Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Anne Marie Mediwake Has Quit

So as some of you may know Anne Marie Mediwake left yesterday to focus more on her family. But do people think there could be more to this story?

This is news to me obviously. It's possible there may be more to this story. That all depends on how the announcement was made. Given the topic of your thread, the word "quit" could imply numerous things.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    This is news to me obviously. It's possible there may be more to this story. That all depends on how the announcement was made. Given the topic of your thread, the word "quit" could imply numerous things.
    I use the word quit because that's essentially what it is. Sure you could use the word "resign" or "leaving for personal reasons". However they announced it on the newscast last night. It wasn't like Dave Devall of CTV where they did a countdown. She said she was leaving to focus on her family. I realize triplets are a handful but I can't imagine her handing up this spot had she'd been with a more financially stable network. Canwest is likely to be looking for any kind of savings possible. I think it's been proven that Leslie is more than capable of handling a 1-hour newscast alone. So though I don't know anything I assume talks went on behind the scenes that guaranteed Mediwake some cash but that the company would save a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    I use the word quit because that's essentially what it is. Sure you could use the word "resign" or "leaving for personal reasons". However they announced it on the newscast last night. It wasn't like Dave Devall of CTV where they did a countdown. She said she was leaving to focus on her family. I realize triplets are a handful but I can't imagine her handing up this spot had she'd been with a more financially stable network. Canwest is likely to be looking for any kind of savings possible. I think it's been proven that Leslie is more than capable of handling a 1-hour newscast alone. So though I don't know anything I assume talks went on behind the scenes that guaranteed Mediwake some cash but that the company would save a tad.
    I would more or less go with what you've posted, even though I didn't know anything about her departure to begin with. But for sure, more than anything at this point, it would appear that Canwest is continuing to find ways to cut costs.

Anne-Marie Mediwake is leaving to spend time with her baby triplets, which is understandable and very common, lots of mothers want to stay home and watch their children grow up. Job security is not why she left (her husband still works at Global) and Canwst didn't make her leave to cut costs (Leslie will be getting a replacement co-anchor)

If she wanted to continue anchoring and didn't feel that her job was safe at Global (even though it was) or Global wanted her to leave she would have found a job at another station, that's not the case, she's staying home to watch her kids grow up, and it's not saving Global any money as they plan to hire a replacement.

I will say, I was nothing short of stunned when I heard about Anne Marie's departure. I enjoyed seeing her grow and develop over the years. If you recall, she initially joined Leslie on the 5:30 and 6:00 pm news casts hosting her "In sight" segment and anchoring Global News at Noon. She was not forced out - she was what made the News Hour different (look at her equivalents - Anne Mroczkowski, Christine Bentley and Diana Swain).

I do wonder who will replace her - I hope it is not Carolyn MacKenzie ... Carolyn does better anchoring solo, then co-anchoring.

Global should get back Robin Gill or even locate Sarika Sehgal out of her hibernation.

Actually, there IS more to this story.
    Anne Marie WAS let go partly for cost reasons, and she was offered a reporter job...Anne Marie refused.
    However, don't despair AM fans - she'll be seen on the CBC later this fall (after the revamp takes place).

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Anne-Marie Mediwake is leaving to spend time with her baby triplets, which is understandable and very common, lots of mothers want to stay home and watch their children grow up. Job security is not why she left (her husband still works at Global) and Canwst didn't make her leave to cut costs (Leslie will be getting a replacement co-anchor)

If she wanted to continue anchoring and didn't feel that her job was safe at Global (even though it was) or Global wanted her to leave she would have found a job at another station, that's not the case, she's staying home to watch her kids grow up, and it's not saving Global any money as they plan to hire a replacement.
    My own 2 cents on the matter - Anne Marie's departure is not a good thing for Global ... she was a big part of what made the News Hour 'different' from the other evening newscasts.

I suggest Global return Robin Gill to Toronto to fill this spot or locate Sarika Sehgal.