Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Who is going to buy A Channel

Alright guys, it's been quite some time now and we don't know anything. Who do you think is going to buy the A Channels once Bell GlobeMedia puts them up for sale?

I can only see Quebecor buying them to build on a SUN TV network. I think it would be better for a company that holds stations in other parts of the country to buy the A-Channels like Jim Pattison who has a few stations in BC and one in Alberta to buy them so they can build on a new semi-national network, it kinda seems pointless for a company that already holds stations in Ontario to buy them, it will look like a Ontario network. I mean here in the Tri-Cities we are already receiving 2 A-Channels on analogue already (Barrie/London).

I think Rogers or Quebecor will buy them. I think that Quebecor is more likely as they already have SUN TV and have the rights to a few american shows. Plus SUN TV and CTV kinda have a friendship (CTV sometimes sells SUN TV shows that they don't have room to air)

I can't see Jim Pattison buying the A Channel's as all the stations he owns air programming from other networks, what programming will A Channel air?

It's true I really don't see Pattison buying the A-Channels at all but I think it would be better for a company that has stations in other parts of the country to buy them and create a some what semi-national network because there are already 5 stations in Ontario already and they seem to be overlapping themselves too, like I said here in Kitchener we have the Barrie and London stations on analogue cable, now I don't know whether both are over-the-air here or if Rogers just placed one or both of them on cable (highly unlikely cause I would see no reason for Rogers to do that) but none the less we still have both of them, and maybe its like that in parts of Ontario as well. So it's looking very much like a Ontario network and I think it would be better to grow it across the country not just in Ontario.

But hypothetically if Pattison was to buy them they could fill the schedule with programming; for example when CHUM sold Toronto 1 to Quebecor, Toronto 1/SUN TV still had programming to fill its schedule so I guess the same thing would prolly happen to the A-Channels when they're sold.

I heard corus might buy it you know the people with CMT and YTV and all. I heard they might want to venture into the local channels i dont know how true it is. I hope Quebecor doesnt buy SUNTV I hated SUNTV since its existance its barley better than Toronto One. SUNTV has the worst shows since they get the left overs from CTV Global Citytv A-Channel and OMNI one and two. ..

Pattison has already said they don't want the A-Channel network, they may have a slight interest in A-Channel Victoria but don't want the others.

There is even talk of letting some of them shut down if buyers cannot be found.

The fact is, the buyer would have a very limited selection of programming available to them since Canwest and BGM will buy up so much of it before the new owner would have a chance to get anything. Leaving little but scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Pattison has already said they don't want the A-Channel network, they may have a slight interest in A-Channel Victoria but don't want the others.

There is even talk of letting some of them shut down if buyers cannot be found.

The fact is, the buyer would have a very limited selection of programming available to them since Canwest and BGM will buy up so much of it before the new owner would have a chance to get anything. Leaving little but scraps.
    Yep. A Channel will be left with nothing as soon as CHUM leaves them. They wont be able to buy anything and I would not be surprised if they were shut down.

It'll be a long process as the CRTC and Bell (now CTVglobemedia) have yet to meet over the application. The fallout will be interesting...the A-Channel system could be spun off to Astral Media...or perhaps even Rogers--Omni?...whoever gets them will have to have deep pockets to fight over programming with CanWest and CTV...
    "Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill..."

Doesn't Corus alreay own CHEX and CKWS seems like the Ontario A-channels would be a good fit. Then if as in another forum as speculation Shaw is sold piece meal, Astral could then end up with all the Corus broadcast assets. The end play in all this will be interesting.

I guess SUN TV is not interested.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No...b2007-14.htm#5

or they are trying to muddy the waters and drive the price down.

Whoever it is, I hope it's someone who doesn't have any tv stations to begin with or someone who doesn't have anymore stations in Ontario (theres enough of the A-Channels in Ontario as it is, anymore stations would just be overlapping eachother and who needs that).