily for putting CP24 on the radio. It would be one thing if the stations shared anchors. As you can tell the anchors still regularly forget that they are on the radio. The reason why CP24 converted the station was because of the competition with 680 News. But despite it being innovative it's also cheaper for the company and the reviews are bad. Currently 680 News is Toronto's only live radio station 24/7 and Canada's most listened to radio station. Unless that changes and 680 News becomes a flop I think Rogers can be content that they are quite fine!

Any bets on when CTV destroys CP24?

Seriously? Why destroy a solid all-news radio station in Toronto with a audio feed of the new CityNews channel? It's like winning the lottery and wasting all of the money on more lottery tickets and not winning a thing.

Rogers would not turn 680 News into an audio version of CityNews Channel. 680 News is very popular, and like artudo123 said, 680 News is Canada's most listened to radio station. Do you think Rogers is going to overhaul a station like that, in this way. I don't.

CTVgm dropped 1050 CHUM in favour of CP24 Radio 1050 because I believe 1050 CHUM was having trouble with viewers and financially, so CP24 Radio format would cut costs on that station dramatically.

I don't doubt there will some cross-promotion and programming between 680 News and CityNews Channel, for example, Rogers may stick a camera in the station and tape it for the channel during popular radio programs that don't compete with BT, CityNews at 6, 11, etc, but that would pretty much be it. I doubt you'll see CityNews at 6 or any other Citytv program on 680 News.

Any bets on when CTV destroys CP24?
    I believe the ratings have gone up for CP24 and for good reason. I actually prefer CP24 Breakfast over BT and I love tuning in during the day for up to the second news. So I don't think the station is a flop. But converting 1050 CHUM to CP24 Radio was the worst ever. I'm in my car and put CP24 Radio 1050 on and I hear "As you can see we have a cold front coming in". And I react "OMG where is it? What does it look like? Am I going to die?" and then hear "Chris Potter CP24". And I go "Oh that's just the weather". Like come on!

I just had a idea to get viewers over. Why not launch a HD Citynews Channel as well? They have the equipment and it would certainly attract viewers with HDTVs to come over. If CTV would compete, it would take them sometime to upgrade CP24, but just enough time to help promote the Citynews channel.